High elevation towing turbo - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High elevation towing turbo

Old 12-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Paul, nice write-up and update on your turbo upgrade project. I'm in the process of upgrading/replacing my mostly stock HX-35 turbo with a re-manufactured Holset HE351CW - the type used in 04.5-07 Rams - that also has an upgrade exhaust housing with 67mm x 76 turbine wheel to help reduce EGTs, especially when towing. I'll also be implementing a BD-Diesel 4" inline exhaust brake. We now have a 38-ft 5th wheel that weighs about 15K-lb so the extra power, lower EGTs and EB will be appreciated.

That said, in building the turbo, I'm taking into consideration the EB back pressure and bought some Fel-Pro 3009 gasket material at O'Reilly's to seal it up. I used tin snips to cut this as it has a perforated metal layer that's too tough for scissors. I have 1 gasket cut for sealing between the center housing and exhaust housing and 1 for between the center housing and 4" cast exhaust elbow. I'm not sure yet if I'll also need 1 for the Diamond Eye downpipe or not. I think this material should work as it's described as made for exhaust headers and such. The material is 3/64" thick and is fairly rigid, although it is flexible to a point.

I also read that you had some problems sourcing v-band clamps and related items. I found a source online that so happens to have a physical store/distribution site here in Colorado Springs that I can walk in and get all kinds of clamps, tubing and flexible couplers and adapters AND they aren't nearly as costly as most other sources I've found. This company is Silicone Intakes and here's their website in case you want to check them out - Intercooler Pipe Fabrication. This is where I bought my v-band clamps and aluminum tubing as well as flexible coupler/adapters for connecting the turbo compressor outlet to the intercooler inlet. Now, I just need the time and warmer weather to complete this project.

Anyway, just wanted to pass on congrats on getting your system working and some info on gasket material and clamps and such to you and anyone who may be doing this as well.