Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Quad Adrenaline No Smoke??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/quad-adrenaline-no-smoke-296038/)

polaris_freedom 10-10-2011 12:56 AM

Quad Adrenaline No Smoke???

I have an '01 3500 with the H.O. :Cummins: and I put the Quad Adrenaline on it a couple months ago. I don't know if the Quad jus kinda sucks or if I have a problem using it but for some reason my truck barely smokes at all. I have an Air Dog 150 and DDP 50hp. injectors in it so it shouldn't have any trouble with other areas of fuel making it to the motor. I can crank the program up all the way to lvl. 10 and it only smokes with the throttle almost on the floor and even then it doesn't seem like the result +180 hp. tune. If you free rev the engine out of gear it doesn't smoke at all. The truck doesn't seem to be lacking any power overall, but I have noticed that there is little to no power or smoke difference between the lvl. 5 setting (which is what I usually run the truck in) and the lvl. 10 setting. I have tried the USB updates on the Quad website and downloaded a tune from the 2000 series which I understand is the most powerful aside from BETA. I don't want to run BETA because I love the Hi-Idle and Turbo Timer which would both go away in the BETA tunes. :banghead I don't necessarily want black clouds that are hazardous to motorists traveling behind me but I'd like enough smoke for people to at least be able to tell the truck has a programmer. I really don't know where to go from here to try to fix the issue but if anyone has any ideas for me to try, PLEASE let me know. :confused: Thanks a lot for any help.

WestTN 10-10-2011 11:16 PM

Good. We don't need smoke. It creates air pollution and gaurantees more regulalons against diesels. Creating smoke isn't really good for your engine either, due to excessive exhaust gas temterature, while also creating negative publicity for our trucks. Clean power is much more desirable.

HOHN 10-11-2011 01:29 PM

Why would you want smoke?

Smoke wastes fuel.

Smoke reduces oil life.

Smoke increases wear on all oil-lubed components.

I can live with some smoke, but I cannot see a reason to seek it out other than a lack of maturity and wisdom.

JMO

dieselfreak21 10-11-2011 03:37 PM

HO pumps don't respond as well to tunners as the SO pumps do. Also did you tap the pump wire? If not then you aren't taking fuel advantage. Aftermarket injectors tend to run cleaner than stock but 50 hp isn't alot of extra fuel. Also what turbo are you running? Do you have a an after market lift pump? If not you are starving the VP of fuel and damaging it. It could be your VP is already on its way out. Spend some money on a dyno run and run it with no power added then add power. What is your elevation? Adding power and no smoke is ideal not just for political reasons. It mean the engine is using the extra fuel efficiently and that is this goal. Unless you are in competition situation being overfuel to the point of smoking does nothing to help you out.

wurkenman 10-14-2011 10:28 AM

First check the wire to the pump tap. Most of the time this is where the problem is. Make sure you are getting a good connection. If not you only have the first three levels operating.