Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need help with Pacbrake Exhaust Brake on 99 Ram3500

Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Pacbrake Exhaust Brake on 99 Ram3500

Hello, I am new here and I am new to diesel trucks. I bought a 99 Ram 3500 recently and it has am exhaust brake made by Pacbrake.

Took it to a friend who thinks the Control Solenoid may have gone out or may be dirty. I have searched far and wide and I cannot find a website that lists it for sale or even the correct part number. I did find an older part number on the PacBrake website. It is C11849. But I cant find it anywhere.

Any help or suggestions or ideas where I can find this part please post up!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats going on with the brake? I can get you whatever you need or you can call PacBrake directly. Let me know, maybe we can help
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Doesnt work. Power to the toggle switch, power at the control solenoid, air pressure at the control solenoid, nothing beyond that.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:09 PM

man, thats an odd one. I would definitely call PacBrake for that
Old 06-09-2008, 04:47 PM

I called Pacbrake and he instructed me to rush the reset button on the top of the control solenoid, and presto, it works again. He thinks it must be dirty inside and I just need to take it apart and clean it with alcohol.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:15 PM

Dang, that was sure easy enough! Good stuff
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erik@TVP
Dang, that was sure easy enough! Good stuff
my pacbrake solenoid has been cleaned many times and it will still stick. tried carb cleaner (do no use this) silicone seemed to work best. But at home I have some detailed instruction on the removal and cleaning proceedure. but is now working 50% of the time the vacuum operated cyl. on mine is very free it is all in the solenoid. will tear it apart again when I have free time. And plan to use it for my return trip from the Sierra Navada mountain range at the end of the this week. If it stick I have to get out and gently push on the cyclinder lever ED
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Just pushing the reset button is not going to do alot for you the issue will more then likely reoccur follow the instructions below.

To properly clean the solenoid, remove the blade screws in both the top and bottom of the solenoid. From the coil end remove the white oval spacer and the o-ring (wipe clean with a rag) then working from the body end (opposite coil end), remove the o-ring, and the small spring and set a side. Now take the black plastic spacer and push it straight through the body of the solenoid to reveal the sleeve. Remove the 5 o-rings on the sleeve (it is easier to start in the center of the body and roll each o-ring over the other).

Pull the control valve out from the center of the sleeve soak both the control valve and the sleeve in mineral sprits for a few minutes (I found nail polish remover works real good). Then wipe the control valve dry. Twist a clean towel/rag and feed it through the sleeve and soak the rag and sleeve with the cleaner while turning the sleeve on the rag.

In order to check if the parts are cleaned properly place the control valve back in the sleeve they them horizontally between your index finger and thumb the sleeve should spin free (like a top toy) on the control valve. Reassemble the solenoid.

To help prevent frequent cleaning of the solenoid remove Pacbrake supplied brass filter from the solenoid insert a barbed fitting run a small hose up to the fire wall and install a universal style fuel filter. Of if you wash your engine down put a plastic bag over the solenoid so water doesn’t enter the solenoid through the filter.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eye4Mud
I called Pacbrake and he instructed me to rush the reset button on the top of the control solenoid, and presto, it works again. He thinks it must be dirty inside and I just need to take it apart and clean it with alcohol.
Thanks for your help!
Zakly right. We took the one on my sons truck apart and it was just a microscopic piece of rust causing the little shuttle valve to hang up in the closed position. Be very very careful and work it on a clean surface. Cleaned it all up with rubbing alcohol, put it back together, and violin, it worked like new.