Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   question about timing boxes . . . (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/question-about-timing-boxes-254112/)

Doj Dewd 10-06-2009 05:01 PM

question about timing boxes . . .

when a box says it adds timing - is this timing standard across the board?
(ie. is smarty's timing the same as quadzilla's timing the same as edge's timing etc.)

the reason i am asking is because i would like to stack a smarty with my quad xzt+. if the timing added from each box is identical then great, but if smarty's timing is better then i may consider getting rid of the xzt+ and just running a smarty with a fuel & timing software instead of the stack.

note - i am not planning on stacking and running a smarty timing/fuel software. i know if a box already has timing that smarty should only be used on with fuel only softwares.

so what can ya' tell me about this?

high bid 10-07-2009 03:50 PM

IIRC think the quad XZT+ adds 1.5-2* of timing. I'm sure quad would have the specs if you called.

Doj Dewd 10-07-2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by high bid (Post 2597474)
IIRC think the quad XZT+ adds 1.5-2* of timing. I'm sure quad would have the specs if you called.

thanx.

anyone know the amount of the other popular timing boxes?

mikmaze 10-07-2009 04:57 PM

smarty has for a long time been considdered the best when it comes to timing, do what I and many others did.... send the quad box back in to quad and have him flash it to pressure only......... all it costs is shipping there and back. call them up, let them know what you want. they will give you a service number to include so they know what ya want. turnaround time is about ten days. but whatever you decide, do not run timing advance from both of them !

Mike Holmen 10-08-2009 08:42 PM

I would add max timing on both boxes and work backwards from there. The truck will let you now. I find that I can't use the smarty timing with my comp box timing. The edge timing is better than the smarty.

Doj Dewd, you running the quadzilla box? I always wanted to see if its as good as the claims.

Doj Dewd 10-09-2009 09:43 AM

yes, i am running the quadzilla box.
not the adrenaline though.
i am running the xzt+. it is very comparable to the edge ez.

i am planning on going to the red deer dyno . . .

Mike Holmen 10-09-2009 10:32 AM

Jason, how hazey is the RV275? You have a pyro on the truck right? I sometimes use a comp box wire unplugged on 1X1, and smarty catcher with timing. Then I use my methanol to give me that extra kick for passing. I got pretty decent fuel mileage that way. Not big power, but not bad. I prefer the edge comp box wire tap and easy catch no timing, and spray on the methanol (blue windshielf fluid) but I can go thru a 4L jug pretty fast.

Doj Dewd 10-09-2009 12:16 PM

mike -
the RV275's are not hazey at all, even with xzt+ on timing & fuel mode. with it on timing only, and i step on it from idle it will puff a bit of smoke. if set on timing & fuel when i step on it from idle it will smoke pretty good for a couple seconds, but as soon as that turbo spools all the smoke is gone. i usually (now) just drive arund in timing only and flip the switch to timing & fuel as needed.

i'd like to try a smarty one day with my setup. i think the smarty will give a littlemore furl down low as compared to the xzt+

is my magnet pick-up tool still at your place? (orange handle, with a light on the end?)

Mike Holmen 10-09-2009 02:09 PM

A orange magnet thingy, possibly, possibly. I guess you want it back[laugh]No probs.