Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Durakickedmybutt

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Durakickedmybutt

I had some guy in an excursion floor it off the line trying to get me to bite... : Looked like he had some kind of box 'cause it spit the resemblance of black smoke out the tailpipe. : I just laughed and went about my business down the road while this guy drove like a dufus swerving in and out of any spot he could find open and cutting off a couple of people... save it for the strip if that's your gig... [undecided]<br><br><br>Tony
Old 06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=7;threadid=16022;start=15#151229 date=1056054915]<br>I had some guy in an excursion floor it off the line trying to get me to bite... : Looked like he had some kind of box 'cause it spit the resemblance of black smoke out the tailpipe. : Tony<br>[/quote]<br><br>Could have been a Powerstroked Excursion.<br>I've seen a couple around here with guages on the pillar and 4inch exhaust. (only visible BOMBS)<br>They have some get-up-and-go.<br><br>phox
Old 06-19-2003, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of the hole the Duramax is real strong, but from a rolling start from 25 mph or so, it's not that hard to take them. That lower geared, first gear in the Allison is hard to beat from a dead stop.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:19 PM

Yeah Phox, it was a PS Excursion.... being that I live near and work down the road from the Ford World HQ, I see more than my share of powerstrokes... :<br><br>Tony
Old 06-20-2003, 01:30 AM

Holycack,<br><br>I put the BD short shift kit in mine, and stage 4 injetors. Yes it runs pretty good and you can get some fast shifting happening with the right tranny lube and the short shifter kit. The GM trucks are fast and the electronics on the auto-equipped ones are set to throttle back a little as they develop power and prevent them from going into the 6th gear the tranny supposedly has. <br><br>If you want your truck to get competetive with the GM, you can do it with a box and injectors. I would go to bigger injectors than the 275 though. <br><br>Have fun.<br>
Old 06-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Muted User

I too came to realize early after buying my NV5600 6-speed that it was by no means a tribute to any part of my trucks ability to race. Anything can beat me off the line and long after. But if I'm already in 4th and only have to goto 5th and 6th.... watch out. That 4-5 (5 being direct connect) shift is brutal and will sit you back in your seat. I have 4.10's as well.... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and most of 4th might as well be considered 1st gear.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:11 PM

How do you build boost with a manual from a dead stop. Is it a foot on the clutch brake and fuel pedal.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:44 PM

[quote author=Trashdawg5050 link=board=7;threadid=16022;start=15#151713 date=1056161460]<br>How do you build boost with a manual from a dead stop. Is it a foot on the clutch brake and fuel pedal. <br>[/quote]<br><br>set the emergency brake!<br><br>for me I like the way my BD short shifter works when using Red Line MTL in the box.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:23 PM

Trashdawg, <br>Yes to answer your question.<br><br>--Justin
Old 06-22-2003, 04:31 PM

I think this is a matter for the Old Bull instructing the young Bull. I think most of you know the story. The Dmax might run down and take care of one. But with my 6 speed HO I will walk down and take care of them all ;D
Old 06-24-2003, 10:00 PM

Good luck not stock form trust me!!!!1 :-[ [undecided] :'(
Old 01-23-2004, 10:17 AM

guys the dodge is a much better truck not to mention the cummins engine all the info i have read on it says it will go 1 million miles lets see a psd or a max do that I owned a 6.5 turbo before this and it was more like a car in comparison not ment for power like the ctd and both the psd and max are having loads of trouble want to **** them off just smile when they pull up next to you instigate them then take off slowly trust me it will work
Old 01-23-2004, 11:25 AM

Check this one out...

Customer of mine, with a '01 Duramax, Reg. Cab Long Bed, 2wd, 6-speed..
The ONLY mods are a 4" Exhaust dumping under the bed, and a Home made K&N Cold Air Kit.

A "Hot" Edge Juice, and a Bully Dog Power PUP Programmer.
Stock injectors/turbo/clutch

Running my slicks (You can see them in my picture gallery),

He ran a 13.35 @ 109MPH.

My 12V with ATS tranny, Twin Turbo's, EDM"s, extensive Pump Work, and Head Work, ran a 13.7 @ 98MPH.

I think the D-Max is a great Play Toy. They do very well when turned up. Towing, and empty.

My 2wd 3500 6-speed was running a 14.4 in the 1/4. I could shift lightning quick, and it seems to still be ok, but we are going to have to see how it likes some new found power.... I think it's going to try and jump out from underneath, or act like a turtle and pull in it's input/output shafts in. LOL

Merrick
Old 01-23-2004, 02:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A stock d-max/allison is about as fast as my truck with an EZ and DD2s! So you can forget about thinking that 275s will change things. You should be thinking more like a Mach 3 if you want to have a chance.

A CTD with it's long slow stroke isn't designed for acceleration, plain and simple. It's designed for torque. All other things, being equal, a v-8 diesel will acclerate faster than an I-6. The CTD might even have more HP, but it can't put it down as fast as the v-8s can.

Don't get any delusions from just a basic box like an EZ. Odds are the a TST competition box is what you would need to break even with the DMAX.

If you have a six-speed like I do, then you better have about 60 more hp than the other guy, or you will be embarassing yourself and your truck.

Yes, you will out tow a dmax all day.... But you're not talking about towing, you're talking about racing. Two VERY different things.

Consider that a class 8 tractor typically uses a 14 liter diesel (usually inline 6) and makes up to 600hp.

A F1 racecar uses a 3.5 liter gas engine that is a VEE with 6-12 cyclinders. It makes about 900hp and will accelerate VERy quickly.

The F1 car won't pull 80K pounds, and the Class 8 won't zo 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Racing and towing are two different animals all together.

If you wanna race, you better go big or stay home.

Justin
Old 01-24-2004, 07:41 AM

When I want to race I use my 115 H.P. option. I pull the truck over and roll out my bombed 6 speed Harley. I haven't seen a PS or MAX yet that will get around it