Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   So who's running an exhaust backpressure gauge? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/so-whos-running-exhaust-backpressure-gauge-238287/)

wcbcruzer 03-27-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked500R (Post 2433356)
I you want a gauge for reading how your turbo or turbo's are performing and what's going on... Invest into an air intake temp gauge ! It's not about what comes out the exhaust... It is what your putting in that matters. I can write a long post about turbo charged air intake temperature but I'll save that for later if need be.. [coffee]

Well shoot, I'll install an air intake temp gauge too! [laugh] I've got 4 or 5 gauges laying around as well as a triple dash pod. Might as well use them if I could. So what's the point behind an air intake temp gauge? It seems like the gauge needle won't move too much.

Originally Posted by ah64id (Post 2433386)
You can't really filter soot, most of it is sub micron.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's just too fine. The filter might help but eventually something will still clog.

Homestead 03-27-2009 11:02 PM

I've run a back pressure guage for about 6 years now.

It's plumbed with a kit from BD Power. Basically all it is is a 12 inch stainless steel line off the exhaust brake elbow then transitions into standard 1/8 inch nylon boost line up to the guage. BD does use a damper/filter of some sort on the end of the stainless line. It hasn't clogged yet in 6 years and I use the exhaust brake everyday.

You might think it's a waste of a guage but until you run one, you won't really realize just how useful it is. Obviously it shows your exhaust braking pressure but it also shows your exhaust system restriction when your really hammering on it. I had a muffler collapse on me and it showed it right away. I like it for the fact that it just monitors your pressure when your really using the exhaust brake. 40 psi on the guage is a lot of braking power!! 50 will lock the tires up on wet pavement. It just gives you an good indication of the braking power at different speeds and in different gears.

Jeff

Jfaulkner 03-28-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer (Post 2432833)
Well that sounds good. Does your plastic tubing heat up a lot to the touch or turn black? How many feet of copper and plastic tubing are you running?

Have you noticed any memory loss symptoms lately? Maybe some carbon monoxide is making it's way past the gauge and into the cab? [laugh] just kidding.

Actually I do have a leak but it's not the gauge. It's the wastegate spacer between the manifold and the top turbo. haha I think I used like 3' of copper (coiled it's only about 1') then plastic the rest of the way. The plastic turned black in the first day but the gauge works fine.

Originally Posted by my_samurai (Post 2433223)
whats the point??i mean no muffler why worry..sounds like a waste of money to me

Well my backpressure is consistent with my boost (1:1) until about 70psi of boost, then it spikes and pegs the 100psi gauge when the boost gets above 80. So it helps me set my external wastegate. If your not running much over a stock turbo it's probably not needed but it's a good idea if your doing many mods.

MCummings 03-31-2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id (Post 2433386)
You can't really filter soot, most of it is sub micron.

Just put a tiny little DPF on it, LOL. j/k

Merrick