Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injectors vs delivey valves vs EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injectors vs delivey valves vs EGT's

Hey guys. Im about to get my tranny fixed up to hold a little, and would like just a little more power. Delivery valves can be had for $250 or so, and TST says they add about 60hp on my truck, which should set me right around 300rwhp. 370's would be nice, but i think i would need delivery valves for them with my small pump, so i was wondering about bosch 300's maybe? I would rather go delivery valves for ease of installation, and im guessing a smoother running truck, but i want some opinions. First of all. My EGT's are bad enough right now, but ive heard timing can lower them 150-200 degrees which would set me right around 1300* at WOT, because i can barley get 1450* right now(which is to hot i think for all i have done). But i think if i do timing, and can get my EGT's somewhere close to 1300* at WOT, i will be ok, with another mod . Anyway. My questions are:

1) Delivery Valves or injectors, and why?
2) Will injectors or delivery valves raise my EGT's the most?
3)How are the 300 bosch injectors, and what kind of power would i get from them?
4)Which would make for the smoothest and best running truck with lowest EGT's
5)What size delivery valves, or injectors would be best for me for 60-80 more hp?

When i am speaking of EGT's with injectors, i would like to know both about the 300's, and 370's. I just want a rig with the lowest EGT's possible(I can adjust my plate to get them where i want them), that is the best on the street with about a 60-80hp gain. These upgrades wont be happening till maybe mid summer, so it will be a while, but if the good lords willing it will happen . Also, what is you maximum EGT's with your fuel plate, and injector and/or DV setup with GSK, or without. List mods, EGT's and tranny please

Thanks guys!!

Eric
Old 02-12-2005, 09:11 AM

No takers?

Eric
Old 02-12-2005, 09:26 AM

You may want to back off the plate a little. How far is it forward from stock? That could be the reason for the high EGT's. Do you have 4" exhaust? That could help as well. I changed from the stock downpipe to a 4" and it dropped it a good bit. The injectors will make it higher I'd think. Mine went through the roof with the 370's. Even with the hx40. played with the plate position a little to get them a little lower. Haven't done DV's yet, they're coming soon though. I have the 181's I believe, the pump is a 96 manual pump. I was going to go up to some lazer cuts. The lack of a wastegate's really going to hurt too. If mine's unplugged I don't think I could control it. I made the one on the 40 a little bigger and it helped. I used to hit 1500+ easily under WOT. Now I'm seeing around 1350-1400 after playing with the plate, and the wastegate hole.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 AM

I have the same pump and I was going to add Dvs and 370s and I read on this board for a while and come to the conclusion it will be too hot for towing.So i just added some 215s and left it alone.Maybe you should try a different plate profile.Im no sure what profile your plate has but with that big housing it shouldnt get that hot.

I also read that the 300s have no advantage over the 370s so if you get any you may as well get them.You will probably need the dvs depending on your stock ones ,the 160 pump came with 2 different sizes.if you dont get them some have reported a stumble.

If you go that route you probably should get a 10 plate that defuels on top to control that egt and slide it back for towing.With the stuff i have ,my 10 is home made,my egt is about as hot as you would want for towing.I slid mine back to let the clutch live longer ,it would easily slip it while passing on the hiway.

You do know that alot of guy have removed the k and n filter because of the passing dirt dont you.Just a heads up. Let us know how it tows if you get the dvs and or injectors.Id like to add the stuff but man its a pain watching that pyro all the time.The 215s added a nice little bit of power but nothing huge.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!
Smokin594x4: My plate is full forward. My exhaust is also stock, just muffler/catless. Im thinking of buying a 4 inch downpipe, and building my own 4.5 inch exhaust. How much did it lower your EGT's? As for the wastegate, my 12cm housing is going back on, so i will have a wastegate again whenever i decide to take the time to put it back on. The 16cm doesent help anything anyway.

Dufrain: My plate is basically a #5. Im getting a stock plate soon, and think i might cut it to defuel on the top end some, because i thinky ou are right about it needing to defuel on the top end, because that is when my EGT's get crazy. I can back it off if i get D.V.'s and its to hot. And yes, you would think with the 16cm housing it wouldnt be that hot, but it did absolutley NOTHING at all for EGT's. Just slower spoolup, and the EGT's are the same, and boost is a little lower. Only reason i was thinking 300's was to keep from having to get delivery valves with them. I would like either one or the other, and then call it quits, because with both, i know EGT's would be crazy. 215's would be good for me if i could find some used for cheap because they are $500 for a set of 6 new ones at piers!! I can get 370's for that. What did the 215's do to your EGT's? I heard one person say they lowered his. That might end up bieng my best bet if i can find some for cheap.
As for the K&N. I hear all that junk, but i dont know. ANY air filter that flows better is obviously not filtering as good as a stock one. BUT, i havent ever found any dirt on my intake tube, and I would have rather had an AFE, but why is it $50 better than a K&N?? I would like to have an AFE, but im not gonna lose any sleep over having the K&N. Ive never heard of anyone having any engine failures of any sort from them, so i dont see any reason to worry to much myself.

Thanks for the help guys.

Eric
Old 02-12-2005, 11:19 AM

I got my 215s used for like 100 shipped ,I dont think they raised the egt any ,they are supposed to spray in a better pattern so they could lower it a little but probably not enough to matter much.They would probably be your best bet ,Im pretty sure i have read you tow heavy sometimes and 370 would roll the smoke and raise the egt way up. I have seen a few sets of the 215s in the classifieds here and tdr so you could find some ,check ebay to.Used they arent too high.

On the filter I will just use a big baldwin filter.The guys that had bad luck with the k and n had their oil tested and the silicate level were way higher than using a paper filter so that was dirt it was letting though.I wont sped the money on the afe either ,I think I will just stick with the 30 sum dollar bhaf style filter.Check baldwins website and their may be a farm dealer that carries them locally to you.Its the cheapest place to get them.I found a farm supply place a mile away from me that ordered mine.

If you want to grind your own 10 plate send me your email and I will email you a picture that you can print out and make a template for grinding your own.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 AM

IF you havent changed your timing that could lower your egt some to i have read.It for sure makes the truck run alot better and rev way quicker.That and the 4gsk and mine revs alot like a gas,it makes it alot easier to drive with the 5 speed
Old 02-12-2005, 12:28 PM

Eric how many times do I have to tell you where to get the best priced DV's!

His name is in mine and Farmall's sig's on the "other" site!

Although he's a bit backed up b/c of lack of cores, I'm 1st on the list, then my cores get cut for buddy of Aaron's. However he is still the best priced, and saving money is saving money isn't it?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Check your Isopro Temperature Guage

Your temperature are hoter than they should be; like mine, for no apparent reason. Isopro had a batch of EV that read high around Dec 2002 I think it was. You might want to check with them there a simple proceedure to adjust the calibration on their site.

Joe
Old 02-12-2005, 04:56 PM

Dufrain: If i could find some 215's for 100 shipped thats probably what i will do. They should at least add 40hp shouldnt they? What would you guys guess? For not any higher EGT's, and more power, that is what i need. Yes, i do tow heavy in the summer, so these are probably my best bet. Also, you are right, i have not had it timed, and 16.5 degrees of timing is in the near future

Got Smoke: I know, I know J.R. And i believe you, but im trying to figure out what i want before i go to buying stuf. I will definatley give him a call i promise you if i go to order D.V.'s Right now the 215's are looking tempting.....Hey..........When are you going to bigger injectors? You have a 215 pump and injectors right?

JBlock: That is very interesting. Hadnt heard of it. I kind of do think my EGT's are this high though, because before the GSK my max i only got to once was 1300 degrees, so i think its reading right, but thatnks for the heads up, and i may check into it.

Thanks guys

Eric
Old 02-12-2005, 05:46 PM

I have seen them from 100-150 in the classifieds and not much more on ebay but they arent on there very often.Im not sure on the hp but I could tell it was more than the 160s ,I think they say 30-40hp.I asked Jr about the dvs and the lc dvs and he said higher egt .I guess a guy could try the 215s and see how you like them,if they arent what you want you know you can always sell them and get 370s and the dvs.You will still have to get a 10 plate and start sliding it back until the egt comes under control.Id get the stock dvs from a 215 pump lcs would really run the egt up.i think they are 181.

You can see in my sig what I did for towing and all ever tow is 8000 once in a while and then maybe 5000 with my car hauler and egt will still get up there on me of I dont watch.I think your first step should be grind you a 10 out of your stock plate and see how that does for your egt then after you get that under control start with the 215s and then go on up to what you can live with towing.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 PM

Yeah. I really like the plate i have, the way it pulls down low, and in overdrive. I tried my buddys stock plate turned into a 0, and it didnt have as much power as my plate gives, so maybe it wasnt cut deep enough, but i dont know. I think if i do timing, and the 4 inch exhaust with 215's it should set me right where i would like to be. I might would like a little more, but i guess that will have to do because i would like lowest EGT's possible. I can keep my foot out of it a little when i pull, but i think i should be fine. I noticed that if i keep my rpms at about 2500 when i really want to get down the road, that it runs as good as it does at WOT, but EGT's are MUCH lower. Something about that last little movement of the arm makes the EGT's skyrocket. If timing will cool me down 150-200 degrees as ive heard, and a 4 inch exhaust maybe another 100, or even after both, a total of 250 degrees i would be great EGT wise. If i can get 215's for a little over 100, then i will probably have some right after my tranny gets redone. I would like to have whatever im getting by the time Scheid comes around(august) so i can dyno, and see what im at now. About 300rwhp would make me pretty happy. Thanks

Eric
Old 02-12-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty happy with the 215's I put in last spring. They gave me enough power to burn up the TC though. I can still hit 1300 degrees easily with the 10 plate in the stock position. Timing is at 15.5. I'm looking at 4" exhaust so I can play with the plate.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635

Got Smoke: Right now the 215's are looking tempting.....Hey..........When are you going to bigger injectors? You have a 215 pump and injectors right?

Sorry man I'm a stock parts pack rat! I've already got PDR 370's but I can't let my 215's go.

I wish I had replaced my Scotty II with the original air box before I sold whitey......would have saved me $150.

Glad you realize who to call to save some $$....give him a call anyways to see if he can find you any 215's 317-281-3130
Old 02-12-2005, 06:54 PM

Berner: Thats why im wainting till i get my tranny fixed up

Got Smoke: You and me both. I cant sell anything that i think i might even want to look at again . Hmmm. Dads truck has 215's. Who can work fast in the dark. Might have to do a swap one night Never thought of calling JR about 215's, but probably wouldnt be a bad idea.

Eric

Quick Reply: injectors vs delivey valves vs EGT's