Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

CFM+ Intake Elbow

Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
CFM+ Intake Elbow

Searched, but didn't find much recent info. What is the current thinking on adding this to the signature truck? Mainly looking for improvements in spool up, EGT, throttle response.

Thanks...
Old 08-27-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
The cfm is dictated first at the turbo inlet, not sure if the intake horn would affect much unless cfm was increased by enlarging all the pre- orifices leading to it...other than an improved con tour over the stocker...
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
The cfm is dictated first at the turbo inlet, not sure if the intake horn would affect much unless cfm was increased by enlarging all the pre- orifices leading to it...other than an improved con tour over the stocker...
By CFM+ I meant the brand of intake horn at the intake manifold, not Cubic Feet per Minute flow.

While forced air induction overcomes flow restrictions to a degree, any improvement downstream of the force can result in an improvement. The CFM+ has had good results on the dyno. I was just wondering if anyone had real world application experience with the CFM+ intake horn.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 PM

Try running around the yard and breathing thru a drinking straw. If your CFM part cant get fed up to its max flow, you won't see/feel much performance improvement...it takes a string of upgrades to actually benefit from a larger intake horn.
Usually a larger or multiple turbo set up and a throaty intercooler and larger diameter intake path will really make that part shine at the dyno.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Try running around the yard and breathing thru a drinking straw. If your CFM part cant get fed up to its max flow, you won't see/feel much performance improvement...it takes a string of upgrades to actually benefit from a larger intake horn.
Usually a larger or multiple turbo set up and a throaty intercooler and larger diameter intake path will really make that part shine at the dyno.
Depends on the pressure of the air in the straw. If I had a compressor pushing air into me, I'd need a wastegate to control the flow.

Everything along the air's path helps. Right now, I've seen dyno results and am looking for some anecdotal, specific application data. Thanks for your opinions, though.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 PM

Good point!I've always imagined getting my truck maxed out on intake and output just got other things in the way...

Your's looks like it might benefit from some more flow, maybe Katoom or one of the other performance guys will cough up some input.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A few years ago I was fortunate to find and download an article that was originally authored by Pete Tomka of Performance Systems Manufacturing and published by Turbo Diesel Register in Issue 56, dated May/Jun/July 2007, that was all about testing air intake systems - cold air systems, larger air horns, high flow filters, etc. - to see if there really is any benefit to "upgrading" to one of the many aftermarket offerings. Without going into all the details, the conclusion was that increasing the exhaust (4" +) and a higher air flow filter will net you the most power increase you're likely to see from these types of components, even measured on a dyno. The claims about getting 10-20 HP increase from many items were found to be dubious as several test factors like how the tests were run (time in between test to cool to a baseline temp, etc.) highly influenced the results. The tests also proved out that you get more bang for the buck, once you've opened the intake and exhaust, by improving on the turbo rather than spending hundreds of $$ on intake systems. Wish I could provide a link where I found this but I just don't recall now.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Good stuff. Thanks.

I have a cold air intake with an R2C Black Hex filter, a 4” Magnaflow, mandrel bent exhaust, a Smarty and a boost elbow. The power increase is noticable and the mileage is consistently up about two MPG. The FASS Titanium assisted a bit, too.

Guess I’ll hold off on the intake elbow, even though one would think that would make a difference while complimenting the other mods.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert5600
Good stuff. Thanks.

I have a cold air intake with an R2C Black Hex filter, a 4” Magnaflow, mandrel bent exhaust, a Smarty and a boost elbow. The power increase is noticable and the mileage is consistently up about two MPG. The FASS Titanium assisted a bit, too.

Guess I’ll hold off on the intake elbow, even though one would think that would make a difference while complimenting the other mods.
I bet most of that is due to the Smarty.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:40 PM

I think so, too, even though the boost elbow added more boost.