Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Sport Headlights best deal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Headlights best deal

Just purchased a pair of sport headlights for about half the price of others. Pretty jazzed about the $ I saved and want to share with others.
EBAY ads NOT allowed on DTR
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 PM

Yep, pretty sweet deal. That's where I got mine a few years ago. Have worked out good. Now add some relay harnesses and some high output bulbs and you'll really see some light finally.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 AM

Yep building a harness with relays now. I guess ebay adds aren't allowed, no ill intentions on my part just trying to help out some fellow Ram owners. Can I say the seller's name? It was carpartswholesale.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where's good place to get inexpensive premade wiring harnesses?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
Where's good place to get inexpensive premade wiring harnesses?
Maybe someone else can chime in here because I don't know. I'm making my own with 12 gauge wire and auto relays that I had acquired over the years. I purchased the plugs online with 12 gauge leads on them.
Any good harness will be a bit pricey whether you build yourself or someone else builds.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
www.suvlights.com have made up harnesses w/relays. Also check out www.danielsternlighting.com. I believe he will make them up or he may have kits. I have not used either, but have read about them on forums.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I have not used the suv lights harness but I have read a few complaints about them (it sounded like they stood behind their product and made them good) however it seems a lot of people use them and are quite happy with them so you probably cant go wrong with them. I did buy one from Daniel Stern. He sells kits and you put it together with your wire or he will build one for you. I chose to have him build one for me and I must say I was very impressed with the quality. He used a nice flat ribbon cable to go from one side to the other very nice sanitary install. It was a simple plug and play install and the lights were not a bad install either. Would have been even easier if I wouldnt have had to remove my DOR bumper but even with that 90 minutes from start to finish I thought was a pretty good time investment for the return of finally being able to see at night. You know your lights suck but you dont know what you have been missing until you do the conversion.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:12 AM

are you puttin the relays in so that both low and hi beams are on when you put it on hi?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey BarryG,whats a DOR bumper?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by DieselRebel24
are you puttin the relays in so that both low and hi beams are on when you put it on hi?
No, I don't want to take the chance of smoking my new headlights.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:07 AM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Steve,

Can you PM me a link where you got yours? I tried searching the the Carpartswholesale but couldn't come up with anything on Ebay.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steve R. - I purchased and installed Sport Headlights with the SUV Lighting harness. I also installed my Bright Box on them.

I was concerned that there might be a heat problem so I monitered my headlights when on HIGH (brights) with all 4 bulbs lit and have not seen any issue caused by heat and also no problems whatsoever on low beams with all 4 bulbs lit.

I've been running my setup since Jan-2009 and the only thing I had to do is change my bulbs when they burn out which is regular maintenance.

FYI, Bulbs I use are 45/55W-> 9004/HB1 & 55w/65w --> 9007/HB5
Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by vrj
Steve R. - I purchased and installed Sport Headlights with the SUV Lighting harness. I also installed my Bright Box on them.

I was concerned that there might be a heat problem so I monitered my headlights when on HIGH (brights) with all 4 bulbs lit and have not seen any issue caused by heat and also no problems whatsoever on low beams with all 4 bulbs lit.

I've been running my setup since Jan-2009 and the only thing I had to do is change my bulbs when they burn out which is regular maintenance.

FYI, Bulbs I use are 45/55W-> 9004/HB1 & 55w/65w --> 9007/HB5
That's good to know, will keep in mind. Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2000 I need to replace the Headlight housings on because they are extremely "Yellowed & Cloudy". How do I know if my truck is a sport model? I really do not want to install relay's, mess with wiring, or get too in depth. I just want a good clean set of replacements and I will add other lights as accesory lighting if I need more light. Ideas?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Kerry
A DOR Bumper is a denver off road bumper
http://www.denver-offroad.com/

New2Diesel
Sport headlights are easy to spot they have two bulbs per side instead of one. They were originally only availbable on the SPORT model trucks. I think you need to replace the housings to get clear non-yellowed lenses meaning you cant buy just the lense. And as such you may as well get the sport headlight housings as aftermarket they are only a few dollars more and you get much better light. Now you will also have to change or should say add a harness but the SUVlights harness is plug and play it is not hard to put in. The actual harness installation is maybe 15 minutes. You just unplug the headlight connector plug it into the harness then plug the new harness into each headlight assembly and run a power wire to the battery from the new harness. Changing the housings is not hard either.

There is also a product/kit out there by I think it is 3M that polishes the existing lenses that should be available at most auto parts stores. I have heard that it does a fairly decent job.
http://www.autogeek.net/3m-headlight-kit.html I have no idea about that vendor just showing the product.

Quick Reply: Sport Headlights best deal