Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Brake

I will be going out to Elkhart, Indiana next week to start RV hauling. I am considering having an exhaust brake installed on my truck. Are there any opinions on which type to buy? Can anyone recommend a facility to install the brake in the Elkhart area? Do I need to have a dealer install it so as not to void the warrantee?<br><br>Also would like to hear from those that have an exhaust brake with any negative or positive comments they may have about them. <br><br>A thousand pardons if this is posted to the wrong forum. I am new here. Also would like to thank the moderators. This is a really great site and I have learned quite a bit about my truck. I am a first time diesel owner.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:52 AM

Re:Exhaust Brake

You won't keep the factory warranty if you install an exhaust brake with your automatic transmission.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:32 PM

NOT SURE ABOUT THE AUTOMATIC. I KNOW WHEN I BOUGHT MY 02 IN JULY, IN DODGE'S AFTERMARKET CATALOG THEY HAVE A JACOBS BRAKE YOU CAN INSTALL ON THE SIX SPEED. I WORKED THE DEAL OUT WITH DODGE AND I HAD THEM PUT ONE ON. THE DEALER COST IS AROUND 600 DOLLARS AND I THINK THEY SELL IT OVER THE COUNTER FOR 700 DOLLARS. I HAVE PUT ON 4000 MILES WITH IT AND IT WORKS GREAT WHEN LOADED. I LIVE IN ALASKA AND THEY WARNED MY OF USING IT IN THE WINTER. THE LULL IN BETWEEN OF LETTING OFF AND THE UNIT KICKING IN TAKES ABOUT 1.5 SECONDS. THIS IS ALOT OF PRESSURE AND IN ICE WILL CAUSE YOUR WHEELS TO LOCK UP. THE BD IS ANOTHER ONE THAT WILL WORK ON AUTOMATICS AND AM NOT SURE HOW IT WILL WORK WITH IT. I HAVE A FEW AFTERMARKET ITEMS ON MY TRUCK, AND I THINK THE EXHAUST BRAKE IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I THINK THE BD SELLS FOR 800. I RECOMMEND IT IF YOU PULL QUITE ALOT. SAVES ON THE BRAKES. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY DIFFERENT THOUGHTS?
Old 10-11-2002, 01:28 PM
DPG

According to the folks at DTT, a stock automatic transmission will not last long with an exhaust brake, and it will void your warrantee, at least as far as the tranny goes. If you are going to be hauling for a living, you might want to consider investing in tranny mods to handle the extra stress. I deffinately would not use an exhaust brake on a stock auto.
For one thing, your torque converter will not stay locked up when you back off the pedal, therefore negating most of the stopping power of the e-brake.
JMHO

DeWain
Old 10-11-2002, 04:08 PM

NOT POSITIVE OF THIS BUT I THINK WHEN YOU BUY THE BRAKE, DOESNT IT COME WITH SOME KIND OF TRANNY LOCK TO KEEP THE TORQUE CONVERTOR LOCKED. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING TO KEEP IT LOCKED OR IT WOULDNT WORK AT ALL. I KNOW WITH THE BRAKE, THE MORE RPMS THE BETTER THE BRAKING.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:36 PM

No the brake doesn't come with anything to keep the trans locked, but DTT sells a Smart Controller that you can get to keep it locked, I have one and Love it, It works great.
Old 10-12-2002, 06:30 AM

I HAVE A PACK-BRAKE,ON MY AUTO IT WORKS LIKE A DREAM,WITH A B-D AUTO LOCK BOX,PRESSURE LOCK.WITH THE AUTO KOCK IT HOLDS LOCK UP,KEEPS TRANY TEMPS DOWN AND AUTOMATICALLY SHUTS IT SELF OFF AT 25mph!!MY TRUCK IS VERY HEAVY!!! I KNOW THIS MOD WAS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!! MARK
Old 10-12-2002, 07:51 AM

You guys may want to keep in mind, that on forums like this.................ALL CAPS IS THE EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING, and is generally considered to be bad manners. Lar.
Old 10-12-2002, 05:36 PM

I checked with the Cummins people here in Syracuse Friday. They showed me a letter from Dodge requesting that they DO NOT install exhause brakes on automatics. The service manager told me that they just don't work on an automatic transmission.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:12 AM

[quote author=twhite link=board=7;threadid=5787;start=0#52092 date=1034462200]<br>I checked with the Cummins people here in Syracuse Friday. They showed me a letter from Dodge requesting that they DO NOT install exhause brakes on automatics. The service manager told me that they just don't work on an automatic transmission.<br><br><br>[/quote] <br><br> He's right as far as stock trans, but with the DTT mods and Smart Control they work great. My friend has one and tows 12k lb 5th wheel in the Mts here in Utah and it works great.<br> The stock trans will not stay locked is the reason it will not work. With the Smart Controller if your coming off the frway at say 70 mph and you let off the petal it will stay locked up in OD and at 50mph it will Auto matically down shift to 3rd lockup and at 32mph you pull it into 2nd lockup and at 15 mph or so it kicks out in order to not stall the eng. The above speeds are adjustable to your style of driving.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:20 AM

;D I'm the friend of chuck's that has a pac brake with a auto trans. I have DTT tranny and smart controller this truck runs great. I pull a heavy load in the hills with NO problems at all it is nice to not hit my brakes coming downgrades of mountains
I also have a cargo that is loaded with equipment I use around town and the brake is used regulary on the highways. it was one great investment.. Good luck.