Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   gear vendors over/under drive? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/gear-vendors-over-under-drive-62990/)

IH8MYCAT 03-07-2005 12:24 AM

gear vendors over/under drive?

What is this I'm hearing about ?? What does it do, where can I get one, and what does it cost ??

Thanks !!

mikelr 03-07-2005 12:44 AM

It's a gear splitter (aux overdrive or underdrive) that mounts behind your transfer case that gives you an alternate final drive ratio. Depending on what your stock rear end ratio is, say 4.10 or 3.54.. you may want the benefit of either a taller or a shorter gear. One will give better fuel economy and the other will give you greater pulling power.
In my case (4.10 gears), I would want an overdrive unit to gain better fuel economy.

600 Megawatts 03-07-2005 05:56 AM

With a Cummins under the hood, even the 3:54 geared trucks want to use this as an OVER drive.... This would knock your cruise RPM's down at 70 MPH from, 2,000 to 1,600 SWEET!!! Plus you can split gears from third gear up, just like the big boys.......

But, unfortunately this little bugger is WAY expensive, as in like $2,500...... It would take probably a million miles to get it to pay back if you based your decision on fuel mileage.......

Kevin

mikelr 03-07-2005 02:28 PM

Yes, but what's the cool factor worth?:cool: :cool: :cool:

RustyJC 03-07-2005 02:54 PM

With the manual transmission, you may want to consider a U.S. Gear under/overdrive in a towing application. The Gear Vendors unit is not compatable with an exhaust brake when the GV is energized.

Rusty

600 Megawatts 03-07-2005 05:17 PM

Why is it not compatible with an engine brake? You can downshift it and it works just fine with normal engine compression braking.. it transmits torque in either direction just fine... Perhaps is has to do with the thrust bearing in it and too much torque in the reverse direction is hard on the thrust bearing????

Kevin

rharveysr 03-07-2005 05:43 PM

Perhaps is has to do with the thrust bearing in it and too much torque in the reverse direction is hard on the thrust bearing????
Thats it exactly!

Rick

SmokinFive9 4x4 03-07-2005 08:29 PM

Theres a great article in the most recent issue of TDR magazine, good info on the ins and outs of both.

doodah 03-07-2005 08:39 PM

IH8MYCAT- I have a friend here just outside of town that has just put in a gearvendor on his 99 5-speed 3500 with 4:10 gears, He loves it! he says it will pay for it self in 60,000 miles, and you can keep it and put it on a different truck if you get a different one, just get ahold of the place and they trade you the piece that is used, to a new one for the new model you got. He is now a dealer for them as well, Where you at in MN? I am N Iowa, just south of Spring valley, MN about 45 minutes.get a hold of me if your interested and I can get you his #.