Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

how to remove the quick connect off fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to remove the quick connect off fuel tank?

i tried to remove the quick connect off of the fuel line going to the lift pump (holley blue) and could not get it off. is there a special way or tool used?

thanks dieselfan
Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 PM

If it's the factory quick connect, it's made so that you have to reach to the very tip of it, where it overlaps, and there are two tabs, one on each side of the line that you have to squeeze together towards the line (like you're pinching them together). As you squeeze the tabs together, you also want to try to gently pull the connector off the line. Usually, when you squeeze the tabs together, you'll feel the little clips that hold the connector to the line release and that's when you want to try to slip the connector off the line. Don't try to push the clips in the holes on the actual connector as this can damage the clips and keep the connector from sealing correctly on reattachment. The tabs on the end of the connector are there for removal of the quick connect.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCTD
If it's the factory quick connect, it's made so that you have to reach to the very tip of it, where it overlaps, and there are two tabs, one on each side of the line that you have to squeeze together towards the line (like you're pinching them together). As you squeeze the tabs together, you also want to try to gently pull the connector off the line. Usually, when you squeeze the tabs together, you'll feel the little clips that hold the connector to the line release and that's when you want to try to slip the connector off the line. Don't try to push the clips in the holes on the actual connector as this can damage the clips and keep the connector from sealing correctly on reattachment. The tabs on the end of the connector are there for removal of the quick connect.
it is the factory clips, i thought i tried what you are saying but i will try again tomorrow.
it dosent matter if i break them, i will be installing a hose in place of it(quick connect).
so just squeeze on the overlapping clips and pull back on the line?

thanks dieselfan
Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Oh, and the tabs you pinch together, are part of the clip that stays on the fuel tank part of the line. The quick connect will come off and leave the clip on the line coming out of the tank. So, when you pinch the tabs together, that part with the tabs will stay on the line and the quick connect part will release and come off. You pretty much have to squeeze with one hand and pull on the quick connect with the other. You can't just pinch the tabs and pull the connector off because they're two separate pieces and in order to get the quick connect off, you have to pull apart the tab part from the connector part. It can be a real PITA to get that connector off.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Oh, and the tabs you pinch together, are part of the clip that stays on the fuel tank part of the line. The quick connect will come off and leave the clip on the line coming out of the tank. So, when you pinch the tabs together, that part with the tabs will stay on the line and the quick connect part will release and come off. You pretty much have to squeeze with one hand and pull on the quick connect with the other. You can't just pinch the clips and pull the connector off because they're two separate pieces and in order to get the quick connect off, you have to pull the part you're pinching AWAY from the actual connector part. It can be a real PITA to get that connector off.
can i just cut the line of the quick connect?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM

You can probably cut the nylon line about 3-4 inches from the quick connect and put in a hose mender (barbed) into the nylon line and attach your hose to that. As long as you put a hose clamp on both ends of that I think you can still do it that way. I know it took me a long time to get the quick connect off because there just isn't enough room to get both hands under there to work. I had my head up in between the fuel tank and bed so that I could actually see the connector in front of me but even then, there wasn't much room to work. The only reason I didn't cut mine off was because I wanted to leave it as a backup in case I have to wait on another Walbro. Then all I have to do is hook it back up and use my stock pump.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:31 PM

If I remember correctly, it took a pretty good tug after I pinched the tabs to get it off the tab clip. Once you pinch the tabs, they SHOULD release from the quick connector so that you can give it a tug and it should pop off. I'd try that first cause if you get it off, it's a lot easier to get a line on the fuel tank like that.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 PM

You can probably cut the nylon line about 3-4 inches from the quick connect and put in a hose mender (barbed) into the nylon line and attach your hose to that. As long as you put a hose clamp on both ends of that I think you can still do it that way. I know it took me a long time to get the quick connect off because there just isn't enough room to get both hands under there to work. I had my head up in between the fuel tank and bed so that I could actually see the connector in front of me but even then, there wasn't much room to work. The only reason I didn't cut mine off was because I wanted to leave it as a backup in case I have to wait on another Walbro. Then all I have to do is hook it back up and use my stock pump.
i was in the same position today, i just didnt know how to get it off, i thought the whole thing came off.
any special pliers or anything i should use?
also why cant i cut it at the quick connect fitting and take the nylon completely off?

thanks dieselfan
Old 12-17-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a needle nose with a 90* bend on the end of it. It's about 10" long. I used that to pinch the tabs together and then pulled with the other hand. It took a good tug but popped right out.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Push the connector together before squeezing the tabs to release. You may break the tabs on the fuel tank side (I did).
Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fueling around
Push the connector together before squeezing the tabs to release.
That's what works for me. Squeeze the tabs together, push forward then pull back. The hose will slip right off.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM

Yeah, push the connector together first. You can also put some juice on it to help free it up.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
anybody know where I can buy a new fuel line connector, the one that plugs into the fuel canister?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerley
anybody know where I can buy a new fuel line connector, the one that plugs into the fuel canister?
Vulcan.