Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Porting 64/14 HTT & HTT Exhaust Manifold Results (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/porting-64-14-htt-htt-exhaust-manifold-results-122840/)

Bobcat698 11-05-2006 07:09 PM

Porting 64/14 HTT & HTT Exhaust Manifold Results

Joker12Valve and I worked on a buddys truck for about 9 hours yesterday.

He has a 97 2500 Auto 12Valve with
DDP Stage 3 Injectors
LC Delivery Valves
64/14 Killer B2 with low bp turbine wheel.

We installed a HTT Pulse Manifold which Joker12V ported (very nicely, I might add) and port matched the gaskets. He also did the same on the turbine housing on the turbo.

I also did some AFC modifications to get a little more fuel to it on the top end.

We also put on a set of 5" Stacks :)

Buddy reports 150-200 degree drop in EGT, quicker spoolup, and a bit more power on the top end.
Turbo spool is great! The truck hits 50PSI by the top of second gear, it really flys.

Also, the slight surging he had upon accelleration is now gone.

Overall, we're impressed by the difference everything made.

We were a bit time constrained but will be porting my HTT manifold & PS 66 charger soon! (and more porting will be done on the manifold)

Forrest Nearing 11-05-2006 08:21 PM

yeah, I GOTTA port my ATS :(

wanted to when I was doing the head gasket, but didn't have time... 12v manifolds start out as 24v manifolds, and they barely cut into them to make the rectangle port. there's a lot of room for improvement in the first inch of each port!

Baja 11-06-2006 12:37 AM

I noticed a difference in quicker spoolup and low end torque when I ported and gasket matched my exhaust manifold. Free mod too. Every little bit helps.

Joker12valve 11-06-2006 09:50 PM

To bad we diden't take pic's. next time i guess, mabye with a little more time to work on the porting. It didn't take 9 hours to port, thought that is about how long it took for the feeling in my hands to come back. now i just need a head to play with..........anytakers. (to port and polish that is)

ratsun 11-07-2006 10:18 PM

I thought there was a issue port matching the exhaust on a turbo charged engine? Do you not want to always have the manifold a little larger than the head?

Forrest Nearing 11-08-2006 06:11 AM

on any engine, you want the inlet side to be larger than the outlet that's meeting it... manifold slightly larger than head, turbo slightly larger than manifold... if you have locating dowels, you can go exact, but there are theories that larger also prevents reversion

ratsun 11-08-2006 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing (Post 1200489)
but there are theories that larger also prevents reversion

Yeah thats was what I was refering to.

Don M 11-08-2006 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing (Post 1200489)
on any engine, you want the inlet side to be larger than the outlet that's meeting it... manifold slightly larger than head, turbo slightly larger than manifold... if you have locating dowels, you can go exact, but there are theories that larger also prevents reversion

Yeah? Or maybve get rid of reversion effects with cam timing opening and closing points?