Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How to quiet down a cummins? Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife has hated my truck since I bought it.....too loud, too bumpy, too much leg room(she's barely 5 feet). The list goes on.......until we have to haul the daughters stuff, help the daughters move, pick up lumber for the cabin, or drive in a snowstorm, then she tolerates it.....but that's why she has her vehicle and I have mine.....

Normally I think of myself as a pretty tolerant person. The night I bought my truck, she ordered me to take it back or she was leaving.....Well...I don't like ol-tomatos aka ultimatums. She hasn't left, and I'm still driving the beast.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:51 PM

Isn't most of the noise coming from the injection pump and the injuector lines? What about wrapping some pipe insulation around the lines, that should help a little. You can't really do much about the pump. Otherwise, you can get that valve-cover cover. You are kinda between a rock and a hard place. I know the young lady that I'm working on drives a Chevy 6.5 diesel, I know it's not a Cummins, but that can be changed. At least she's got an oil burner!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by txwelder
If my wife threatened to leave me because of the sound of my truck I would have to let her hit the road.

You got that right!!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dma251
What do you all think about the two muffler/BIG muffler idea?
Getting the exhaust quiet is not a problem at all, it's quieting down all that clatter (music to some of us) from under the hood that is the issue.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 PM

I would say that a PSD is just as loud as a CTD..... it's just a different "kinda loud"....... maybe keep a pair of earplugs in the glovebox for her.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:33 PM

You know i really have to feel for some of you fellas..... I must have gotten a wife with different firmware or at least the updated model She thinks that since the truck is BIG it should dang well sound it, so loud and abnoxious suits her just fine.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:40 PM

If my girl threatened to leave 'cause of my truck being to loud,,,,,, I'd sure miss her.

As far as noise goes,, unless it's straight piped,, very little noise is coming out the exhaust. The motor is over 100dB at the oil pan. Insulate the oil pan as much as possible,, dynamat the firewall, dynamat the rear wall of the cab.

In the long run, you'll spend about $2,000 in getting the truck quiet enough to keep the wife,, so you can hear her complain about something else.

Merrick
Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with the others, no smart talk here! If she's leaving because of truck noise, she's leaving sooner or later anyway, just give her a reason, " It my as well be the truck!"
The following users liked this post:
shiversc120 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-23-2004, 06:03 PM

Yeah but just watch..... when she goes the first thing the lady will be granted in court is the truck and the garage to keep it in.

Would be my luck anyhow!!

How's that saying going? When Momma ain't happy NOBODY is happy.......

WHO want's to be a nobody.........buy the truck!! Then tell her your gonna try and quiet it down by putting more fuel to it.....and bigger pipes....and....
Old 03-23-2004, 07:11 PM

GUYS, I got my first CTD as a package deal with a 5th wheel travel trailer.( I needed the trailer) My wife found the deal in our local classifieds. After making the deal, on our way home she explained her idea of selling the CTD to help recoup some of the $$$ we laid out.(OUCH! I always wanted one of these trucks) I convinced her that we should keep the truck for the summer and then think about getting rid of it. (A.K.A. Buying time) About 1 month later the CTD became "Her Truck." It has been her truck for about 3 or 4 years now. A few weeks ago she came home from the local Dodge dealer on a mission I sent her on and she had that look in her eyes, you know that glow a woman sometimes gets... that's right, she found an extended cab CTD she really liked. After a lot of begging and pleading,I let her get it.
Moral of the story: "Get her in the truck, let her do the math regarding the fuel mileage and even if you have to, let her cal it "Her Truck"
Just don't get the Ford!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:35 PM

Mine said the same thing, "this thing is too loud" but after ONE trip to the gulf, and should I say that she had the seat laid back and was snoring louder than the cummins was rattling after about 90 miles. So now when we go on a long or longer trip, we drive the truck,and I get told "wake me up when we get there or stop for fuel so I can pee" , as for me, I like the 400 watt amp and subs, I de-tuned it to take out that thumping crap and all I have is music, LOUD CLEAR music, ain't my fault the outside mirrors shake, I like it that way. The rattle of the cummins going down the road is like being rocked to sleep, and the drone of the 4" exhaust at about 16-1700 rpm just adds to it. Unless he's got kids and been married for a long time, buy the truck and sleep in the living room, and let her ride in the trailer when traveling, HEY, maybe she'll have the meals ready when it's time to stop ah crap, even if he's got kids and been married a long time, buy it anyway, you only live once, a gasser will kill you on MPG and all he'll do is regret it. Another thought is to buy her some of the Bose noise canceling head phones or some cheap ear plugs.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:56 PM

I must of got lucky too. We were test driving a 98.5 yesterday and the wife said she didn't think it was loud at all.

happy days are comming as soon as I find the right truck we will both be all
Old 03-24-2004, 01:59 PM

Why?
Old 03-24-2004, 03:22 PM

dma251,

As you can see in my sig., I have both the valve cover($179) and exhaust manifold blankets($286). Yes, they are kind of expensive, but they do work well and they did increase my fuel economy a little.
I have pics posted in the members section.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:41 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I think it's been very helpful to his decision.
For the record I've agreed with all of you that suggest "trade in the wife on the new truck"....

Quick Reply: How to quiet down a cummins? Can it be done?