Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

whats the best programmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question whats the best programmer

Looking for best Programmer out there that 80hp and under for my 2002. Its been stock since new and has 356k on it. Has new injection pump and lift pump on it
Old 02-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by td3620
Looking for best Programmer out there that 80hp and under for my 2002. Its been stock since new and has 356k on it. Has new injection pump and lift pump on it
my opinion and personal experience .....
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/v/dodg...l-24v-cummins/
i also have a smarty! i prefer the edge as you can change modes on the fly!!

Last edited by johnh; 02-07-2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: new info
Old 02-02-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I have an edge ez and it is enough for what I do. Mads electronics SMARTY is top shelf if you got the dough to spare according to many around this site....
Old 02-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Each seams to have there own little pluses and minuses. Depends on how you will be using the truck. I have been eyeing the TST Powermax line. From what I've red, it's a good towing choice. I've even heard of some people piggybacking it with another programmer, to get the best of both systems.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM

I had a blue chip fuel, wish I took it off my old truck, I mainly just pull cattle trailers and hay. mainly rigged out with my welder
Old 02-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Smarty is a good choice.

Ad removed site violation
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
[QUOTE=td3620;3343334]Looking for best Programmer out there that 80hp and under for my 2002. Its been stock since new and has 356k on it. Has new injection pump and lift pump on it[/QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------
Like many of the other DTR Members, I also would recommend the Smarty Programmers. They have a great product and they are excellent at "backing the product" should you have any issues with it. Bob Wagner is one of their "Reps" in the U.S. and he has always taken real good care of me.

---------
John_P
Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I have an edge ez and it is enough for what I do. Mads electronics SMARTY is top shelf if you got the dough to spare according to many around this site....
Yeah,I had an EZ for 8 years on my '98.5. Couple it with some new RV275's and you have a beast.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Edge Juice/Attitude .....
'02 2500 RC .... 4x4. 5sp.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought that Quadzilla Adrenaline With iQuad or what ever its called was supposed to be cats meow, even untapped VP . Doesnt it program kind of like smarty?

Maybe its too complicated...?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Quadzilla Adrenaline IS “the cats meow” for a 2nd gen 24 valve. It’s light years ahead of all the other obsolete units that haven’t seen any development in years.
You don’t have to connect the pump tap wire if you don’t want to.
ALL non-pump-tap tuners can only make about 65 additional HP, because that’s the limit of the canbus-only tuning on the fuel injection setup on these trucks.

But even untapped the Quadzilla is the only one that has current software development.
Its the only one that lets you set your own timing curve and fueling curves.
The Adrenaline has a phone app and either Bluetooth or Wfi transmitter so you can program and control it on your phone or tablet. It gives you full gauges on your screen. It can do data logging to make it easier to dial in your tune. It can do turbo cool-down timer, going on either time or temp. And lots of other things.
You can write as many tunes as you like and switch between them or adjust them on the fly.
The others just don’t compare.
The people or shops that recommend Smartys or Edges or whatever either haven’t kept up with the times or just don’t specialize in 2nd gen Dodges and aren’t aware.

The Smarty was once the top of the line, but that was years ago.
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:24 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
My take on this is a little different than Monstermaker's..

if you want reliability- take the Smarty, maybe some injectors and other supporting stuff.

Because any electronic gadget that needs to stay connected can (and maybe will) go out and leave you stranded.
The Smarty reprograms the stock ECM and does not add any components needed to run the engine.

Naturally you can't switch tunes, monitor this and that, datalog etc- but in my opinion for a mild tune you do not really need those features, and can stay with a standard set of gauges to monitor your temps and pressures.

If you want to go wild.. then the Quadzilla looks really good to me, but I don't have any experience with it.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 AM

The ECM is an electronic gadget.
Shouid a Quadzilla ever fail, it will not leave you stranded, you can unplug it and your truck still runs as if you’d never had it.

One thing a Quad can do that others cannot is the opposite of “go wild”. You can adjust your fueling level DOWN as far as 50% below stock, as well as up above stock.
You can do it in 1% increments, and separately in 1psi boost level increments.

That allows you to install larger fuel injectors and then adjust them down so they don’t overfuel and make smoke at low boost levels, and lets them come on stronger as you build boost.

You can use rather large injectors and get all your extra power that way instead of using the VP44 “tap” wire, which avoids voiding the warranty on a new pump, and is easier on it.
Or use the tap wire and really turn the power up, in fully tunable amounts.

Yiu don’t have to use it to make big power, you can use it to just make the truck run as clean as possible.

You can use it as a security device... just write a tune that won’t even let the truck run well enough to even drive, and when you park just switch to that tune.

You can choose an exhaust temp at which you want it to defuel to prevent overheating your turbo. It will do timed high-idle. It will do rev-limiter function at an RPM you choose.

When I p-pump my truck (mostly for reliability) I’ll really miss the Quad. But until you get rid of the electronic engine management, stock or otherwise, you’re depending on electronic gadgets.
The following users liked this post:
04ctd (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I know that the ECM is an electronic device- but one that is needed to operate the engine.
Any additional devices do increase the probability of problems.

(EG when my Edge Pulse failed it chose the time when I tried to pass another truck on a rural road, and got me into limp mode- fun time!. OK, I unplugged it, got overboost codes due to bigger injectors and adjusted wastegate, the way home to get the truck driveable again was no fun..)

And changing tunes on the fly... OK, but as a motorcycle rider I already hate the folks fidling with their smartphones while driving....

So, for me it still stands that while the Quad may be good, if the Smarty is all you need I would suggest the Smarty...

I have no stock or other interest in who buys what, but Monstermaker sounds very impressed with the Quadzilla and denigrates every other product for every application scenario...
Old 06-24-2018, 08:40 PM

If you want a smoky truck that doesn’t run as well as it should by all means get a Smarty.

Quick Reply: whats the best programmer