Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

"Rig for Red!"--Instrument Color Change Project (w/Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Rig for Red!"--Instrument Color Change Project (w/Pics!)

This little project started out as me just wanting to change the color of the domelight and maplights from white to red so that I wouldn't lose my night vision when I had to turn them on while driving. It turned into a bit more of a project.

I first went to a local audio equipment rental store that also rents lighting equipment. There, I spent about $3 on a few sheets of colored transparent spotlight "gels". I got a couple different reds of varying thicknesses and darknesses. The guy explained to me that a brighter light needs a darker gel. Then I went home, cut an oval piece that would fit inside the domelight, and voila! Red domelight!

Then I went to the overhead console and maplights. Did the exact same thing. Boom. Red maplights.

Then I decided to go ahead and make all the little under-the-dash accessory lights red instead of green. So I went to AutoZone and bought some of the little red replacement bulbs. I switched out the bulb in the glovebox, cup holder, and ash tray (I keep my iPod in there). Voila! Red accessory lights!

Then I started getting a little creative...

I decided that I wanted to change the color of the computer in the overhead console from green to red. So I took that assembly apart and slipped a piece of the gel in there. Bingo! Just want I wanted!

Post continues below...
Old 03-16-2005, 11:09 AM

Then I decided to change the color of the Biolite display on my Alpine CDA-9835 head unit (stereo) from white to red/amber so that it wouldn't mess up my night vision and so that it'd match the other buttons (which I have set to amber). Here's what it looks like normally (note that I have the buttons SET to another color in this picture also--I've recently been running it with the buttons all set to amber):

Anyway, so I started by carefully taking apart the face plate and inserting a square of the gel into it in front of the display. You just have to be sure to use a good precision screwdriver and to press down hard on the screws so that you don't strip the heads. Turns out it worked great in the end! Here!

And here's you a look at the finished product, minus the head unit cause I couldn't get it in the shot.

Now it's time to get to the instrument cluster and HVAC controls...
Old 03-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

Very impressive looking and very clean. I can't wait to see it in person.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:50 AM

Very nice job! Not Night Vision Goggle (NVG) compatable, but doubt that'll be an issue for ya.

On a serious note, red light will not allow you to read/see anything on paper in red (like on a road map). It washes it out completely. Just FYI.

Dave
Old 03-16-2005, 04:38 PM

i wish it would get to 52 here. but that looks cool. hows the difference between the green cluster and the over head computer lights?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:31 PM

Thats sweet. So any other colors that dont hurt night vision as much?? I like that idea, of not killing night vision with driving.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:25 PM

I'm not sure. On military helicopters, they use red. That's what I'm familiar with at least.

In all fairness, the overhead computer came out as kind of a muted orange because the display is normally green. As you can see though, it still looks pretty cool next to the radar detector and domelights.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by AggiePhil
I'm not sure. On military helicopters, they use red. That's what I'm familiar with at least.
We use red on the ground.. in the air, it's a blue/green to be NVG-friendly.

Anyway, that's a GREAT job! My last 2 cars had amber/red lighting, and I miss it. I look forward to the gauges and other controls you're going to undertake!

Oh, P.S. the red bulbs from AutoZone tend to turn pink after a while.. I had them in my boost gauge in the Audi, and in the lighting contorl box in my Tacoma. Had to change them every so often when they went pink...
Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 AM

Very nice,
Now if there was only some way to change other peoples headlights it red

Man I hate people driving with highbeams . OK I'm done, Sorry
Old 03-17-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Eskimo
We use red on the ground.. in the air, it's a blue/green to be NVG-friendly.
True, but since my truck tends to only operate on the ground...
Old 03-17-2005, 05:17 PM

Just remember any red on a road map won't show up under red lights.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 PM

That looks great! So can you get that stuff at like any audio place? I cant wait to see your gauge cluster when its done. Im a fan of blue so maybe i will turn some stuff blue.

Eric
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 PM

Well just so you know, blue sucks at night IMO.

And about the red washing out red on maps... That's why I have flashlights with me at all times. Thanks for pointing that out though. For sure.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:42 PM

blue is horrible at night..... lighting and theater supply companies will sell you the red gel sheets. they are not very expensive..... www.vincentlighting.com ...... Rosco color gells should work for this purpose.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:40 AM

Bump to the top.

Quick Reply: "Rig for Red!"--Instrument Color Change Project (w/Pics!)