Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   headlight upgrade ? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/headlight-upgrade-328771/)

oldblues 08-28-2017 12:07 AM

headlight upgrade ?

hi all !

looking to upgrade my headlights , lenses getting dull soooo ,what to buy ?

so many choices ????

thank you !

98 quad single bulb now [coffee]

Greg Reed 08-28-2017 06:15 AM

I read on a headlight thread on one of the forums, where Daniel Stern (daniel stern lighting) recommended Dorman headlights. This was for a Sport conversion. The Sport conversion has been popular. The Daniel Stern harness is a good addition. It seems factory Sport headlights are almost un-obtainable now.

BarryG 08-28-2017 08:48 AM

Do the sport light upgrade. X2 on Daniel Stern harness. Top quality harness. I used depo lights. I believe Geno's Garage sells them. As good as oem no but I had no problems with them and they were a fraction of the price of OEM. When I did mine years ago oem sport lights which were still available were about 300 a side. The depot were 140 a pair. No idea what they are now though.

Dieselbuilder 08-28-2017 10:18 AM

sport headlight buckets and led lights works great on mine the old ones where so bad might as well turned them off to drive at nite

cougar 08-28-2017 10:19 AM

I did the "sport" light conversion a few years back. Even with hi wattage bulbs I can't say it's a great improvement. Do the HID conversion. Expensive? Yes, but it seems to be the best option for these trucks. Unless you like lots of auxiliary lights.

Dieselbuilder 08-28-2017 04:44 PM

Led lights in high and low but when the high is on both high and low are on both lights it makes for a mighty bright lite 130 dollars for both lights only problem i have is the day light running lights run low voltage on the high side but with led it only takes a small amount of power to light them up so soon as you jump in the truck just turn the lights on low

torquefan 08-28-2017 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder (Post 3333806)
Led lights in high and low but when the high is on both high and low are on both lights it makes for a mighty bright lite 130 dollars for both lights only problem i have is the day light running lights run low voltage on the high side but with led it only takes a small amount of power to light them up so soon as you jump in the truck just turn the lights on low

Do you find that you have a well defined beam pattern with the LEDs? I put LED bulbs in the high beams of my Sport lamps, then shone them against a wall so as to aim them. Was disappointed to see no beam pattern on the wall, just random light. Same thing out on the road. They throw out a fair amount of light, it just seems to be all over the place. Is that to be expected?

Dieselbuilder 08-28-2017 11:18 PM

No defined beam but bright the wifes car is led but uses a projection setup to get the beam you like , compared to me old lights no contest it lights up the road as well as both sides of the ditch

torquefan 08-30-2017 09:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. They do seem to light up the road anyway. I don't think I'll rush to upgrade to projectors right away, I'm still pretty happy with the Sport lamps. I'm sure I'll get used to the LEDs.

cougar 08-31-2017 10:49 AM

I've only found LED's to be bright when your staring at them. As far as putting light down the road, no. Go with HID's.

Midnite 09-14-2017 11:34 AM

How much do the stock fog lights help?

BILTIT 09-14-2017 02:25 PM

Projector HID, only lights to get.

2nd Gen Dodge Ram HID Projector Retrofitted Headlamps

Midnite 09-20-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Midnite (Post 3335025)
How much do the stock fog lights help?

Anyone?

I have all the pieces necessary to add on stock fog lights to my truck, but was thinking aftermarket LED units with a wide flood pattern might be better.

It's hard not to want to use what I've already got though.

The HIDs look interesting, but they're too pricey for me.

PaulDaisy 10-18-2017 11:18 AM

I have stock fog lights. They help but not on the highway. Their beam pattern falls in shorter than the low beam on the main headlights, and provides even illumination to the road. Useful on forest roads for me, on the highway, not so much IMO.

04ctd 10-23-2017 10:05 PM

don't the Depo Lights fail to seal & leak/fog up eventually?

there are two questions:
-what light assembly (brand/sport/non sport/OEM/Depo/eBay)
-what to put in there to create the light (LED/HID/Halogen)

i have the OEM lights in my truck, they are brown/dirty, can prolly clean them up,
should I just polish them (won't leak & fog up) and just put HID's in there?

links please, the link above is to a $500 set of lights, that's not reasonable.