Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Opinions on my fuel pressure? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/opinions-my-fuel-pressure-69077/)

caleb c. 05-26-2005 10:55 AM

Opinions on my fuel pressure?

Well I got the gauges in the new truck last night.I am getting 13 at idle,10 at 70mph cruise,and I got it down to 5 before I let off of it.So,I don't really know what the WOT readings would be.This is with the box turned off.I thought that was a little low.Is the LP OK?I need to get a fuel system upgrade soon.I can't really afford the FASS right know so I was thinking about the DD pusher pump kit.I would rather not see anything under 8 psi. and only when I mat it for a while.What do ya'll think?Will A pusher help me out?Do my readings sound like a dying LP to you?

CTD NUT 05-26-2005 11:40 AM

With my Comp on kill, I can barely pull FP down to 9 psi at WOT in top gear......this is with a high mileage LP and a Scotty Smartfuel.....12.5 psi cruising at 70 mph. I would highly recommend a Scotty Smartfuel.....IMO, you have a right to be concerned about your FP readings.....sounds like your LP is wearing out. 5 psi is the minimum WOT FP required, but we all want to see a bit more than the minimum!;)

caleb c. 05-26-2005 12:53 PM

Should I get a new LP and a pusher or just get the pusher?I talked to the guys at Diesel Dynamics about their pump,he said it will run around 19-22 at idle.And I asked if they had any hard start problems and he said it was fine.But I don't know if I need to get a new LP in addition to the pusher.

Buckshotmckee 05-26-2005 01:06 PM

I have the FASS II and have no hardstart issues. Idle I see- 22psi, Cruise @ 70- 20psi, and WOT- 18psi. I think you'll be happier with the FASS, especially if/when you tap the wire. Just my $.02

600 Megawatts 05-26-2005 02:51 PM

Oh well, I guess I will stirr it up again. My opinion would be that you should look into a Holley or Carter fuel pump and use it as the lift pump. Pushers just add another point of failure on top of the stock lift pump and some of the 'trick' fuel systems are so high priced that you can almost hear their manufacturers and sellers laughing from here.......

I dont care to ever be a sucker personally.

All of the above are my personal opinions and you are welcome to take them however you like.

KP

CTD NUT 05-26-2005 03:01 PM

I agree to a point.....I have had great success with just a Smartfuel kit and the stock LP - no pushers here......I simply don't need it to maintain reasonable fuel pressure with my set up. I will never own a FASS simply because of the road conditions I experience with regards to the location of the pump - it simply won't last around here mounted down low on the frame rail AND I have no use for having 20 psi of fuel pressure to the VP.:rolleyes:

600 Megawatts 05-26-2005 03:04 PM

Thank you. 20 Psi at the VP is preposterous and strictly snake oil sales tactics in my opinion.

KP

Holiday 05-26-2005 06:10 PM

I also would have to agree with 600 Megawatts. That is what I did.

rockwithjason 05-26-2005 06:43 PM

The Fass II isn't such a bad deal. At the cost of about 2 regular lp's you don't come out too far behind.

Clunk 05-26-2005 11:30 PM

I'll likely have to upgrade my pump later but I'll stay with a single near the fuel tank.

RowJ 05-27-2005 10:25 AM

Re: Opinions on my fuel pressure?

Originally posted by caleb c.
What do ya'll think? Do my readings sound like a dying LP to you?
Back to original question - Sound ok to me. The 02 LP is better than previous models. 13 at idle is more than enough. 10 psi at 70 mph is normal. I would just not stay in the throttle for too long when it gets below 7 or 8 psi. I would just monitor it for any future lower readings, now that you have the gauge.

Probably not failing. No need to over react. My stock pump never read more than 13.5 at idle and sat on 10 psi all day long on the hwy. lasted for 3 yrs. and got me to 425 hp with later help from Scottys Fuel Flow system (which I recommend highly...unless your planning HP over 475)

Keep you tank filled above 1/2, other than long trips...and save your money for now, unless you are just hot to add more to your truck!

RJ

600 Megawatts 05-27-2005 02:27 PM

Yes, we did digress, and RJ is on the money as usual, you really dont have an issue right now.

KP

Mike D 05-27-2005 02:37 PM

Edelbrock sells a pump which is made by Essex Industries. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/....html#electric

"Model #1792 has a free flow rate of 160 GPH, enough to feed a 1000 hp engine. This pump is factory preset to 12 psi"

HOHN 05-27-2005 10:29 PM

I think people often forget that too HIGH a fuel pressure can be as bad as too LOW. Running high fuel pressure just taxes the seals in the VP, strains the overflow valve, and heats the fuel. Fuel can get HOT from this-- Scotty has seen 180 degree fuel temps!

Thus, I'd say you don't want to exceed 14psi, since that's where the factory bypass opens. Ideally, you'd have about 13psi all the time.

I run the stock LP with scotty's fuel setup and it's not perfect, but close enough for me. I'd say that as long as you have a couple PSI at the VP, you're fine.

If you haven't yet, I recommend you read the "pumps, lines, what not" thread on TDR. VERY interesting. You will see that the VP only lets in the fuel that it wants, and cranking up the FP will NOT increase flow through the VP. Example, at WOT 30gpm is returned back to the tank, whether inlet FP is 0psi or 10psi.

Justin