Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty=not impressive

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty=not impressive

I went and tested a smarty on Tuesday. I was WAY excited to get to try one. I have not been that disappointed many times in my life. Spool up was faster, there was little smoke anywhere on the rpm range. I must say I will not be wasting my money on one of these because an edge comp feels lightyears faster and costs less.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SO5.9
I went and tested a smarty on Tuesday. I was WAY excited to get to try one. I have not been that disappointed many times in my life. Spool up was faster, there was little smoke anywhere on the rpm range. I must say I will not be wasting my money on one of these because an edge comp feels lightyears faster and costs less.

i too thought the same thing when i bought mine. you have to drive it for a couple of days to really appericate it. it sucks when your expecting more, but when your not expecting it, its awesome!
Trust me a smarty and 100hp or better injectors and you will be slipping you TC or clutch.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you remove the Comp and run the Smarty alone? Or did you run the two combined?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Did you remove the Comp and run the Smarty alone? Or did you run the two combined?
My truck is stock now. I was just testing to see which of the 2 options I would take. An edge comp truck identical to mine ran soooo much better.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Well the comp is rated at 120 hp and the smarty at 65 so there is your problem. However if you stack the two...wow. You'll notice a nice difference with just injectors and the smarty. On a stock truck the smarty is nice but it really shines when you have a larger turbo you need to spool up quick, you want to be able to get good fuel mileage, and you use it in stop and go traffic. A smarty by itself is good, but like you said not all that impressive..add some more stuff with it and you won't shutup about how cool it is..
Old 02-14-2007, 07:43 PM

I will have to say when I got my Smarty in this Sat. with the comp I loved it. It made a huge difference on the low end. Spoolup was better, I had less smoke. I will have to say I love my Smarty. I agree with you though the Comp does add more power than the Smarty alone but combine the 2 and its a whole new ride.
Je
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That's it. The Smarty gets to you to 65hp faster with the steeper fueling curve, the Comp gives you 120hp, but is slower to bring the power on. On the top end, you'll feel more with the Comp. But the initial takeoff with the Smarty is totally different.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

The smarty is not designed to give you the power that a comp is. It's designed to make the power that you have come in harder, faster, and sooner. It really makes daily driving so much more pleasurable.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 AM

And if you really want a wild ride, add some injectors and an adjustable TST.........I try not to bash things until I know the whole story.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 AM

i plan on stacking my TST with it...ol boy back home in SC has that stack...runs like a champ!!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Banned

I do not have a smarty but I have tried one, it was assume my truck has never ran that good. Once I can afford one I will buy one.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I installed my Smarty yesterday and had a long drive in the mountains. I must say that the driveability is outstanding. Compared to my Edge Pulse (I admit this was an old box) is much better, the responsiveness of the engine is much better now. The truck is actually easier to handle on ice now because the reactions to the go pedal are predictable, where with the Pulse it would lag, lag, lag, hit hard, bark turbo, lag, lag, lag etc.
So even if it gives less power it gives me more usable power and that's what I was after.
AlpineRAM
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM

What i would do if i were you is get both the smarty and the comp. I tried a smarty with my setup and it was very nice. its just money....
Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by blueandsilver02
What i would do if i were you is get both the smarty and the comp. I tried a smarty with my setup and it was very nice. its just money....
Thats my point. I dont have a lot of money and I am surely not going to waste it on something where I hardly even notice a gain. I want a faster truck..........not a better daily driver. I am coming from a low 12 sec. daily driver and this diesel is killing me since I can hardly even pass people.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Well then start off with the comp, but eventually down the road you will want the Smarty to stack with it...You think your mileage is bad now..wait til you throw some fuel at it with injectors and the comp..then a Smarty is very useful...

Quick Reply: Smarty=not impressive