Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Scotty Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 02:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotty Air Intake

Where can I get a Scotty Air Intake for a 98 12valve, or can I?

I had one on my 03 and loved it.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Good luck finding one, they haven't been made for years now. Might get lucky and find one in the classifieds or on Ebay.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Chapter President

That's a shame... Kinda thought that might be the case as I tried finding one...

Any recommendations for the next best thing?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
You can contact DTR Member "Scotty" here and he may be able to help you out with one. Also, I would post in the CLASSIFIEDS a "WANTED" ad for a Scotty and see if any of the DTR Members might have one to sell.

-------
John_P
Old 01-03-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Wow, haven't heard anyone talk about the Scotty in going on ten years. For the same money and a 4" hole saw, I'm sure you could make something similar out of gigantic PVC and some flex hose.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
that intake SUCKS!!!

cold air.

hi John!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 PM

So anyone know why they stopped making them? cause 10 years later and there is still a want. I would think even a 4th gen version could be made..

to bad the good brands and ideas that have ended while the other ideas that are still around that were mass produced and shoved into the faces of John Q Public because that said company had the marketing and money and not always the better product or best value for the customer.

RANT...
Old 01-05-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
So anyone know why they stopped making them? cause 10 years later and there is still a want. I would think even a 4th gen version could be made..

to bad the good brands and ideas that have ended while the other ideas that are still around that were mass produced and shoved into the faces of John Q Public because that said company had the marketing and money and not always the better product or best value for the customer.

RANT...
I remember when the Scotty intake was around. I'm not knocking its ability to deliver cool air to the engine but if there was two things I distinctly remember, it was that many had a hard time wanting to saw a 4" hole in their firewall and when installed the in-cab noise of the turbo was very loud. Although I understand the EGT reduction was considerable.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I disagree with much of what is being said here about the "Scotty" Air Filter. Both my Son and I bought and installed them on our Dodge CTD Pickup Trucks and IMHO it was one of the BEST filter systems we ever used!

I still have mine but need a bigger filter on my 1996 Dodge CTD Pickup Drag Race Truck as I have twin turbos and they need ALOT of air. I never minded drilling that four (4) inch hole as the forced air coming into that filter system from that location was COLD and EFFICIENT! And no,.....I do not want to sell mine!

-----------
John_P
Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by John_P
I still have mine but need a bigger filter on my 1996 Dodge CTD Pickup Drag Race Truck as I have twin turbos and they need ALOT of air. I never minded drilling that four (4) inch hole as the forced air coming into that filter system from that location was COLD and EFFICIENT! And no,.....I do not want to sell mine!

-----------
John_P
C'mon John... Help a brother out... If your going to something different, don't Bogart your old one...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
I disagree with much of what is being said here about the "Scotty" Air Filter. Both my Son and I bought and installed them on our Dodge CTD Pickup Trucks and IMHO it was one of the BEST filter systems we ever used!

-----------
John_P
Dont misunderstand what I'm saying John..... All I know is what I remember from the years gone by. Thats by no means me saying it was (is) a terrible system, only a neutral opinion.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So now I'm curious, what's the scotty intake? I just searched, read several posts and threads, but no pictures...
Anyone have any pictures of one? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I'm confused about the 4in hole in the firewall part...
Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 PM

It was an air intake system which used a larger air filter like the aFe or BHAF, but was longer and slimmer and fit within an enclosed filter housing. Then instead of pulling air from under the hood inside the engine compartment or a hose reaching somewhere under the truck, you had to drill a 4" hole in the firewall. Then run a large 4" tube the short distance from the firewall to the enclosed air filter. This allowed the intake air to be pulled from the coldest, least turbulent place on the vehicle, the cowl. But because now the turbo noise has a direct path to the cowl area, the turbo noise was drastically increased in the cab. Most female passengers didn't approve.

Like said, the Scotty allowed for seriously reduced EGT's but the two biggest drawbacks were the 4" hole and the noise. Other than that it was awesome and revolutionary for the time. Some people even tried just drilling the hole and running a tube to their stock airbox. Not sure how well that worked though. Google images should show a few pictures.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Here is a picture of one:

You definitely get more turbo whistle with the 4 inch hole, even more if you have the silencer ring out. I now run with the silencer ring in as that seems to be the best balance of performance and whistle. You can block the hole with a small piece of cardboard and reduce the noise almost back to stock levels.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Bringing it back

Has anyone put any effort into trying to either bring back the plastic version or mold one out of fiberglass? Idk if it would be worth the trouble with fiberglass, it beats spending $300-400 on an overpriced airbox.

Quick Reply: Scotty Air Intake