Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Shoot me now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot me now!

So I finally get my Edge Comp installed this afternoon. I THOUGHT I had correctly installed my boost gauge. I ran out of time to install the pyro. I fire up the truck, everything is fine. Backed out of the shop and notice the tube running to the boost guage turned green. Pulled back in the shop, and shut her down. Whaddaya know, me in all of my infinite wisdom connected it to a coolant gallery! So I reinstalled the plug and cried as I put my boost guage back in the cab after shaking out the antifreeze. I fire up the truck to head home for the night and the check engine light comes on now. It wasnt on earlier so why is it on now!?! Then I say to heck with it....I just need to get home so I leave. The truck stumbles like it has a boost leak then BAM smoke and shes gone! Didnt stumble again the whole way home. Temptation got the better of me as I went down the on-ramp to the highway. Bumped it up to 5x5 and laid the hammer down, was pretty dang fast! Not the break neck speed I had envisioned but faster none the less. So here I am 5 hours, 3 calls to Edge tech support, one call with a DTR member, and countless cuts on my hands later I still have no guages and a nice shiny new check engine light. What a day. What I wouldnt give for a local performance shop that catered to diesel engines! Edge needs to seriously work on their illustrations in their instruction manual! I wanna go rip out stumps and smoke camaro's but without instruments to monitor the vitals I dont think it wise. And that check engine light has me a little worried. How do I get rid of it? No way I am tearing that Comp back out for a trip to the dealership! I would rather low crawl through broken glass! Sorry guys.....needed to vent! Any input is welcome and appreciated. Suggestions, comments, critisizm.....fire away!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 PM

Be sure you have the right COMP for your year truck.

'98.5 - '00 are diferent from '01 - '02.

Make sure you have a good ground, make sure the correct wire is pierced on the injection pump, make sure it is fully pierced.

Make sure the COMP has a good Key-on power source.

What else?

Run down to AutoZone and have them pull the codes (it's free, but they won't erase 'em), and tell us what codes you have.

To get rid of your light (sometimes freak lights happen), disconnect both batteries, and with both batteries disconnected, either try to lock/un-lock the doors, start the truck, or, if you are not to afraid, touch the positive and negative cable together of the wires coming from the truck. (Make sure they don't have any power,,, the goal here is to drain the ECM capacitors.)

Merrick
Old 02-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Yeah....got the right Comp. Was sure of that since I had problems with steering stabilizers and the parts house in the past. I soldered the wire onto the correct wire so I know it has good continuity. I used the spare fuse as suggested and I have no problems with the unit powering up or shutting off. I will have to get the codes pulled....is there anything I can buy that will pull the codes AND allow me to erase them? This was supposed to be fun! Ha-Ha!
Old 02-28-2005, 08:04 PM

Dont feel bad. We all have dumb stuff like that happen. When i went to install my boost fitting i dropped the darned thing right between the pump, and the motor. Couldnt get it out, and finally when dad got home, he got it out. Its always something no matter how simple it SHOULD be. Also, when i put in the transgo shift kit. We messed with the Valve Body an hour, after unbolting it, and trying to figure out how to get it out. We thought it must still have a fastener somewhere, and were looking all over for it, and i pulled just a little harder than we had been pulling(didnt want to break anything), and it slipped right out. So maybe you wont feel so bad now

Eric
Old 02-28-2005, 08:13 PM

When things can go bad, they usually do....

My local AutoZone has no problem erasing codes for me after reading them, I believe you can just disconnect your battery afterwards too.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:07 PM

He has an 02.

Just cycle the key on and off, on and off, on and off then on. I think that is the proper sequence.

Then just read the codes in the mileage window. Write them down and then post them.

Justin

PS, please fill in your profile, it makes t much easier for us to help you.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
So maybe you wont feel so bad now

Eric
This should probably be in the 'Other' section, but I hope it will help. I finally found my mechanix glove after 4 months!!! I dropped it in between the radiator and intercooler back in August. I searched the shop high and low for it when I lost it, but only found it when we were replacing the clutch. I wonder if that will get me another .1 at the strip... it was acting like a cold-front/air-blocker.

brandon.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by joefarmer
I wonder if that will get me another .1 at the strip... it was acting like a cold-front/air-blocker.

brandon.
That glove removed from from the intercooler MIGHT, and that's a big might, cancel out the drag from the air whoooshing through between your ears....

Just Playin', Brandon...What's that sound, sounds like wind?!?!
Chris
Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 PM

i hate installing things on my truck because something always get to me bad but then i have to step a way for 10-20 mins to get over it