Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How do I adjust my wastegate?

Old 04-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I adjust my wastegate?

I've been running a Quadzilla boost fooler for awhile now, but haven't adjusted my wastegate as they said in the instructions and want to know how to adjust my wastegate. I have a Banks Big Head wastegate already installed. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Messing with the wastegate linkage just adjusts how far the gate opens.
What you need is a boost elbow like this> Boost Elbow
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the Big Head adjustable? I seem to recall a spring tension adjustment on the rear of the WG for adjusting boost set point.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Is the Big Head adjustable? I seem to recall a spring tension adjustment on the rear of the WG for adjusting boost set point.
Good question.
It's been a long time but I've installed lots of Banks kits with the Big Head. They don't come with any instructions about adjustment nor do the kits have a boost elbow.
My guess is they come preadjusted.

Then again their instructions show you the starwheel but there's not one word on what to do with it.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What happens when you disconnect the boost line completly?
The power stroke guys just remove the line.

Tom
Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 PM

Is there any way to test the factory wastegate to see if it's working properly? I thought that it was possible to hear the wastegate open and close...I don't ever even recall hearing mine at all...
Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never actually "heard" the wastegate open. You can bench test the wastegate with some regulated air (approx 25 psi) and feed the actuator with the air pressure to see if it opens properly or has any internal leaks. After that you can dial the pressure back to see where it actually opens.

IRRC the Big head WG was set for a 35 psi set point. Most just have boost elbows (crude regulators) to set boost pressure to their required pressure.

Just pulling the line and plugging the port is fine as long as you are not sending the turbo into never-never land with high boost pressures (typically over 40 psi mark). The normal setpoint for maximum pressure and efficiency is the 35-36 psi range for the stock HX35 turbo.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the responses, I do have an adjustable boost elbow bought from the same guy that INFIDEL suggested. It is set at all the way open for max boost. I'm getting 25 psi without the boost fooler but with the adj. elbow and around 32 with the boost fooler and elbow. Does this sound about right?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
I've never actually "heard" the wastegate open. You can bench test the wastegate with some regulated air (approx 25 psi) and feed the actuator with the air pressure to see if it opens properly or has any internal leaks. After that you can dial the pressure back to see where it actually opens.

IRRC the Big head WG was set for a 35 psi set point. Most just have boost elbows (crude regulators) to set boost pressure to their required pressure.

Just pulling the line and plugging the port is fine as long as you are not sending the turbo into never-never land with high boost pressures (typically over 40 psi mark). The normal setpoint for maximum pressure and efficiency is the 35-36 psi range for the stock HX35 turbo.
sorry, maybe i'm thinking of blow off valve? is this what can be heard when the throttle is let off after a truck gets up fairly high rpm on the dyno? i've just never heard this sound from my truck but maybe i've never gotten on it hard enough for it to do it....it's a auto though so maybe it's harder to do this.....
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM

If it's a blowoff valve you're hearing it's an aftermarket mod, not stock.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mstep3
sorry, maybe i'm thinking of blow off valve? is this what can be heard when the throttle is let off after a truck gets up fairly high rpm on the dyno? i've just never heard this sound from my truck but maybe i've never gotten on it hard enough for it to do it....it's a auto though so maybe it's harder to do this.....
Blowoff aren't really needed on a diesel truck (no throttle plate).

But RARELY you will see one in a setup linked to the throttle. It activates when you life the throttle to prevent the turbo from going into surge when the drive energy collapses.

JH
Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 PM

What you are hearing is TURBO BARK

Not really a good thing, try & let off a little slower

Proflow
Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 PM

I just went to Home Depot and put a $3 Turnbuckle on mine. I cranked that sucker down real tight and now when the TC locks up the turbo seems to hit pretty hard.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey tejas tj, can you put up a couple good pics of the turn buckle set up? im gonna do one on mine also. getting a smarty next week, so i wanna get the most out of the stock turbo. pretty sure the smarty has boost fooling...
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Chapter President

Here is a pic of the one I did.
Attached Thumbnails How do I adjust my wastegate?-p1010004.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I adjust my wastegate?