Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Putting in a 6 Speed... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/putting-6-speed-52949/)

wheelin66 10-16-2004 11:22 AM

Putting in a 6 Speed...

Hi guys...I know this has been covered before but I never heard anyone talk about the idea that I have. Since I am converting from an auto to a stick I need a lot of expensive parts. My question is can I use pedals, master/slave cylinders, steering column, shift lever, etc. from a 5 speed gas motor truck? I know I can get these parts for much less than the same ones from a diesel truck. Next question is will the computer from a 5 speed diesel truck work for the 6 speed? Now all that should leave me left with is driveshafts, tranny, flywheel and clutch parts. I figure I could get the flywheel and clutch parts from Southbend, have the driveshafts modified locally and simply buy a "rebuilt" 6 speed. This seems like an economical way to do this if you ask me....what do y'all think?

joefarmer 10-16-2004 11:05 PM

The only thing i can help with is that the computer should work for either the 5 or 6 speed, it doesn't care which. What's happening to the old auto tranny?

brandon.

Haulin_in_Dixie 10-17-2004 02:09 AM

The automatic ECM and PCM are different from the manual. It does not care about five speed or six speed.

wheelin66 10-18-2004 02:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys...

The auto is still the original with 146,000 miles on it. I think all the mods I have done are catching up quickly. It doesn't hunt in and out of gears but it will not hold lockup. Any throttle at all once locked up will cause the transmission to slip. It kind of sucks cause all my power is down low but the way my tranny is my engine always turns well above 2500 rpm or more unless you have cruise set on a level highway.

Bigger reason is I have always wanted a six speed but only had 2 days to buy a truck...the auto is all I could find and now I have put too much blood and sweat into this truck to part with it.

ddestruel 10-18-2004 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
The automatic ECM and PCM are different from the manual. It does not care about five speed or six speed.
But a 12v shouldnt care should it? Is there even an ECM on the 12v? [eyecrazy]

wheelin66 10-18-2004 03:32 PM

cruise control won't work without it

ddestruel 10-18-2004 03:56 PM

I thought the cruise control is vacume on a 2nd gen 12v and stand alone, so the only function of the computer on the 12v is shifting so the TPS, tach feed and Speed sensor.

Hmmm, some guys have done the 24v's from Vp to P pump and the pre 2001's are supposed to have fuel injection working just fine. I'll be interested to hear what your results are as i am buying a 98 12v auto with every intention of having cruise control and changing over to a 6spd

signature600 10-18-2004 05:03 PM

I think all the functions on a 12V are controlled through the PCM, like cruise. Don't know for sure, but I think that's how they work.

6 speed in a 12v should be really easy, I'm thinking of doing it right now, if I can find a tranny in a week, that is.

Just my thoughts, no expert opinion here,
Chris

BTW, anyone know where I can find a 6 spd for a decent price?

Haulin_in_Dixie 10-18-2004 08:09 PM

Originally posted by ddestruel
But a 12v shouldnt care should it? Is there even an ECM on the 12v? [eyecrazy]
No you are right, there is no ECM on a 12v.

wheelin66 10-19-2004 07:22 AM

I have been told that the computer behind the factory air box (not sure whether that is the ecm or pcm) needs to be replaced in order for cruise control to work. Somebody told me that who has done the conversion and said his did not work...

Let me know what you think.

signature600 10-19-2004 10:55 AM

What about speedometer pickup. Do the 6 speeds still use a gear driven system like the 5 speeds?

ddestruel 10-19-2004 11:00 AM

Originally posted by signature600
What about speedometer pickup. Do the 6 speeds still use a gear driven system like the 5 speeds?

Doesnt matter they both use ABS differential speed sensors

signature600 10-19-2004 12:27 PM

HUH?

My 95 has a pickup gear in the tranny. If I put a 6 speed in it, where do I get speedo info from? Front has no ABS, rear has no sensor that I"VE SEEN. Am I missing or forgetting something?

Thanks
Chris

Haulin_in_Dixie 10-19-2004 01:31 PM

No not correct, your 4x4 has the pickup in the transfer case. The case will be used again, wiring may be too short, but can be lengthened. The transfer case bolts to the back of the nv5600 just as it does on the automatic.

signature600 10-20-2004 10:33 AM

Haulin, You talking to me? I don't have a 4x4 or an Auto.

If you're not, Sorry.[laugh]

Chris