Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Piers Cam Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Piers Cam Update

My friend used to build race engines for Castrol so he knows about vibrations and stuff. And I know that it is not vibrations that break connecting rods, I just threw that in there for the heck of it. His engine is fully forged with dome top pistons.<br><br>I'm still that young TxDieselKid. Only 17. ;D
Old 10-16-2002, 06:37 PM

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=5607;start=45#53842 date=1034805136]<br>Piers cam does not come with new lifters. They are re-ground.<br>Not new. He takes your old lifters and regrinds them.<br><br>Don~<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>[glow=green, 2, 300]Don[/glow],<br>My fault, just another reason to go with Dave Mitchell!!! ;D ;D We all know that your going to have Joe watch you put in your cam, but where did you get all your info about the cam? i.e.<br>
The first DD cams were born from the ideas of other cam grinders.
<br><br>next...<br><br>
You would rather run a stock cam with a press on gear and made from weaker material?
<br><br>It got Jet to 750+ didn't it? Is McBride running the stock cam? How about HVAC? <br><br>[glow=blue, 2, 300]BigBlue[/glow],<br>You are WAY too young. I thought I was young at 22!
Old 10-16-2002, 07:12 PM

Andrew..your humor has been a real catharsis :-*
Old 10-16-2002, 07:40 PM

Andrew..your humor has been a real catharsis
Gary,
I know you are ******-LOVER, and I see that little KISSING action, but you are trying to tell me something?

Seriously, I find it humbleing that you can smile over my simple ramblings, with the current sitution at hand. My best to you and yours my friend.

Are you making the trip to Houston with Nowel?

Andrew
Old 10-16-2002, 08:03 PM

Stock cam for now.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:12 PM

[quote author=willyslover link=board=7;threadid=5607;start=60#53989 date=1034816953]<br>and FYI a ****** is a Car my friend not one of those limp wristed dudes over by Nowel's area..see below <br>[/quote]<br><br>I LOVE old ******. I was a drag racing fan WAY BEFORE I was a dieselhead. Just had to get an extra laugh in there.<br><br>Eric,<br>Care to share who's cam you are leaning towards at the moment? Thanks for throwing in that bit of info also.<br><br>Andrew
Old 10-16-2002, 08:14 PM

now we have really screwed this thread up.....sorry guys
i went back and took out the ****** pic's cause it screwed up this thread
Old 10-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Banned

Gene, reaching for the dicnary thingee....... Crap, not in this one.<br><br>These vibrations Don is worrying about.... mine smooths out real nice over 4000!!!<br><br>That guy you know that lost his cam gear Don?<br>Time, date, SS number, year of truck, who put the cam in, etc, please.<br><br>Andrew, you forgot one other thing to put on your list-DD and Joe LEARNED most of their Diesel Hi-Po stuff from Piers!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 09:14 PM

Nascar teams,NHRA,IHRA,CART,IRL,use belt drives and some are using phuematic actuation now because of vibrations.I have a jesel system on my street car because of what I've learned about harmonics from comp cams.Our engines may be low rpm but because of such high HP at low rpm and the stroke length there is a ton of harmonics,period! While this may not cause the engine to fly apart it's not good for it and longevity.Warren Johnson has stated that when he switched to belt drive he gained power due to less harmonics,and longer valve spring life.The reason DD use's the marine cam is because it gives them more meat to try and change LDA,cam advancement and duration more than you are able to with the stock cam.Nascar Mark the reason they ground so many cams was to try and push the limits of what works the best,not because their enginering isnt decent= THATS AN INSULT!! &gt;
Old 10-16-2002, 09:22 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temporary gains and high HP numbers are not a surprise with the stock reground camsahft. Traditionaly the Cummins has been a durable and long lasting engine. Instaling a reground stock cam with reground lifters just does not do it justice. <br><br>DD does not require supervision to install their cam. You plunk down the cash and away you go with the strongest cam you can now purchase without buying a custom 1 off billet steel shaft.<br><br>Internal engine compnents are not cheap to purchase nor install. The time alone to install a cam is worth to me doing it the best way I can THE FIRST TIME, If it could save me a busted cam and related component faliure later.<br><br>Different strokes I guess ???<br><br>Don~<br><br><br>
Old 10-16-2002, 09:28 PM

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=5607;start=60#54028 date=1034821361]<br>DD does not require supervision to install their cam. You plunk down the cash and away you go with the strongest cam you can now purchase without buying a custom 1 off billet steel shaft.<br><br>Don~<br>[/quote]<br><br>I remember and can still find your old post on TDR where you said that Joe was going to &quot;supervise&quot; your cam install. This was before it became &quot;over the counter&quot;. I ASSuMEd that this was still the plan, sorry for assuming.<br><br>Andrew
Old 10-16-2002, 09:31 PM
Administrator

The temperature in this room is starting to rise. I wonder if there is an air conditioner around?
Old 10-16-2002, 09:34 PM

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=5607;start=60#54028 date=1034821361]<br>the strongest cam you can now purchase without buying a custom 1 off billet steel shaft.<br><br>Don~[/quote]<br><br>Also, what dooes Enterprise do? Same as Piers? They seem to have a good idea of what needs to be done, since they've been doing it for years compaired to DD or Piers. I do know that you must fly-cut the pistons, but that is not the topic here.<br><br>Schields? <br><br>Thanks in advance,<br>Andrew
Old 10-16-2002, 09:52 PM
DTR Advertiser

I chose not to speak about EE's cams. I have the info, but do not want to disclose any. I was told in confidence and heck it may not even be true. I dont disagree with flycutting pistons for the higher rpm engines. Some diesel engines come stock with flycuts. Scania to name one. <br>Every engine builder has their own formula for what they feel is best. Some builders you will find yourself agreeing with and some you wont. No big deal. <br>I ribbed on Gene about his cam, but it had little to do with the cam and more to do with Gene. You know the story <br><br>Why do you care anyway, your truck is still stock after the last 18 months? ;D ;D <br><br>If Joe lived a bit closer Im sure I would ask for some help, just because he has done about 50 or so cam changes. The help and shortcuts would be nice to have and learn.<br><br>Lets try to keep this place a bit more sane than some of the others out there. This thread may have been slightly spirited, but some of us can walk away with some more info. <br><br>Don~<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Old 10-16-2002, 11:07 PM

I've stayed out of this for some time but IMO the major harmonics to the cam aren't from the crankshaft. I'm willing tio bet that the injection pump (P7100) has alot more harmonics than the crank ever transfers. Anyone that has watched them run a pump on the stand can tell it the harmonics that it makes and even more so the more fuel we try and get it to push.<br><br>As far as either camshaft goes both are cast and being cast can have flaws and the casting flaws are what concern me more than either other of the factors.<br><br>BTW I'll be a Piers cammer myself. After dealing with him I feel comfortable with him and his business. He has always treated me RIGHT!!!!

Quick Reply: Piers Cam Update