Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Exhaust Brake--Poll (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/exhaust-brake-poll-227893/)

Krob 12-29-2008 12:50 PM

Exhaust Brake--Poll

Alright, what kind of Exhaust Brake do you guys use or believe are better.

Ok also this is my plan new exhuast 4in then put a in line brake in. So that i can have the ability to play with my turbo/turbos[coffee] later on.

What kind of set up should i be looking at air/vac. How could i piece it together cheaply. I'v got awhile before i will be close to my truck. I have read through a number of the posts on E-Brakes.

Where did those of you using a non kit get your air compressors/tanks?

Thanks
ROb

Dr. Evil 12-29-2008 01:45 PM

Unless Jacobs has brought out something new, Pac is the only way to go here.

Krob 12-29-2008 03:40 PM

Thats kinda what it sounds like but i wanna hear anyone elses opinion. I think BD is next in line but i am just guessing since i dont have any first hand knowlege.

CapnRam 12-29-2008 03:56 PM

i'm running the Pacbrack inline unit, 4" with a manual tranny! Where i'm finding it working well for me now is the warm up time on the engine, i start the truck, set the brake and 10 minutes later i'm at 190*, and thats -20 out!! I love this thing! Plus now i have on board air for other things, like air bags, ARB locker, horns?? Love my Pabbrake!

Homestead 12-29-2008 05:03 PM

I installed my BD turbo mount 5 days after I bought (Sept 02) the truck, about 1400 km's on the ticker.

She is at 267,000 km's and counting, it still works as good as the day it was installed. It's used everyday, all weather conditions and has never let me down. It's the original vacuum lines, everything is original to the install except the shifter mounted switch, it started to rattle so I changed it out.

The only thing that is to be considered (it's not a problem for me) but it limits your turbo choices because it's turbo mounted.

Jeff

screamin01 12-29-2008 05:30 PM

Just Installed my BD 4in inline vacuum exhaust brake. Works great better than my dad turbo mount Banks. BD is cheaper than Pac and you have the option to vacuum or air that Pac doesnt offer.

Krob 12-29-2008 11:07 PM

Excuse my ignorance but how does a vacum E-brake work compared to a air E-brake.

How long of a delay is it for retarding to come in with a turbo mounted unit. Is it like hit the switch and then a secound later its slowing you done or does it take a secound to build. From what i have read the inline doesnt take that much longer then the turbo mounted.

Thanks

Krob 01-01-2009 04:00 AM

Bump, i can tell alot of you were up late last night. [coffee]

rebal 01-01-2009 06:57 PM

I Have a BANKS vac operated unit and it works great.I did mod the electronics to come on when I want it on. But with that said I install a lot of pac brakes there is a difference the pac stops better . as far as vac or air both turn on fast

HecTiK 01-01-2009 08:08 PM

Do they have any inlines for a 5in exhaust? Or could you put it on the downpipe?

peobryant 01-02-2009 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 2330546)
Unless Jacobs has brought out something new, Pac is the only way to go here.

I agree, Pac all the way.

Beer_Studd_76 01-02-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Krob (Post 2330512)
Alright, what kind of Exhaust Brake do you guys use or believe are better.

Ok also this is my plan new exhuast 4in then put a in line brake in. So that i can have the ability to play with my turbo/turbos[coffee] later on.

What kind of set up should i be looking at air/vac. How could i piece it together cheaply. I'v got awhile before i will be close to my truck. I have read through a number of the posts on E-Brakes.

Where did those of you using a non kit get your air compressors/tanks?

Thanks
ROb

I have a PAC BRAKE and it has stuck in the "on" position twice basically disabling my truck.

The rest of the time it works great.

screamin01 01-02-2009 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by rebal (Post 2334229)
I Have a BANKS vac operated unit and it works great.I did mod the electronics to come on when I want it on. But with that said I install a lot of pac brakes there is a difference the pac stops better . as far as vac or air both turn on fast

How do you do the electronics mod to get to come on when you want it too. Do you mean it comes on sooner? No delay.

xtoyz17 01-02-2009 01:21 PM

My older truck (96, older pac brake), also had the brake stick on. Would NOT accelerate at all. It was a little solenoid that I ended up pulling apart and cleaning and all was well again. It was original to the truck I think? Looked pretty corroded and what not...

I'm sure the newer ones work much better!

PaulDaisy 01-03-2009 02:36 PM

BD 4" inline brake, vacuum actuated. Love it, have no delay in actuation and not limited in turbo choices.