Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Replacing Fuel Pickup in Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing Fuel Pickup in Tank

Have read most of the threads on this subject. Has the dust settled out on what is best way to go for better flow and trouble free operation? Noticable difference?
Replace/Remove filter (membrane)?
Larger pick up line?
I like, but discarded, outside bottom feed...due to occasional off roading. Mistake?

RJ
Old 02-28-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very glad I did mine. I use a 1/2" standpipe with 1/2" ss flex to my FASS. Much quieter and no problems at all. I thought about the bottom feed but opted for the "safer" option. Liability to great with bottom feed. Much greater potential for spill. Leaking line could empty the tank.
I see no downside to replacing the OEM mess with a simple standpipe. I have had no sloshing issues or any of the other bad scenario's I played through in my head before doing the deed.
Also used a Capacitance fuel level probe with no moving parts and added a return fitting for my FASS. I have decided to lower my FASS pressure as it is now over 18psi since the tank module upgrade. No ill effects yet.

Just do it!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:38 PM

You got any pics or any suggestion on where to find parts? I would like to do this to my truck.....and probably be doing it on RJohnson's truck if it easy enough to fabricate. Some of the things done seem like a lot of modifying to get it work well. Machined fittings and such.......I don’t want to hack on my tank sending unit unless i am 100% sure its going to work...those things are expensive!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 PM

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...el+tank+module

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...el+tank+module

I post under the name Tractorface on TDR. I have attached two threads with pics. My module is a lot of welding, totally custom unit. You may want to go the route of the other pics in the first thread. Just make sure you get the line almost all the way to the bottom of the tank. I use the FASS which has a high capacity Water/fuel seperator in it. This is important because the OEM module is designed to float and is less likely to pickup water from the bottom of the tank. This only applies to start up cause once under way the fuel mixes pretty good. The idea is to reduce restriction and get away from using the Hot fuel that has just returned to the tank. I feel like Hot fuel is a big problem especially when really pushing the VP say with a comp on 5x5.
Good luck
Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 PM

I have replaced it on two trucks and have tried four different versions of pickups before I was really happy with it. The first three were on my old '01, and the last one is on dad's '02. The first 3 versions used solid tube pickups (1/2) and the better of the two used aluminum tubing welded to an aeroquip bulkhead fitting. The last version had the bulkhead fitting on top, but we added a section of SS braided line to "give" if the tank was ever hit on the bottom, and the line was coiled barber pole style around the inside of the "bomb" to the bottom section. Take my advise and do not remove any of the hard plastic "bomb" section... only drill a larger hole through the bottom to get the bigger line through. On the bottom cap, take it off, stab out all the plastic, burn the extra plastic off with a lighter, and put it back on, too. For the end of the pickup we are using another section of aluminum tubing with a flared end, and it sits snugly down at the very bottom of where the membrane is. Dad's truck can run until the low fuel light comes on without any fuel pressure fluctuation while my truck with a full hardpipe had 27 usable gallons until the light came on... my pipe was a tad short! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but I hope this helps.

John.

PS... If I had it to do again I wouldn't.... the stock pickups seems to do fine.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:03 PM
DTR Advertiser

Nathans truck, that dynoed this weekend made 659 HP on Diesel only, uncorrected. It has a stock pick up and Carter pusher pump near the tank. The lines are -6 to the VP. No banjos. Simple, cheap and effective.

Don~
Old 02-28-2005, 03:28 PM

Don & John...Thanks!

Raw Power - nice set up. More than I want to get into.

Maybe a simple Bottom feed in the future if I feel the need, or get bored enough. Probably just leave it as is.
RJ
Old 02-28-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a -8 AeroQuip bulkhead and some socketless waiting for me to do the bottom-feed conversion.

I'm not fully convinced yet that it's my module that's leaking in air, though. Thus, the pretty AQ hose and fittings sit on the bench. Once I've ruled out the injectors, crossover tubes and/or return system, then I'll convert. That, and having piece of mind about not ripping a gaping hole in my tank or breaking off the fitting.

As a side note: Aeroquip socketless is VERY impressive stuff!! It even works well with a generic plastic barb fitting. I tried and tried and could NOT get the hose to pull off the fitting once inserted (even with the "wrong" fitting-- just regular barb)

The inner lining of the hose is soft enough to where it gives the barbed fittings a death grip on the inner liner.

I'm VERY impressed with the Eaton/Aeroquip line of plumbing products. Much more happy with them than the Russel/Earl's I have used on other projects.

jlh
Old 02-28-2005, 03:59 PM

Well i do kinda agree that the stock works fine. We have a truck here with 180 HP injectors, Drag comp and fuel pressure stays at or above 16PSI all the time no matter what. We have a FASS-150-DO-98-04 also. We have had ZERO problems with fuel pick-up. Same for me...but my truck is pretty much stock as far as fueling goes. But i do have the FASS-150-DO-98-04 as well. But soon to have Mach 2's I hope!!!!! Kinda giggly! If you need to have more fuel, you are probaly a pro-dragger or puller. THEN I would imagian you would have a fuel cell for that type of thing...... Or like Don M just pointed out below........a P7100 and a motor that will rev to 4500+!! haha

Dan "Mudinford" MacDonald
Old 02-28-2005, 04:27 PM
DTR Advertiser

When I did my fuel delivery system...I had no real choice on punching the tank. I used an Aeromotive 1000 pump. They have a very efficient design in the impeller so you have to use a positive pressure on the suction side or they will cavitate like there is no tomorrow. So, from the tank I have a bung to a -10 line up to the pump inlet. From the pump to the regulator I have a -8 and from the regulator to the P pump I have a -6. Yes, I have banjos, but they are huge!

When I would rev over 4500 RPM I had a trouble with scuffing the plungers in number 1. After the stock fuel system was removed and replaced with this...no more scuffed plungers. At least not yet. That was over 2 years ago. The Areomotive is a great little pump. I dynoed a bunch of fuel pressure setting from 20 PSI to 80. In the 40 range seems to be the best.

Its just overkill for a 24 valve VP pump. Several of the locals and few on the TDR have the Aeromotives and not one has failed yet! You have to have a positive head on it though.

Don~
Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 AM

I undid the stock plastic line inside the canister and replaced it with a 3/8" hose coiled inside the stock pickup assembly and held within an 1/8" of the bottom of the tank. It's only dropped pressure on the FP guage once. That's the time I put in 26.458 gallons into my stock shortbed tank. I was glad for the large filters on the FASS that time.

brnaodn.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:11 AM

I understand that the fuel Bucket will provide enough fuel to run the big HP trucks. Fuel pressure is not the best measure of performance though. Remember we are in a marathon, the fact that LP's and VP's fail at an alarmingly high rate tells me something is wrong with our delivery system. I am not trying to sell anything so I don't have any data to bak up my claims. This is just the opinion of one person who in fairness has not a lot of expierience with our trucks. I do work with large diesel gensets all the time and know that they do not like a lot of supply side restriction. I submit that the supply side restriction on some trucks is too much for the system to handle and leads to premature pump failures. I also think the Fact that the VP return line dumps into the small bucket of fuel that feeds the VP can cause the fuel to be hotter than our VP would like. Just my two cents
Old 06-06-2005, 05:43 AM

So could a simple upgrade be to change the location or lengthen the return hose to dump further away from the pickup?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:21 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Raw power
I am very glad I did mine. I use a 1/2" standpipe with 1/2" ss flex to my FASS. Much quieter and no problems at all. I thought about the bottom feed but opted for the "safer" option. Liability to great with bottom feed. Much greater potential for spill. Leaking line could empty the tank.
I see no downside to replacing the OEM mess with a simple standpipe. I have had no sloshing issues or any of the other bad scenario's I played through in my head before doing the deed.
Also used a Capacitance fuel level probe with no moving parts and added a return fitting for my FASS. I have decided to lower my FASS pressure as it is now over 18psi since the tank module upgrade. No ill effects yet.

Just do it!
Why would you want to lower the FASS pressure?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Less strain on the VP.

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Pickup in Tank