Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Isspro Mechanical Fuel Gauge Help (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/isspro-mechanical-fuel-gauge-help-216215/)

brianpgriset 09-04-2008 08:25 PM

Isspro Mechanical Fuel Gauge Help

Two days ago I was driving the CTD and glanced at my FP pressure and saw it at zero :o! I about had a heart attack, then calmed down a bit. Nothing seemed odd, no dead pedal, no CEL, still plenty of smoke, and I have a 95 GPH FASS, so the more I thought about it, the more I thought it is the gauge. I got home, checked for codes, none, check the connections for the gauge, looked OK.

Took the truck back out for a spin, and the gauge worked just fine. Now it looked more like the gauge. Took out the truck one more time today and again the gauge didn't work. So I'm pretty sure its the gauge.

Also when I was driving, it would show like just above 0 psi, and no matter how hard I was on the throttle it wouldn't go down, so it wasn't responding to WOT at all, just completly steady. At this point I feel confident it is the gauge but can't be sure.

Anyone have this problem before, and any suggestions on what it is/how to fix? I might try to call Isspro tommorow and see what they say. Any way I can check without spending $30 on a FP tester?

THANKS!

Ben 09-04-2008 08:33 PM

First get the obvious out of the way and change the filters.

THen I would say your gauge took a dump. Dont feel too bad I have been through 3.

An autometer electric that lasted 1.5 hrs.

An autometer mechanical 15 psi thats a little wore out from the FAss but has lasted for 5 years.

A Stewart Warner 30 psi that lasted 5 hours to replace the above autometer.

Mechanical autometer back in truck after SW was reading 0. Still going strong, needle just stays pegged at idle.....

fiveology 09-04-2008 10:11 PM

You running an isolater?

klx650a2 09-04-2008 10:23 PM

I threw my isolator in the garbage (what a nightmare that was). Just used a needle valve. been good for a year so far.

brianpgriset 09-05-2008 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by fiveology (Post 2199315)
You running an isolater?

Nope, and that (i think) may have been a helper to its early demise, although from reading on here it sounded like mechanical gauges were better to run without the isolator/needle valve, and the electricals were the real problem.

Or can the mechanicals get messed up too? Mine never jumped around, always steady at 17psi.

Dr. Evil 09-05-2008 09:33 AM

You want to run a needle valve - it will save the guage. Ive had my Isspro mechanical for 5 years now.

TNutcher 09-06-2008 06:35 PM

the isspro's especially - if you don't run a needle valve or some type of snubber they'll vibrate after 6 months or so and annoy you BADLY [verymad]

. . . not sure about autometer mechanical or diprocol gauges.
TNutcher

brianpgriset 09-07-2008 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by TNutcher (Post 2201019)
the isspro's especially - if you don't run a needle valve or some type of snubber they'll vibrate after 6 months or so and annoy you BADLY [verymad]

. . . not sure about autometer mechanical or diprocol gauges.
TNutcher

Sounds like you guys nailed it on the head, I had a horrible rattling noise for about 2 weeks, now it doesn't do it anymore and my gauge died at the same time...

Growing pains for me I guess. Fortunately only a $60 mistake.[duhhh]

Shovelhead 09-07-2008 06:26 PM

I'm still on my original Isspro Fuel Pressure gauge (with needle valve) installed in 2000.

Western Rammer 09-08-2008 02:22 PM

I have the same guage running on an isolator and so far no trouble. Put it in about 40 000 miles ago when I upgraded to the FASS pump.

Randy.