Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Let's talk about doing a triple turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where are you going to get two matching top turbos that spin opposite of eachother?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LanceD
where are you going to get two matching top turbos that spin opposite of eachother?
Direction of rotation is not really a factor. If it did anything I think it would most likely enhance flow into the secondary turbine due to canceling out the spin at the Y pipe. Highly turbulent spinning air is why a slightly large downpipe tapering to a smaller pipe helps spool time a bit. It allows the air to expand right after the turbo and then gain velocity through the transistion to the smaller pipe as it begins to cool.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:15 PM

so when is the national meet to make one of these setups?? The winnings from the truck pulls goes to the site right??
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 12valvesmoke
I worked on the Triple turbo's a little bit more and this is what i came up with. I will try and put the primary up top where the airbox would be like my bro said... Lets hear your comments!

Attachment 21124
This is of all the piping with no turbos

Attachment 21125
This is the placement of the turbos only

Attachment 21126
This is a view from the back the primary is on the bottom ready to recieve the downpipe

Attachment 21127
This is a view if you were in the engine compartment looking at the tubes going to the intercooler

Now the next step is to do a flow analysis and try to cut down on turbulent flow.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah - somebody fire up your CFD software!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by turbos10
Direction of rotation is not really a factor. If it did anything I think it would most likely enhance flow into the secondary turbine due to canceling out the spin at the Y pipe. Highly turbulent spinning air is why a slightly large downpipe tapering to a smaller pipe helps spool time a bit. It allows the air to expand right after the turbo and then gain velocity through the transistion to the smaller pipe as it begins to cool.
IMO, the spin of the flow as it exits the turbine won't be mitigated effectively by the counter-rotation of the turbos. I'd expect the turbulence to be even worse.

That's why I like AlpineRam's idea of using a divorced runner housing on the primary, plumbing the secondary turbine outlets to a respective runner on the primary inlet. This would be far less turbulent and preserve far more pulse energy than merging the turbine outlet flows to an open plenum primary inlet.

The swirling effect is best mitigated by accelerating the flow. That means that you'd want the secondary outlet to be the largest cross-sectional area in the flow conduit, tapering to the smaller area of the primary inlet runner (assuming the divorced runner configuration).

I only wish I had access to some CFD goodies.

Maybe I'll get to use it in some future job, but not yet.

JMO
Old 06-20-2008, 03:58 AM

Possible triple

Hi, new member here, actually closet reader for a while now. I have been very interested in doing twins, as long as I can fab them up on the cheap. I read in another thread where Hohn has been working on a spread-sheet. I have been working on my own. From a thermodynamic standpoint, I have wondered why nobody runs a intercooler between first and second stage to lower the intake temp, and the benefit of building a triple. So I have done this in my spreadsheet, and I am now trying to figure out the "effective" airflow in Lbs/min the secondary has to compress. Getting to the P ratio for the secondary is easy, but getting to the effective mass flow is where I could use some help.

So this is my contribution to the group. I think I am ready to get the excel file out here for some constructive criticism, but can't download it. I have spent quite a while at the squirrel turbo site, and the calculations seem to be working, but on paper, when I find a properly sized primary, the secondary is always off to the bottom right of the compressor map for our HX35 sized turbo's. When I looked at much smaller sized compressors in parallel like Hohn mentioned, presto, looks much better.

Thanks

David
Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 AM

When I did my spreadsheet, I just used the secondary effective mass flow from the primary's divided by the primary PR. So if the primary is flowing 90 lb/min at a PR of 2:1, I used 45 lb/min as the effective secondary mass flow. Now if this is correct or not, I'm not too sure. It usually puts me in the left side of the map for the secondary.

An intercooler would be a good idea, but I think the main reasons would be extra complexity (especially if its air to water), extra money, extra volume to fill, and more room being taken up in the engine bay. Whenever I get to my 12v Ford project, I may look into it. Lots of room in the engine bay of a 79 F-150.