Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

soft ride rear leafs?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
soft ride rear leafs?

Anyone running soft ride rear leafs that actually flex when the bed is empty?
The roads up here are horrible, its like im offroading on the way to work.
just about whacking my head on the roof when I hit some of these things. and the poor truck is just shaking itself to pieces. Front is bad but the rear is awful when empty, which is to be expected its a work truck not a cadillac ;p
Tried some leaf packs but I think its worse than it was before.
Looking for 2" lift soft leafs and will probably add air bags when I haul.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard nothing but good about, these
Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
There's something called Velvet Ride shackles which are supposed to help soften harsh rides.
.....Sorry.....I just checked and they're apparently no longer available. What shocks are you using?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 AM

aluminum body bilsteins.. forget the model number. Had rancho rs9000x in there before too, no real improvement.
Pretty sure whats going on is the springs arent really compressing so the damping doesnt come into play much. When I load up the truck it rides nice. But it doesnt stop as well, and it sucks down more fuel
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

I'm looking at the same option...A little softer spring...I already have the air bags for heavy loads...which I needed after I lowered the back end by 3 inchs..
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Carli Suspension, an off-road fabrication company has a great way to resolve the hard ridding issue of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton Dodges. By removing the stock load spring out of the Dodge leaf pack, and installing a new add-a leaf pack, you get a full range of progressive dampening that was not possible before with the stock set up. If this does not suffice, there is also a company called Deaver Leaf Spring, that actually has a full 12 leaf pack that is a direct replacement. The latter of the 2 choices is usually an excellent choice for the avid off-roader, but also excellent for a daily driver. I had a full replacement pack on my last truck and was very pleased with performance, but it was definitely not the most 'cost efficient' option.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 AM

I went with a leaf pack last time. Worked great for a couple weeks, but now all it does is give me a little lift to match the front end. Ride is awful =(
Im going for a full leaf spring when I do this next time so its done right.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:23 AM

not sure what leaf packs you used, but I promise they will not deliver what carli does, there is a huge difference in ride quality, its the same coils used in baja off rd trucks, I could not believe the difference, they are not cheap but worth every dollar, as the saying goes you get what you pay for. for the rear they remove the overloads and add a stack of thin springs under your stock 3 upper leaves, dont know how it makes a difference but ride quality certainly improves. I was on the fence when I was placing my order and the vender must have known because he offered to buy them back if I had installed them and was not happy. he also told me he has never had to buy any back that he has sold.

if your off roading and tired of feeling every bump, this is the way to go. I used to have to crawl over a set of double rail road tracks, now I can hit them at 50mph and hardly feel them.

can you tell I'm a happy customer?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
nick any comparision to the Pure progressive rate coils or atlas leaf spring system? I was thinking of going the 6" route to replace my current skyjunker system
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Chapter President

You could always trade for one of those cars that looks like a truck, think they call it a, what was that a...., uhmmmmm, duramax? Just kidding!!

You could shoot these folks an email as well to see what they have. Think somebody said they make the springs for a lot of other places. I've emailed and talked with a guy about front springs for my truck. Believe he is waiting for me to get him a weight on my truck so he can custom build springs for the front according to what I have. A bit more pricey than some other springs I've seen but can tell the guy what I want and they'll make it happen.

http://www.coilsprings.com/default.aspx
Old 05-08-2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
nick any comparision to the Pure progressive rate coils or atlas leaf spring system? I was thinking of going the 6" route to replace my current skyjunker system
sorry i cant compare to anything other than stock and carli, coils cost me 500$ canadian, should be cheaper in the US.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Carli Suspension is the ultimate solution.... if you feel like spending the bucks!
For me, when empty, 800 lbs (2-55 gal drums) in the bed does the trick.
Rides like a caddy.... at least feel that way, by comparison.

RJ
Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Carli or Thuren Fabrication have a quality solution for Dodge suspensions.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM

I think lorenz (spelling could be wrong) offers a spring that is in leaque with carli and it is less expensive, I think I read somewhere they have some kind of common connection...
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Originally Posted by nickg
sorry i cant compare to anything other than stock and carli, coils cost me 500$ canadian, should be cheaper in the US.
What is the company name you got your springs from??May have to go this way also..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: soft ride rear leafs?