Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

"Rig for Red!"--Instrument Color Change Project (w/Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phil, I converted my dome and maps to ultraviolet leds. It doesn't hurt the night vision and a standard roadmap will jump out at you. Plus it gets alot of looks if you have a white shirt on. Forgot to mention, they're worthless for anything else. I have to keep a flashlight handy.

Jeremy
Old 10-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Chapter President

Got on a little red road in S. Carolina one time in a double bunk pete and 48' covered wagon.(wrong turn).Could see my own tail lights going around corners. People standing out in the yard waving as I went by.New I was in big trouble.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:40 AM

Has anyone used GREEN I think that would look good matching the rest of the truck. I think red or green would be alot easier on the eyes at night rather than the bright white light.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by d0dg301
Has anyone used GREEN I think that would look good matching the rest of the truck. I think red or green would be alot easier on the eyes at night rather than the bright white light.

Yea I just was gonna ask that?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 AM

i just put red bulbs in my map lights...wife calls them mood lights and is wondering who I'm trying to get romantic with

I thought about green but I couldnt find any green bulbs...Just blue and red
Old 10-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Herrin821
i just put red bulbs in my map lights...wife calls them mood lights and is wondering who I'm trying to get romantic with

I thought about green but I couldnt find any green bulbs...Just blue and red
CAn you get pics
Old 10-30-2005, 10:14 AM

yeah...folks been hollering for pics for a month...Today or Tomorrow I'll put pics in my gallery of my truck, the mood lights, my new fuse blocks, backup lights, and our trucks at work
Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dig'umz
Phil, I converted my dome and maps to ultraviolet leds. It doesn't hurt the night vision and a standard roadmap will jump out at you. Plus it gets alot of looks if you have a white shirt on. Forgot to mention, they're worthless for anything else. I have to keep a flashlight handy.

Jeremy
more info please.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:39 AM

UV led's?? I first just figured blacklights, but LED?? Cool
Old 10-30-2005, 12:44 PM

Blacklight is right. Made buy jamstraight. I got them at a local chrome shop. A direct replacement for the peanut style bulbs. I had to modify the light holders to aim the bulbs down. For the dome light I drilled a hole in the center of the reflector and bought a light socket for a 194 bulb and put it in the hole. Rewired it to the old harness and it workes fine. The map lights are more tricky. Pull the reflector out and move the light socket up into the plastic frame work and glue it or whatever you feel like so that it points down. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart. Leds don't respond well to reflectors is why I pulled them and aimed the lights down. Like I said earlier, they work great for maps but are worthless to find something dropped in the floorboard at night.

Jeremy
Old 10-30-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by d0dg301
Green isn't very good for the night vision. That's why I wish I could change the main gauge cluster from green to red. Seriously, go driving on a dark highway at night and turn your dash brightness all the way up. Then look down at your gauges for a minute--then look back up. Your eyes have to do quite a bit of adjusting. So I'd say no green.

The UV thing is interesting. I might consider installing a separate overhead blacklight for mapreading. I don't think I'd want to make all the overhead lights blacklights though. Good idea!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:44 PM

as soon as its dark I'll snap another pic

These are Eiko bulbs from O'reilly's...I picked up some Victor bulbs from Advance, and they suck...They were more pink than red...The Eiko are much darker with better color and less glare

Old 10-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Did y'all see all the red light pics I posted at the top of this thread? I used the bulbs from AutoZone for the cup holder light and the glovebox light. For the overhead lights, I used theatrical spotlight gels, since I couldn't find decent red bulbs that were the same as the factory ones. I also used those gels on the overhead computer and the stereo display.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:02 PM

Red @ night....The pic is misleading....There is ample light to read a map, wife can dig thru her purse, etc..It's bright, but not obnoxious like clear bulbs

Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 AM

Well I'm getting there. I bought red 168R bulbs at AutoZone (they're the brightest mini bulbs you can get) and retrofitted the bulb holders that plug into the back of the instrument cluster to hold the red bulbs. Then I installed all 5 of them or whatever. It kind of came out a bit purple, but it's close enough to red for me and is definitely more muted than the previous BRIGHT GREEN. Note: I used another piece of spotlight gel on the odometer display (sandwiched in behind the gauge face).

Now on to the HVAC bulbs (which are much smaller and an odd size...probably going to have to use gels on them).

Quick Reply: "Rig for Red!"--Instrument Color Change Project (w/Pics!)