Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

np205 to nv 4500

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ddestruel

Hey call me stupid but I do not know where your email adress is, so if you could please email me at jabcon1919@aol.com. So we can talk about this spacer, I am very interested.
Thanks
John
Old 04-12-2004, 05:57 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a problem i got your email, ive been out of town. It might be a month or so before i get that spacer and t-case tore off the truck. No longer have a shop so this is driveway workshop job. Ill do what i can and we will have to keep in touch.

Trying to get summer rig up and running this summer too Jeep cj7 amc 401 nv 4500.

Dusty
Old 04-12-2004, 09:31 PM

Thanks, John
Old 04-17-2004, 08:06 PM

ddestruel

Dusty, can you give you an idea other than the spacer what parts I need for the swap. I know I need the imput gear from a stick shift early Dodge np 205, mounts and shifter linkage but is their anything else I need for this project.
John
Old 05-11-2004, 11:17 PM

ddestruel

Just bringing it back to the top to see if you were able to get the spacer made yet or maybe a diagram with demsions. Either way I would like to get started on this conversion. Thanks again for all your help.

John
Old 05-12-2004, 09:42 AM

I'll post you some measurements this weekend. Im jerking it off friday night.

As to parts the slide collar for the outpur to input. For linkage i used the ford tower, i had to disassemble it and rearrange the direction the clamp was pointing to suit where i wanted the shifter and i used the dodge shift rod, becasue ot fit the hole in the 205. I bent the rod to make it fit the angles that i needed.

Dusty
Old 05-12-2004, 09:23 PM

Thanks, Dusty I will wait for your post. I hope to be able to take the info to a machine shop to get the part made. I am thinking steel for the compression and bolt retention strength. Your opion? Please explain the slide collar, I thought I used the female 205 input to the male 4500 output for the mate. Also did you have any clocking issues? Or clearance with the front drive shaft?

Thanks John
Old 05-13-2004, 10:15 AM

I do have a picture of the male input in the ford 205 from when i did this conversion i just lost all the other pictures.

That is the collar that is holding it up on the left side. it is just a splined piece of tubing basically with a snap ring in the center.

As far as i know the dodge diesel used the bigger output shaft to which there is no female input gear for in the tranny, if you find an aftermarket company with a female input for the t-case that works with sized output on the tranny you wont need the adapter. But up to no w i have been searching and havent been able to find that sort of setup, AA a little over a year ago told me that it wasn't in the planning but they may have changed thier tune.

Now that you mention it let me look into that too, with the upgrades in machinery and the technology out there, the possiblities increase each day, ill do some calling around about making an input gear instead of an adapter with the proper female spline count. HMMM Got me thinkin now.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:44 PM

Dusty,

I found some more information on the connection for the 205 to the 4500. Offroad Design a 4x4 shop with a really good web page had much info. I called them and spoke with a guy named Steve Watson he said the best and strongest connection was the GM 32 spline male output for the 4500 and the 32 pline female input for the 205. He is getting the parts together for me, the only issue I have left is the clocking issue which will be addressed when I rebuild the 205. I will probably use 1410 front and rear u joints or a 1350 front universal and a 1410 rear for strength. I think this will be the hot ticket with a twin stick shifter (2w high and low). The strength of this unit is unreal in comparison to my current np241 hd. Tell me how yours was clocked with the adapter, did you temporarly install the units and scrib sun kind of indexing marks or something else? Any ways I am looking for the strongest transfer case combination I can get.

Thanks again for your help
John
Old 05-24-2004, 04:43 PM

That does sound like the best alternative. Mine is not coming apart, aplines or something is way Stuck, twisted. Something is not wanting to co-operate with getting the t-case off the back. may have bigger probelms. I your case since you wont be running a nv5600 the 32 spline femaile input and output combo does sound like the best route. Sorry i took so long to get back on here and post.

I am still following up on the possibility of a 29 spline female input and I WILL post my findings.

As to clocking i originally had discussed it but using the ford 205 behind the nv4500, i ended up having no clocking issues, the t-case hangs down at the same angle it did in the F250 that i took it out of. I dont think a clocking ring is an ption for you since the input length is probably static. Though you can probably take the tail housing off and into a machine shop and have the bolt ring pattern redrilled and gain some.

Good Luck
D
Old 05-24-2004, 04:51 PM

Dusty,

If you could give me a little info on your clocking procedure In the next couple of weeks I will be pulling the T case and would like to make this as simple of a program as possible.
Thanks John
Old 05-24-2004, 05:11 PM

John

Thinking about it while im sitting here, why couldnt you take the t-case housing into a machine shop and have them redrill and tap the pattern into the housing instead of the tail housing. The guys at the off road shop probably have some insite into this but my thoughts owould be that redrilling and rotating would not structurally damage the 205 case especially if the originall holes are filled with all thread and then cut flush to the mating surface.

What im getting at with the proceedure it just a matter of tracing the patten onto (paper for matter of discussion) since it is a keyed patten, and then rotating the tracing 10-15* wherever there is clearance. on the tail housing this could be a probelm as the webbing may interfer with the amount of off set that you can acheive.

What is the ultimate goal by clocking the t-case for your application??? on a jeep with bellypan and hang down issues i would be concerned and so then i ussually do clock mine but on a truck running 35's (probably a lift) if you dont plan on dragging your frame rails over a kelly hump i dont thing letting it hang down some would be a problem, hasnt been for me. Also with it bolted on and not clocked up, your front driveline angle should be pretty good because it will hang the front output down lower. BUT the driveline will have a slight inward angle from pinion to t-case output since they wont be in line. So i might be seeing why you are considering clocking it for this reason.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:25 PM

It looks like I may have the answer I have been looking for. Off Road Design is puting together a kit consisting off a chevy 31 spline output shaft for the nv4500 a chevy 31 spline input for the np 205 a cast iron adapter to mate the two and a twin stick shifter so that I can have 2 wheel drive low range. I will updat the board with progress on what I belief will be the ultimate transfercase bomb.

John
Old 08-13-2004, 07:56 PM

I finally got the parts, as Huricane Charlie swong by the house I was taking apart the np 205 for a complete rebuild. With that done my next project will be to install the 31 spline output shaft into the nv4500. Does any one have good info on the 1 3/8 input for the 4500 and a good rebuild kit? I f not I will call National Driveline for parts they have been very good in the past.

John
Old 03-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by jabcon
I finally got the parts, as Huricane Charlie swong by the house I was taking apart the np 205 for a complete rebuild. With that done my next project will be to install the 31 spline output shaft into the nv4500. Does any one have good info on the 1 3/8 input for the 4500 and a good rebuild kit? I f not I will call National Driveline for parts they have been very good in the past.

John
Do you have pics of your finished build? I am wanting to do the same with my gen2 cummins. Have any advice?

Quick Reply: np205 to nv 4500