Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   lsd or posi (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/lsd-posi-192372/)

HecTiK 02-16-2008 05:06 AM

lsd or posi

What would be a good lsd or posi to put in my rear end? I have a dana 80, don't know the spline count, and it's on a 99 qc swb 5spd. Right now it is just open, and it really sucks trying to go fast and just spin when the turbo kicks in...
Thanks, Andrew

smokinram99 02-16-2008 05:50 AM

Do you haven't a Limited Slip in your DANA80??
I have LSD on mine DANA70 3/4ton..

Vern Calhoun 02-16-2008 08:28 AM

I believe a LSD and a Posi are the same thing. Posi comes from the "Positive Traction Differential" of the old days. Unless your really talking about the difference between a Limited Slip and a Locker.

Diesel Doc 02-16-2008 10:35 AM

a posi trak would be the easiestand probably the cheapest. it works like a detroit but it just replaces your spider gears so you don't have to go thru setting up a new carrier and bearings

HOHN 02-16-2008 10:45 AM

I think dieseldoc is talking about the Powertrax Lock Right or No Slip, which is a ratcheting "locker".

If you go with a locker that doesn't replace the whole carrier (like a Detroit locker does), then go easy on it. With bigger tires and Cummins tq, you can snap one of those things like a twig.

I'd personally avoid one of the little "lockers" that only replaces the spider gears. But you run stock tire size with mild engine output, and are easy on it, there's no reason it couldn't be made to last.

If one of these fails, theres a good change you'll have no drive to the rear wheels.

JMO

Diesel Doc 02-16-2008 11:07 AM

I don't remember exactly what detroit calls it and am too lazy to look but they make one to replace the spiders. a bunch of the guys around here are using them to pull with I wouldn't beat on it too hardbut they seem fairly solid. I already had a LS so I had to replace the whole carrier

torquefan 02-16-2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vern Calhoun (Post 1948990)
I believe a LSD and a Posi are the same thing. Posi comes from the "Positive Traction Differential" of the old days. Unless your really talking about the difference between a Limited Slip and a Locker.

Yep, Posi (or Positraction) is actually a trade name for a specific brand of limited slip unit.

Number47 02-16-2008 04:10 PM

so what option are there for a D80 with 3.54 gears, Detroit doent make a locker for those gears and i havent found a lsd that anyone can say anything good about??

stuckey200224 02-16-2008 06:03 PM

tractech (detriotlocker) makes a true trac gear driven limited slip for a d80 with 3.55 gears.

HecTiK 05-02-2008 03:43 PM

would it be a 35 or 37 spline axle?