Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I put original wheel brake cylinders back in

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put original wheel brake cylinders back in

i know this may not be the same for everyone, but I upgraded to the Chevy wheel cylinders a long time ago for better braking and at the time it seemed to work great. However over the years I noticed that under harder than normal braking, the rears would lock up and it didn't seem like the fronts were doing much work. I put the stock sized ones back in and i did notice that while it is harder to physically push the petal under normal braking, the front and rears are actually working together now. I went out and did some panic braking and it stops in a lot less distance now. Also the rear locks up just before the front does making it way easier to control if someone stops quick in front of me. I do have some other mods that most probably don't have that may or may not help me out. I have a ford front axle that has dual piston calipers, and I upgraded to factory hydroboost. Your results may vary from mine, but if you get premature lockup in the rear it may be worth a try.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I haven't found a need for more braking in the rear unless severely overloaded. Even then I think they do ok if adjusted right. The fronts could use some help, but they are limited to wheel/tire size imo.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
If I was going to make a change on my 2500, I would sooner upgrade to the 27mm 1 ton cylinders rather than the big 30mm Chev cylinders. Have tried them on a couple other 2500 trucks, they seem to be a decent upgrade without going overboard.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did it to 2 of my trucks and found it to help with the chev cylinders , the key is to adjust them and lube shoe contact points on backplate every 2 or so months , the auto adjusters don't often work
Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
That Ford axle with dual piston calipers sounds good.
On my '98.5 2500 I did the Chevy rear cylinder,bypassed the brake portioning valve per Dodge's TSB for constantly loaded trucks(my camper),Hawk pads all to no avail. Finally installed a Pacbrake. That along with a built DTT and Smart Controller enabled the truck to almost stop as well as my 3rd does right out of the box.