Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

fuel plate question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel plate question

okay i have read that installing a fuel plate helps the horse power how?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

simple answer..... more fuel

the fuel plate profile and its positioning in the pump controlls how the pump fuels the engine. sliding the plate to the front gives it more fuel and sliding it back does the opposite. each fuel plate has a different profile and they all fuel differently.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM

coco,

I would also like to add that a diesel engine does not have an air/fuel ratio like a gasoline engine. You can keep adding fuel until the exhaust gas temperature reaches a sustained 1250*. Above that, you risk damage.

Keep reading here. There is a lot of good info and a lot of smart people willing to help. Most of your questions have been asked here, so plan to do a lot of reading.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM

i removed my plate for more fuel
Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 AM

but how is your MPG?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM

fuel plates dont hurt mpg unless ur standing on it
Old 11-14-2008, 12:32 PM

if you turn up the boost and do a fuel plate your mpg will probly increase because you dont have to mash it to the floor to get it moving and the higher boost pressures make the engine more efficient up to 35 psi with a stock charger.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM
GLH

my fuel economy got better after the fuel plate mod
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM

Mileage gains with the plate change seem fishy to me. All you are doing is allowing the rack to travel further. The plate doesn't make the engine any more effecient, or fuel delivery any more effecient. You are simply allowing more to go in. Basically letting you put your pedal to the floor instead of halfway like in stock form. Injectors would affect mileage, since it will affect fuel delivery at all times, regardless of throttle position. Timing will affect mileage since it affects fuel delivery at all times regardless of throttle position. Plates only come into play at WOT situations, so any other time, they are irrelevant. JMO.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tate
Mileage gains with the plate change seem fishy to me. All you are doing is allowing the rack to travel further. The plate doesn't make the engine any more effecient, or fuel delivery any more effecient. You are simply allowing more to go in. Basically letting you put your pedal to the floor instead of halfway like in stock form. Injectors would affect mileage, since it will affect fuel delivery at all times, regardless of throttle position. Timing will affect mileage since it affects fuel delivery at all times regardless of throttle position. Plates only come into play at WOT situations, so any other time, they are irrelevant. JMO.
Exactly!
Plate does nothing untill the AFC moves out of the way.
If you drive it with less boost you will get better mileage.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 PM
GLH

well before the plate I was getting 800 to 900 km's per tank and after I'm consistently over 1000 km's per tank the reason I think is because I have to pedal it less to get it down the road
If I beat on it yes the millage goes down
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by GLH
well before the plate I was getting 800 to 900 km's per tank and after I'm consistently over 1000 km's per tank the reason I think is because I have to pedal it less to get it down the road
If I beat on it yes the millage goes down
You still need to give it the same amount of pedal to get up to speed if all you changed is the plate. You still need the same amount of rack travel to put out the same amount of fuel to make the same amount of power. You might have your AFC set differently, or just driving it nicer.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 PM
GLH

Originally Posted by Tate
You still need to give it the same amount of pedal to get up to speed if all you changed is the plate. You still need the same amount of rack travel to put out the same amount of fuel to make the same amount of power. You might have your AFC set differently, or just driving it nicer.
could be but I can also run a gear higher with less effort so Im sure its a lot of things but never the less Im getting
Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM

If your changing the plate, set the timing and tighten the gov. springs a couple clicks, too.

Doing just one mod. on a 12V doesn't do much from a seat of the pants perspective, but getting a custom ground plate, gov. spring adjustment and timing bump will prove well worth it.

I have seen many good shops that know what they are doing only charge $400 for these mods. Truck comes in at 180rwhp, and leaves a couple hours later at 350rwhp and running more efficiently and smoother than ever.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 AM

You can jus grind your on plate and save yourself some money. I wouldn't take it out though. You don't gain any more power or fuel by doing this. If you grind a zero plate you will have just as much fuel as if there were no plate in the pump. At that point the plate jus acts as a stop for the rack. If you pull the plate out you can run the risk of the rack going to far foward and hanging open. Not a good thing at all very bad things can happen. Jus my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: fuel plate question