Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty, Smarty, SMARTY!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not at all.

I have a fine VP and no leaks, and I can get GOBS of smoke off-idle.

Off-idle smoke is simply the engine's fueling rate increasing faster than the engine's air supply can. Nothing more.

With the Smarty, the "no timing" softwares (the even numbers) smoke a lot easier than the normal Catcher softwares.

You have a lot of smoke because you have a lot of fuel, and the Smarty's really optimized in your case when it has to be compromised to play with an Edge product.

Regular Smarty has dynamic timing. To play better with an Edge product, it has to forfeit it's excellent timing control, and "dumb down" itself to not let the Edge cause problems.

That's why the spoolup of the regular Catcher is better then on the "even number" setting, given all else the same.

JMO
Old 06-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Smarty has dynamic timing. To play better with an Edge product, it has to forfeit it's excellent timing control, and "dumb down" itself to not let the Edge cause problems.
so are you saying that the smarty actually performs better WITHOUT the edge??

also would just cutting the edge off have the same effect as removing?? (to test it both ways for a while??)

Smarty is quite a few paychecks away, but sounds nice
Old 06-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can turn your "edge Box" off...must be a comp? I would still unplug the data port as well as turning it off...as a precaution.

IMO, Smarty has smoother, gentler timing. In cold weather there is no timing rattle, like with Edge. I have always thought Edge has timing "on" full all the time. Marco seems to have the timing ramping up with added power. Just my guess but that's how it feels!

RJ
Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM

There is less smoke than when I first installed #9. The truck is a delight to drive now. I just need a clutch and some mach 4's and I will be set.....right? Haha.
R
Old 06-02-2006, 08:49 PM

So should a guy stick with the comp and smarty. If so, what are the best settings to run with??? Thanks a bunch..
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 AM

I just installed my smarty tonight and downloaded #8.I run the comp on 5x5 and the truck is so much faster than with the comp alone.Im extremely impressed.I have gobs of low end torque to get me going fast and the comp fills in with top end fueling.it smokes extremely now(well extremely for me).So with normal driving I turn the comp off and just run the catcher8 with no timing and the truck still runs way better with better throttle response,idle ans smoothness.i would run a tst if I were to do it again,hey maybe my buddy will buy the comp.Has anyone ran both stacks and which is better,probably the tst i would guess.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by LJTyre
so are you saying that the smarty actually performs better WITHOUT the edge??

also would just cutting the edge off have the same effect as removing?? (to test it both ways for a while??)
Smarty with an edge comp should outperform a smarty due to the comp's fueling, but a smarty with a tst should outperform a smarty with a comp.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
......i would run a tst if I were to do it again,hey maybe my buddy will buy the comp.Has anyone ran both stacks and which is better,probably the tst i would guess.
"Tiger Rag" is only one I know that has tested both stacked on a Smarty. He pulled 48-50 psi boost with Edge Comp...and 55 psi with TST PM3.
So the TST appears to fuel more heavily....at least when stacked on the Smarty!

I love my TST/Smarty #7 combo
Smarty on #9 is awesome...but a little to sensitive for my Size 13's!

RJ
Old 06-03-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
"Tiger Rag" is only one I know that has tested both stacked on a Smarty. He pulled 48-50 psi boost with Edge Comp...and 55 psi with TST PM3.
So the TST appears to fuel more heavily....at least when stacked on the Smarty!

I love my TST/Smarty #7 combo
Smarty on #9 is awesome...but a little to sensitive for my Size 13's!

RJ
Yep, no doubt, the TST fuels more heavily on top. Still not sure I like the TST/Smarty combo better than Edge Comp/Smarty combo better. I've got all 3 stacked right now using the Comp in EZ mode. I'd like to do a dyno to test many options. I'm going to do it, but just not sure when. I guess not having my head o-ringed, the TST just scares me a little with the twins. I can't imagine how sick the TST Comp must be
Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Yep, no doubt, the TST fuels more heavily on top............... I guess not having my head o-ringed, the TST just scares me a little with the twins. I can't imagine how sick the TST Comp must be
The TST Comp added 25 hp for me...on the dyno. It's surprisingly noticable in the SOP as well.
Unfortunately, it's not usable all the time
Mark Chappel made the TST call for as much fuel as the VP-44 can deliver comfortably. The TST Comp will deliver more for short bursts, but will cause a fairly severe shudder, on settings above #5, when you back off with the right foot. I have read it's fuel starvation/cavitation....but I'm no experts.

It's fun to have for occasional dynos or drag racing, and only cost $50.00 to upgrade. #5 Comp = #9 regular TST...and works just as smoothly!

RJ