Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   EGT Gauge (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/egt-gauge-148541/)

duramjames 04-27-2007 09:33 PM

EGT Gauge

Installing juice instructions say to drill hole in exaust manifold.It says to use shop-vac to clean up debri. Do you think that I should run the engine while I drill to keep out debri or just take off the manifold.

Raspy 04-27-2007 09:38 PM

I ran mine on high idle and partially plugged the exhaust. Then just drilled it and there was a lot of wind as I broke through. Seems safe enough. Did the same while tapping. A lot of heat but also a lot of blowing air to keep the chips out.

Wetspirit

ratsun 04-27-2007 09:42 PM

On my first one I took the manifold off on the next dozen or so I just stuffed a rag in the tail pipe with a piece of tape to hold it in place and drilled and tapped while it was idling. I have not yet encountered a problem but removing the manifold would probably be the safest way?

2500Ram 04-27-2007 09:44 PM

There are as many ways to drill and tap as there are members on this board.

Most recommend using grease on the drill bit and tap. While drilling use a shop vac. Once you have your hole before tapping get a magnet in the hole into the manifold to get any large pieces. I had none. Before tapping start the truck, anything left in the manifold will come shooting out. Tap, once started make a 1/2 turn in and then a 1/4 turn out. Repeat until your at the correct depth but do not tap all the way through, kinda hard with an NPT tap anyway.

I started my hole with a small bit maybe 1/16" it was small and just used to center the bigger bit. I marked the spot with a marker and used an awl as a center punch and then drilled the small pilot hole. Maybe 15 minutes start to finish. For my 1/4 NPT I bought a new 5/16" forged steel bit and cheap Lowe's hardware store tap. Much easier than I thought it would be.

Good luck.

duramjames 04-27-2007 10:00 PM

Thanks I will use your suggestions tomorrow

wcbcruzer 04-27-2007 10:54 PM

I wouldn't drop the trubo. Just grease the tap and try to get as much out with a vac/rag or whatever. A little bit of shavings won't hurt nothing.

JMT 04-27-2007 10:58 PM

I did it in the dark with a magnet and a bucket of grease. Keep a rag handy and just keep feeling around til you think you got most of it out. No biggie, I was scared to death until I did it.

03 ant a hemi 04-28-2007 09:10 AM

Just drill and tap the hole start the truck let it run for a minute. Then shut it off and isntall the pyro.
Running the truck may cause difficulties if the bit or tap breaks.

duramjames 04-29-2007 10:22 AM

Thanks I used your ideas and it is on.

Dr. Evil 04-29-2007 01:28 PM

Most people worry way to much about this.