Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Headgasket wont stop leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headgasket wont stop leaking

Hey everyone, so i have been dealing with my truck for about 3 months now first i blew a headgasket so i got it o-ringed and the whole head redone resurface etc.. with a .020 over marine gasket and studs first i got it all together and put antifreeze in it and leaked out of between the head and block with out even starting it. So i though maybe o-rings where protruding to much. took it all back apart got that checked the the guy that did it said that the grooves were the right depth. SO i put it back on a second time NEW .020 headgasket. all together put fluid in it not leaking this time, started it up and it seeped out in one spot. it made me soo upset i let it sit all week with out tougching it went back to it over that weekend started it back up and NO leak. So ran it for about 4 days with out it leaking then today it started leaking again a good bit all down the exhasut side of the block but before it on only 1 seep now its about 1/2 the length of the block between the block and head. A friend of mine says thinks i wasnt using enough lube and not gettin a correct torque reading so i put A LOT more on. still same thing. They're torqued to 125 ft lbs now and still leaking i was told to try another retorque before tearing it all down again i guess thats what im gonan try this weekend.

Anyone ever had this much problem if anyone has input feel free im open for any ideas to gey my truck back to running with OUT leaking! Sorry so long just tried describing the whole situation.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 PM

Another O ringed disaster!!!

Same deal happend to me. I ended up selling the truck.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:30 AM
Banned

I have no idea. Maybe check the block for squareness?

On a side note, how did you manage 501hp with no wire tap box? I'm guessing big injectors, turbo, Smarty or similar little add on box, and possibly some sort of drug?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel

does that happen often?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Banned

im still gunshy since mine popped. everytime i see 50psi+ i worry about the gasket but with the o-rings and studs its holding great.

sounds like a warped head or block.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just posted in TDR about a month ago about the same thing. I blew a oring on #1 cylinder & after tearing the head off...I decided to go with a slightly bigger wire....big mitake. I used a .049 wire with a .026 protrution which I found to be way too much cause my leak just wouldn't seal. The wire that I used was too soft....kept seeping out the front of the block. I then had the shop who did my orings put the .041 wire in dropping my protrution down to .018. I did get the head sealed with the .049 wire except a small weep hole in the front by using this step recommended by Doug [Jetpilot]. Before using this step I had fluid just pouring out all the way around the head. He told me instead of just checking the bolts with the torque wrench & snugging them up....to back each bolt off [loose] then tighten them in one complete revolution smoothly to keep from shock loading the bolts....It really made a difference & I mean a big difference. I did the Cummins sequence & torqued my 12mm studs to 139lbft. It is important that you use a stainless steel wire & try this method. It doesn't sound like your leak is half as bad as mine was....it just might work.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM

O NO i can't sell it i need to figure this out! What do you mean by o-ring disaster?

BigBlue: I have a couple things mentioned there just no wire tap and no drugs

74dart: I hope it not like this for everyone one its horrible. I haven't seen many people having as much problems as i am.

Getblown: I had the head resurfaces i hope its not warped the block i'm not sure about that if this next re-torque doesn't work i will be taking it all back apart. and check it with a machined flat edge. I think it is the o-rings not seating. I'm gonna try a different machine shop if i do take it all back apart.

J Lent: sound just like the problem i'm having i have been talking to Doug also and this is where im at. i thought i had it the second time when i got a new torque wrench and put a lot more arp lube on so i drove it and have never gotten over 5 lbs of boost and its leaking. i think it the o-rings are not seating it doesn't seem like i am getting coolant in the oil the oil level is the same not milky its just on the exhaust side by the looks of it. If you know of any good diesel machine shops or even any diesel shops i would love to get this figured out. I mean i don't want to put it out that i maybe doing something wrong. But i don't think i am.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

if you are only having problems leaking coolant out the exhaust side then its not the o-rings that arent seating. if you had a compression leak and oil leaking/mixing with coolant then maybe.

Did you put any RTV sealant on the 6 longer studs that go down the exhaust side? I've heard but cannot confirm that these holes are tapped all the way into the water jacket. Maybe its leaking up thru the stud holes and out the exhaust side of the head.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
if you are only having problems leaking coolant out the exhaust side then its not the o-rings that arent seating. if you had a compression leak and oil leaking/mixing with coolant then maybe.

Did you put any RTV sealant on the 6 longer studs that go down the exhaust side? I've heard but cannot confirm that these holes are tapped all the way into the water jacket. Maybe its leaking up thru the stud holes and out the exhaust side of the head.
The long stud holes are blind just like the rest of them.
No need for RTV on those.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9

if this is true this would make complete sense. No i have not i was told that they do not protrude into any jackets and was told to run them in dry. I did bottom tap all of them also. If this is confirmed true that would be nice. No coolant in the oil is from yesterday after i shut it off it never over heated and if coolant is going into the oil it is not much.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM

Aw thanks a lot way to rain on my parade!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

thanks, i read it somewhere but didnt know the truth
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I have no idea. Maybe check the block for squareness?

On a side note, how did you manage 501hp with no wire tap box? I'm guessing big injectors, turbo, Smarty or similar little add on box, and possibly some sort of drug?
And a stock air box! No drugs, but he does have a big spinny thing He did it just to show me up

Thats a sick truck you've got there Mr francis, hope you get this worked out soon.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by francis212

J Lent: sound just like the problem i'm having i have been talking to Doug also and this is where im at. i thought i had it the second time when i got a new torque wrench and put a lot more arp lube on so i drove it and have never gotten over 5 lbs of boost and its leaking. i think it the o-rings are not seating it doesn't seem like i am getting coolant in the oil the oil level is the same not milky its just on the exhaust side by the looks of it. If you know of any good diesel machine shops or even any diesel shops i would love to get this figured out. I mean i don't want to put it out that i maybe doing something wrong. But i don't think i am.
Where are you located? Advanced Diesel Technology is only in Arthurdale, WV. 304-864-3399....Doug really knows his stuff.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 PM

I am going to try another re torque hope that work smack a lot more lube on there and try and get a real smooth torque down tighten it up. If not i'm gonna tear it back apart for a 3rd time.

Quick Reply: Headgasket wont stop leaking