Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty, Smarty, SMARTY!!

Old 05-22-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
My only complaint with the Smarty is it's hard not to make smoke, the power is there but it comes with smoke off idle. Gets kinda old just trying to drive around town. I went to SW# 6 and it helped but still there.

I tried bumping the sw down on mine to help control smoke, but found the additional spool on the higher sw's seemed to help clear smoke faster. Sw1 is very clean. I'm running sw9 and can drive the truck smoke free if I don't lug it and I roll into the throttle. When rolling into the throttle I can ride the line between clean, haze, and smoke.

Actually I rolled into it a bit too much at an interstate onramp this last weekend. I didn't see the car pull in behind me until I was already into it. Turns out that mustang I smoked was my boss
Old 05-23-2006, 02:05 AM

I have a very simple way to know if and when I have a boost leak.
Off idle smoke...OR a restricted air filter.

Marco
Old 05-23-2006, 10:21 AM

I tried bumping the sw down on mine to help control smoke, but found the additional spool on the higher sw's seemed to help clear smoke faster. Sw1 is very clean. I'm running sw9 and can drive the truck smoke free if I don't lug it and I roll into the throttle. When rolling into the throttle I can ride the line between clean, haze, and smoke.
Yah I only bumped it down to get rid of the extremely touchy throttle i had when SW#8 was in.
I'm running sw9 and can drive the truck smoke free if I don't lug it and I roll into the throttle.
That's more or less what I'm experiencing. It's hard to find the sweet spot when taking off from a light. The Smarty seems to dump fuel at a certain spot if I take off from a light to quickly with too much pedal.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 PM

Well I recieved my smarty today!! (ear to ear!) Had the Van Aaken still hooked up for the first outing (wanted to wait til I got to the shop to take it off) NEway I ran the Smarty on 8 for the most fueling possible and let the VA do its thing. Only drove a few miles with it and all I can say is wow!!! The power in the bottom end is insane (well for me at least ) I pulled the VA off and am going to see if I can really tell a difference with it gone and the Smarty on 9. If not then.. well.. Anybody looking for a VA??

Now why didn't I buy this sooner??
Old 05-25-2006, 05:42 PM

Even better is a comp used as an ez set on 5x5 and smarty on sw#8. Can you say bottom end torque? -RAY-
Old 05-25-2006, 05:52 PM

Even better is a comp used as an ez set on 5x5 and smarty on sw#8. Can you say bottom end torque?
Is it better than with the comp hooked up as it should be?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:00 PM

No, but a powermax comp stacked on top of those two would.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duallydave
.....just a warning though some guys with stock trucks have not been to impressed with the smarty....,i let a buddy try it with his stocker and he wasnt impressed
I have had several with stock trucks that loved the Smarty! Also had one that did not really think there was a big difference??
Can't impress everyone...I guess!

RJ
Old 05-26-2006, 04:39 PM

I just put a Smarty on my stock truck and I found that it is night and day. I think it is amazing. I do however see lots of smoke at acceleration right as the turbo spools. Is this normal?
R
Old 05-26-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rbattle
....I do however see lots of smoke at acceleration right as the turbo spools. Is this normal?
Pre boost smoke it perfectly normal...especially in the warm weather...more so if you're on a high SW setting.

RJ
Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 PM

Even with stock injectors? I can smoke pretty good.
R
Old 05-26-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
did you install a boost elbow too?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:19 PM

The boost elbow is all the way down and will not let any air past. It works well. It creates boost easily. Max boost is 30.
R
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 PM

Hey Bnold, how'd you like it without the VA? Are you keeping the VA hooked up, or switching it for a comp, or just running the smarty by itself now?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 PM

Unhappy

So if I have smoke off an idle, my vp is on it's way out or I have a boost leak??? I run on #8 and comp on 3x5 and smoke is crazy starting out in 2nd gear!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smarty, Smarty, SMARTY!!