Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   methanol (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/methanol-296284/)

XrockstarD 10-16-2011 06:53 PM

methanol

alright guys i finally have my snow kit up and running. i bought the stage 2. i'm running it on my 99 24 valve, currently i'm running a 5inch exhaust, a cone filter on the stock tube, and the ats arc flow elbow. but the thing is when i turn it on the truck blows white smoke when i tap the throttle and it kinda sounds like its back firing. so until i can figure out what is going on the meth is in the off position. any ideas?

John_P 10-16-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by XrockstarD (Post 3032029)
alright guys i finally have my snow kit up and running. i bought the stage 2. i'm running it on my 99 24 valve, currently i'm running a 5inch exhaust, a cone filter on the stock tube, and the ats arc flow elbow. but the thing is when i turn it on the truck blows white smoke when i tap the throttle and it kinda sounds like its back firing. so until i can figure out what is going on the meth is in the off position. any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------
It sounds to me like you are getting too much water/meth in the engine. If you are using solenoids with the system, make sure they are operating right and not staying open all the time. Believe me, they can malfunction. Also, make sure you you have the right sized jets in the nozzles. If the jets are too large that can cause the issues you are having too. Start small and work your way up.

You may already know this,... but these water systems have to be "tuned" in.
Here is a link on DTR about water injection that may help you:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n-t248415.html

--------
John_P

XrockstarD 10-16-2011 07:34 PM

the jet is just the smallest one they sent me. and their werent any solenoids in the kit. but i will check out your link cause i'm not sure how to tune it or that you had to. but thanks.

John_P 10-16-2011 07:46 PM

If the controller for the system has an adjustment try setting it at the lowest setting and work up from there. You should have received an owners manual with instructions on how to get started with it. If not, give Snow a call and talk with one of their Techs on what they recommend.

XrockstarD 10-16-2011 08:32 PM

their are two dials on the module but no clue how or where to adjust to. but this makes sense. i will try this in the morning thanks bud. my buddy was telling me that i needed to invest in a programmer really didnt wanna spend more money.

infidel 10-17-2011 11:22 AM

I use regulated compressed air to set the the two boost value opening points on the Snow controller.
On mine the first stage kicks in at 20 psi, second at 30.
Also make sure your engine is warmed up well before turning the injection on.

XrockstarD 10-17-2011 05:29 PM

yea the engine is completely warmed up, i didnt turn it on until she had hit 190 for a few minutes. i think i turned down the psi at which it shoots it in. because the one says boost and the other says psi. i would like to run it constantly so that it kicks on at low boost but only sprays a little. is this possible?

infidel 10-18-2011 09:59 AM

When you say "only sprays a little" I assume you mean volume wise.
That's only adjustable by changing the nozzles.
The two different stages on my Snow only speed up the pump rpm to create more pressure.
Mine has only two adjustments, stage 1 boost psi and stage 2 boost psi.
No pressure adjustment.
Sounds like your Snow might be different than my 12 year old one.

XrockstarD 10-19-2011 08:19 PM

i guess so. i have 2 dials one does the boost and the other does psi. my thinking was that i could turn it down to operate at 5lbs of boost thats reasonable for daily driving, and to constantly spray. but when i turn the boost down its like it does the opposite. but as of right now i have used about half gallon over the last 350 miles.

infidel 10-20-2011 11:10 AM

I don't know how much it will help with the injection set to 5 psi plus you'll go though a lot of meth.
What you want to set it to is the boost pressure that corresponds to high egt.

XrockstarD 10-20-2011 06:58 PM

i think once i get a boost and pyro gauge i will be better off.

XrockstarD 10-25-2011 08:20 PM

trying to adjust this thing is a pain in the ***. every time i go somewhere i'm popping the hood to adjust it, but it just seems i'm getting nowhere. they (snow) could of made it much easier by using better instructions, dials and god knows what else.

John_P 10-26-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by XrockstarD (Post 3034992)
trying to adjust this thing is a pain in the ***. every time i go somewhere i'm popping the hood to adjust it, but it just seems i'm getting nowhere. they (snow) could of made it much easier by using better instructions, dials and god knows what else.

------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried to call "Snow Performance" yet??

If not, I suggest doing that as I had said earlier and ask to speak with Matt Snow.

XrockstarD 10-30-2011 05:25 AM

i have talked to the techs when i was hooking it up. they just dont seem to be that smart. but i will try for matt snow on monday.

John_P 10-30-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by XrockstarD (Post 3036409)
i have talked to the techs when i was hooking it up. they just dont seem to be that smart. but i will try for matt snow on monday.

------------------
Please let us know what he tells you! I have talked to Matt at a few diesel events and he seems very knowledgeable on water/methanol and even more so on his products. I am sure he can help you figure out what is wrong.