Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug for Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZPOD, I think that is a brilliant idea. Why not trap the shavings in the filter. I think I would still be interested in doing that even with a magnetic drain plug. Thanks for the idea, I will work on this project in lieu of my honey do list today.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 PM

ZPOD

I don't buy used and abused.

I like for the abuse on my vehicles to be ALL MINE!!!! BWAAAHAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!!!!!

All joking aside, yes, mine came from the factory with a magnetic....the cool part of it was that I could remove it, wipe it down and stick it to the pan till I was ready to screw it back in.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

That's very interesting. It's the first that I have ever heard of coming off the assembly line with a magnetic drain plug and that raises suspicion on my part. What was their motivation for adding it and why did they stop.

It makes me wonder if certain years are test vehicles and perhaps the repairs are somehow tracked so that their studies might show the engines with magnetic plugs got so many more miles than prior models.

If I could then I would also buy new, have others work on my vehicle or paint my house and fix things but I do what I do out of necessity. I can fix my own truck, I can do the body work etc. It's a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 6 cyl 12 valve Diesel extended cab long bed 2wh drive, I only paid $2700 for it and the engine is very strong at 270,000 miles. I am not paying the bank any interest, I am not paying on a loan, I actually own it and nobody can take it away from me... and in present condition nobody would want to take it away from me or steal it so that gives me an incredible sense of security, especially in a volatile economy which I have been telling people since soon after 9-11 that we will sink into a depression worse than the 30s but nobody believes me. Because I can fix and repair almost anything I can live on far less money than the average person.

I grow and store my own food, I would be using used cooking oil for Diesel fuel right now if I thought it was safe for the engine. I hear mixed reports so I need to talk to more mechanics before I make a move in this direction.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrJeff
Why not trap the shavings in the filter?
The filter seems like the most logical place to trap it.
I have always used magnetic plugs in my cars but it's such a tiny magnet and it makes me wonder if it's really catching all of the metal shavings that float around, so this idea seems very wise to use both the mag plug and the filter.
The only down side is that you can't visually see how much you collected inside the filter. One poster said he cut the filter open and it was a lot.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM

You're right about feeling secure knowing your truck is paid for....I'm done with financing.

Your 95 should be OK to run vegetable oil biodiesel; the articles I have read have been critical only of common-rail models(2003-on) due to their longer injection events causing washdown of lubricating oil on the cylinder walls, and that older models don't suffer from the condition.

I have often said that the survivors of great disasters will be the ones who have a Plan B...so read up on it and GO FOR IT!!!! I envy you!

Nobody believes you...I can relate...I'm surrounded by zombies with the same Pollyanna attitude. Whatever happened to the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared"?

I better throttle back a bit. Or we'll have to take it to "Political Discussion".
Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM

here's a link to the bear trap