Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Larger diameter exhaust brake (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/larger-diameter-exhaust-brake-255231/)

Mule Skinner 10-21-2009 08:04 AM

Larger diameter exhaust brake

Have been fighting high egt numbers for too long now and am at the point where I am thinking the only fix is a bigger or a second turbo, but dont want to lose the exhaust brake. Is there a vendor with a larger diameter setup than my Jacobs? That will fit either behind a turbo or "in-line" somewhere down on the 4" exhaust pipe and still be efficient? Hate to buy/replace a good exhaust brake but it would be cheaper than damage from high egt numbers. Might have a Jacobs for sale.

j-dubya 10-21-2009 12:27 PM

BD has some inline brakes. i personally have a 4" mounted in my downpipe. i wish a would have gone with the 5" since i may be upgrading to twin turbos soon. the inline brakes are vacuum-actuated and work pretty decently, even in lower rpms. let me know if you have any other questions.

jeremy

1320 10-21-2009 12:34 PM

I run twins, and my ht3b is a 5 inch p. It was a complete pain to make, about 9 peices for about 16 nches in lenght. I even had to notch it at the belhousing and oval the pipe a tad. It fits perfect though. After that it reduces to 4 inch to fit over the cross member, and I have a 4 inch us gear exhuast brake just behind the cross member. It works pretty well, and I pull up to 30k of 50 ft enclosed trailer. You do of course need to make sure you dont have exhuast leaks in front of it.

Midnite 10-21-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by j-dubya (Post 2609460)
the inline brakes are vacuum-actuated

I don't think this is the case. I know in the past most of the turbo mount brakes were vacuum actuated, but BD's 4" remote mount I think has always operated off compressed air.

Mike

j-dubya 10-21-2009 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Midnite (Post 2609530)
I don't think this is the case. I know in the past most of the turbo mount brakes were vacuum actuated, but BD's 4" remote mount I think has always operated off compressed air.

Mike

their inlines are vacuum. there is one on my truck.

jeremy

Tate 10-21-2009 04:48 PM

Pac Brake also makes inlines in various sizes.

1320 10-21-2009 08:06 PM

fyi, the us ger inline brake is all electric. It uses a switch on the throttle pedal (never a problem).

Mule Skinner 10-22-2009 07:51 AM

Thanks for the replies,

Seems like every project requires an additional something to make all parts work together, looking at the BD website, if I understand correctly, I need to install 60# exhaust valve springs to make 4" e-brake work. Will check out Pac brake and see what is needed there.

RollOver Pete 10-22-2009 09:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Check out Blue OX.
I've got one on a 3406B and am extremely happy with the product.

http://www.brakesystemsinc.com/

http://www.brakesystemsinc.com/pdf/blueox_11_07.pdf

Attachment 71831
Attachment 71832
Attachment 71833

:cool:

Midnite 10-22-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mule Skinner (Post 2610162)
looking at the BD website, if I understand correctly, I need to install 60# exhaust valve springs to make 4" e-brake work.

Verify that with BD before you spend the money on them. Unless something is new and different, you only need 60# valve springs if you have an 89 to 98 12 valve engine. The 24 valve engines don't need them.

Mike

Mule Skinner 10-23-2009 08:09 AM

That makes sense on the 12 valves needing the bigger springs. thats for all the suggestions, I am sure that i can get this heat thing figured out, just need to decide on twins or just go single but more bigger.

PaulDaisy 10-26-2009 01:59 PM

I have an inline 4" BD vacuum actuated brake as well and love it. Extra installations? Of course, you are adding a part. But installing this one was pretty painless. Cut out 8" from the downpipe, weld two flanges into it, route three vacuum lines and three wires, bolt the brake in place, test it, notice the vacuum lines were reversed so it activated at all times, swap, test - viola!
As far as the springs, no need for that on a 24v.

01trailerpuller 10-26-2009 02:26 PM

Another option for you not to have to buy a new EB is to go to a hybrid turbo. High Tech Turbo sells kits and whole trubos. But there are a few draw backs. First it will never push the air flow of a true HX40 style, second is that you will not see as much of a drop in EGTs as a HX40 style and third you will not see 500hp with it, but they run $6-700 for the kit and $11-1400 for the whole turbo with wastegate and you would not have to spend the money on a new EB. I currently have a turbo mounted Pacbrake on a stock turbo and I love it. But I do not want to spend the money on a new EB so I am going to order a hybrid myself.

Silver_Ram 10-27-2009 03:21 AM

I am in the same spot you are. Need a bigger turbo and won't tow without an exhaust brake.

Pac-Brake has an inline that uses air; BD has inlines, one vacuum and one air. I haven't decided which one yet, probably gonna try the BD air operated brake.

1320 10-27-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 01trailerpuller (Post 2613507)
Another option for you not to have to buy a new EB is to go to a hybrid turbo. High Tech Turbo sells kits and whole trubos. But there are a few draw backs. First it will never push the air flow of a true HX40 style, second is that you will not see as much of a drop in EGTs as a HX40 style and third you will not see 500hp with it, but they run $6-700 for the kit and $11-1400 for the whole turbo with wastegate and you would not have to spend the money on a new EB. I currently have a turbo mounted Pacbrake on a stock turbo and I love it. But I do not want to spend the money on a new EB so I am going to order a hybrid myself.

I dont see a problem at all. My little turbo is a hx40 (19) and my us gear unit is simple and works. I pull a 50 ft enclosed that comes in around 26k by itself.