Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Put the 5" on today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Sounds like a Peterbilt!

The kit I bought was VERY inexpensive and went on without a single problem.

One small weld and that was it!

I've had harder times putting Apex'i exhausts on my Hondas...
Got the same kit, my only grip is my spare wont fit anymore..factory size spare. Thinking I can change the angle of the tailpipe and get it to work though.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 AM

I'm putting it on tomorrow!!!! Same kit... Any pointers? Looks like I gotta hammer it a bit to get the pipes to fit inside each other.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
I'm putting it on tomorrow!!!! Same kit... Any pointers? Looks like I gotta hammer it a bit to get the pipes to fit inside each other.
Make sure the rear hanger is HEAVY DUTY.

I snapped mine already... rubber one.

So I ground out the rivets and put a bolt between the holes on the strap and welded it there.

Some of the pipes may be a little out of round, nothing a hammer can't fix.

DON'T USE THE WASHERS Or your truck will sound like a maraca.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by sodbuster03
Got the same kit, my only grip is my spare wont fit anymore..factory size spare. Thinking I can change the angle of the tailpipe and get it to work though.
Just work it a little...

1/2" clearance from the tire and shock is all you need.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:39 AM

Well I started it today, I'll try to get it done tomorrow. It was a pita getting that stock pipe off. The install of the new pipe was pretty good though. I was actually impressed with the fitment and quality of the kit. I recommend MarkoIdaho to whoever wants to get an exhaust. I had the spare tire issue too. I'll have to see what I can do tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4
I had the same washer rattle with mine. I pulled up at my parents house and my dad told me it sounded like a had a bearing going out, but it was just one of those washers.

Wrap the tar out of it with duck tape and youll never hear it again.

Jamie
I went to Home Depot and bought nylon washers, got rid of the noise.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Still rattles though. I put two extra hangers on it and it makes a lot of vibration.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Txwelder
Still rattles though. I put two extra hangers on it and it makes a lot of vibration.
Make sure nothing ripped (rubber)

Two of my hangers already tore...

Trust me when I say its on there GOOD now...

Thanks again for the heads up on the kit!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:54 AM

Not a problem, I will check those hangers and make sure they are good. But I did buy the double thick rubber hangers and not the thin less expensive ones.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 PM

Holy! Just started up the truck for the first time after installing the exhaust. I can't drive it yet cause I gotta weld a couple more hangers and I'm waiting for my neighbor to get home. But I couldn't wait so I sat there and revved it up in the driveway and WOW! My neighbors across the street stopped and looked.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 PM

By the way, what are you guys doing about rear hanger? I'm talking about the very last one by the rear bumper.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 AM

I used one of the left over clamps that already had a rod welded to it. Then used a U-bolt from my stock system that I straightened out and some washers and nuts to mount it through one of the existing holes in the frame in that area. I bent the U-bolt to use as a hanger and made sure everything mounted securely and tightly between the hanger and the extra clamp. Worked out just fine and didnt cost me anything. I can get some pics later today if wanted.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks Txwelder, but I got it all done last night. I made a bracket from some steel which I bolted to the frame and welded to the exhaust pipe. Honostly, I don't know guys... It's a little too loud and it has strong diesel fumes now. I'm afraid I'll get pulled over. Then if the cop sees I'm running no cat, I'm done... I've never heard a truck this loud around here. Would it be lame if I took it to a shop and had them put the stock cat on, and maybe a muffler?

I sure do love that turbo whistle though...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 PM

Hey does your downpipe touch the frame? Mine is forced against the frame. I guess it's good so it doesn't move around but do you guys think the engine vibrations (especially during startup/shut down) could damage anything? Or could the frame saw through it?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM

Over time the frame will rub through the pipe. I had the same problem with the same kit. All I did was move the downpipe a little and everything cleared. You kinda have to wiggle everything around until it clears, but it will clear. I have had this system for almost 2 years now, and I still love it. No rust yet, loud as heck outside, quiet inside when not on the skinny pedal, and the price was perfect.

Quick Reply: Put the 5" on today!