Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How many people have the turbo timer from the online store?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many people have the turbo timer from the online store?

Was thinking about purchasing the turbo cool down timer from the on-line store since its so reasonably priced there.

Just wondering how many members have this system, and how well it functions.

TIA

Got Smoke?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Banned

My roommate has it and it's pretty cool. Works great. I'm saving up to get it. Not because I care about my turbo, but so I can see the looks on people's faces when I leave the truck running and it turns off on it's own.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got one when they first came out earlier in the year. Install was a snap at about 15 minutes. Took longer to decide where to put it in the cab. Works great.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:26 PM

where do all the wires go that I see in the pic?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:30 PM

There's really only three wires (plus a jumper, on mine). Two go to the fuse box, and one to the parking brake switch (or, optionally, to ground). Very easy install. Works great.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Pappa
There's really only three wires (plus a jumper, on mine). Two go to the fuse box, and one to the parking brake switch (or, optionally, to ground). Very easy install. Works great.
So how does it keep the truck running?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:37 PM

I don't know the exact circuit it feeds. Once the timer is started and you shut off the ignition and remove the key, most systems shut down (radio, etc.) but the engine continues to run for the specified amount of time (2,4, or 6 mins).
Old 09-16-2004, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Got Smoke?
So how does it keep the truck running?
I've got one on my 99 and two guys at work also have it on their trucks. It works great! ,,,,,,,,,,, Very easy to install,,,,,,, and you can CLICK HERE for the article that Top wrote when he installed his.
In simple terms,,,,, it basically is a three setting timer that allows the engine run circuit to recieve 12 volts after you turn off the ignition switch (which would normally shuts it off). When the set time expires,,,,, the engine circuit loses the 12 volts thus shutting off the engine.

I love mine,,,,,,,,, it has never given me any problems and it's well worth the $ IMO
Old 09-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Muted User

i used to have a turbo'd car and i had a turbo timer on it. i guess it was good for the turbo but other people's expressions where definetly far greater. i would go someone and someone would say "hey your car's still running" and i would say "yeah i know. it's turbo'd". it is definetly a cool gadget. the one i had hook up to the clutch as well so if someone broke into it while it was running, as soon as they hit the clutch it would cut off the car. but this one had an "automatic" function where it judged how long you've been driving or how hard, and it automatically added more time to the countdown to let the turbo cool off more.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:42 PM

I have a couple question about the turbo timer.

1st of all, is it necessary.
It has been said that we are shortening the life of our turbos every time we shut it down before cooling to 300-350.

What is the expected life of a turbo (abused or not)?

I have a buddy that owns a construciton company and all his trucks are 7.3 powerstrokes. Most of them have close to or over 200k and all are on their oem turbo. I am almost positive none of the drivers baby these trucks. I am sure they are driven like you or I would drive a rental car and none have a turbo timer. So what gives.
Is a Holset turbo more acceptable to wear resulting from heat?

Now onto cosmetic details, if it is a necessity.

What are the dimensions of the box? Will I be able to conceal it within the ashtray?
It's just my oppinion, but I think its big and bulky.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by fourwhls00
Now onto cosmetic details, if it is a necessity.

What are the dimensions of the box? Will I be able to conceal it within the ashtray?
It's just my oppinion, but I think its big and bulky.
Then buy the custom install setup like the one I posted the picture of above.

Then all you have visable is the selectable switch and the LED.

That is probably the route I will go!
Old 09-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Muted User

the turbo timer will be a better choice for the guy who spent thousands on his turbo setup than for the guy who has a stock turbo.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although it is a little more expensive than Howard's cool down timer, I think Isspro's turbo monitor is a better choice. Instead of selecting a predetermined amount of time to keep the truck running, the turbo monitor connects to same thermocouple used to drive your pyrometer. You preset the EGT that you want the truck to shut off at. It will either run for < 1 min or 3 or 8 or whatever until the EGT reaches your preset value. I think they go for about $110.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a Howard's timer. Now that I have a pyro gauge, I use it more for running into convenience stores than as a shutdown timer. If I notice the pyro is above 300 I'll use it but mostly I can just shut down by the time I've parked.

It took me longer to figure out where to mount it than it did to install. Directions are great.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Banned

Mechanos, where do I find this ISPRO cool down timer?

Fourwhls00, I've got 70K out of my stock HY turbo. Most of it's life has been spent at 35+ psi. I'm not an easy driver either. I've never waited for it to cool down. It still spins just as freely as the day I bought it and there is no play in the shaft at all. Even when I had my comp, I wouldn't let it cool off. Only reason I want one now is so I can get the weird stares from people when I leave the truck running and it turns itself off.

Quick Reply: How many people have the turbo timer from the online store?