Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need Custom Storage Box Under Bed In Front of Rear Tire (not a flatbed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Custom Storage Box Under Bed In Front of Rear Tire (not a flatbed)

Hello fellow members,

Where can I buy/order something like this?

I am looking to buy two custom lockable storage "tool" boxes that are welded or bolted under the truck bed (not a flatbed) but in front of the rear tire so that I can store things like motor oil, coolant, rags, chains, tools, etc. The bed is often maxed out with other stuff so I am looking to maximize all the extra unused room that I have….and there is A LOT of unused space in front of my rear tires. If I recall correctly, there isn't much room under the bed in the back where the spare tire resides.

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500, club cab (but only 2 doors still) and long bed.

Thanks!

Jen
Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Have you tried Google? Seriously...I just did and found several different styles, sizes, etc... Take some measurements of what you can fit then do a search. A steel box is a steel box so I don't think recommendations from others would help much. Buy what suits your needs and your budget. Good luck with it, post up some pics once you install!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 PM

Thank you for the note. Yes, Google was the first place I looked but all the boxes I saw there open the wrong way given the location it would need to be bolted/welded. Remember, it would need to go under the body and in front of the rear tire; so the locking door would likely need to be on the smaller square side (end cap) so that I can reach in from the wheel well.

I also went to a special truck outfitting store and they recommended ProTech since they build custom boxes. I talked to them and they said I will have to take special measurements as they don't build this, so I am just looking for someone who has made this before.

Thanks!

Jen
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I doubt anyone has actually done this, I wouldn't even consider trying to put the door in the wheelwell because all the water will get slung there while driving, not to mention snow, mud, etc.

If I were serious about it, I would find a fabricator who could, with the bed off and upside down, fabricate a box utilizing the front wall of the bed, and box in clear to the bedside, then cut the door opening in the bed side, and use the piece to create a door. Yes, it will be expensive, but it is the only way I see to get much usable space while being able to use it under any conditions.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 PM

I like that idea. Thank you. It's quite amazing just how much room is between the cab and the rear wheel well, which is why I want to turn that into precious storage space.

Jen
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I had a neighbor with an old Ford Camper special that had that kind of storage bin on the passenger side. I would think Weatherguard might have something close....
Old 10-23-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your looking for a storage box Similiar to the ones Nissan has in the fender of their trucks, correct? Maybe think of taking one of those from a wrecked truck and installing it. Just an idea.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I had a neighbor with an old Ford Camper special that had that kind of storage bin on the passenger side. I would think Weatherguard might have something close....
Yep, both Ford and Chevy did similar, they were much smaller than what I envisioned though. A big problem, at least with the one my father owned was rust in the hinges that made the door hard to open. I would use stainless for the hinges myself....
Old 10-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Yep, both Ford and Chevy did similar, they were much smaller than what I envisioned though. A big problem, at least with the one my father owned was rust in the hinges that made the door hard to open. I would use stainless for the hinges myself....
Good points, just enough room for a tipped over bottle jack, hatchet and extra chain, at least that is what I remember my neighbor having in his....

Also SS a good idea
Old 11-13-2014, 10:12 PM

Best idea is go to a welding shop and explain to them what you want or if they will get together with you and draw up some plans. If that ends up too expensive and you have a welder then maybe you can buy the steel and fabricate one yourself a lot cheaper......just an idea