Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Dumb smarty question for smarty users? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/dumb-smarty-question-smarty-users-151546/)

Mike Holmen 05-18-2007 09:33 AM

Dumb smarty question for smarty users?

Whats the most boost you guys pulling, just using the smarty by itself? I can't pull big boost numbers by using smarty by itself. The most I've seen is around the mid 30's. Using the edge comp box by itself, I've pulled mid 70's. Using the same injectors, same turbos.

Mike D 05-18-2007 09:46 AM

I see about the same. The comp adds more fuel than a Smarty.

JLand 05-18-2007 09:47 AM

On my stock truck, stock injectors, and HX-35 with plugged wastegate, I was exactly 35 PSI with the original CATCHER, Smarty-9. When I added RV275 injectors, I used a manual boost controller and could spike to 38 fast and I let off and adjusted the boost to 35. I never pushed it past 38 with my HX-35 so I don't what the Catcher would go to with 275s.

Mike Holmen 05-18-2007 09:56 AM

My truck just doesn't come to life just running the smarty. If I run my box and the smarty together I can pull into 40's on 1X1. Running it that way there is no smoke on spool-up and I still have decent bottom end power. If I got to wot, with no boost, no truck speed lets say at a red light. The truck takes for ever to start to spool my turbo's. If I feather the throttle, then jam half throttle it spools-up fast. I never had this problem prior to smarty. I love it and hate the thing. Its hard to bash the ford and chevy chumps this way.

Ben 05-18-2007 10:56 AM

I only get about 33lbs out of my Super B with the smarty and 150hp sticks. Even tried clamping the hose shut. The wastegate opens at 45 lbs.

I believe molesting the pump wire will cure that.

BUT, I dont the an issue with the truck coming to life. Maybe its because of the small charger.

CapnRam 05-18-2007 01:48 PM

Hmmm... all i'm getting out of my EZ and smarty is 27psi, and this is with a brand new II62/14?? Still waiting on my PM3 though..so hopefully that will change??

Capn

graphitecumnz 05-18-2007 04:24 PM

Smarty and DD3's... 35-38psi all day long...

BigBlue 05-18-2007 08:56 PM

Smarty only I see 45psi. TST and smarty I see 50psi. The smarty is not a heavy fueling box.

NoSeeUm 05-20-2007 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen (Post 1513897)
My truck just doesn't come to life just running the smarty. If I run my box and the smarty together I can pull into 40's on 1X1. Running it that way there is no smoke on spool-up and I still have decent bottom end power. If I got to wot, with no boost, no truck speed lets say at a red light. The truck takes for ever to start to spool my turbo's. If I feather the throttle, then jam half throttle it spools-up fast. I never had this problem prior to smarty. I love it and hate the thing. Its hard to bash the ford and chevy chumps this way.

Noticed that myself, just pukes black smoke with no power. If I give the diesel pedal a slight push, let it have 3 seconds to spool, then it takes of really hard with almost no smoke. I was thinking that maybe the Smarty fuels a bit too hard and douses the flames out to some extent down low in RPM.

Smarty only I can push boost to around maybe low 40's.

Jim

JLand 05-20-2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm (Post 1516624)
Noticed that myself, just pukes black smoke with no power. If I give the diesel pedal a slight push, let it have 3 seconds to spool, then it takes of really hard with almost no smoke. I was thinking that maybe the Smarty fuels a bit too hard and douses the flames out to some extent down low in RPM.

Smarty only I can push boost to around maybe low 40's.

Jim

Bob Wagner has said since the Catcher came out, that you have to learn to drive it, "roll into the throttle" as he put it back then. Seems to work and keeps it from acting like its bogging down. Other heavily bombed trucks have noticed it seems to dump so much fuel early in a drag race start that it loses some time that way. I don't know about all that but it works awesome on my less bombed truck.

Mike Holmen 05-21-2007 10:21 PM

Which smarty setting are you guys running to pull 40ish psi of boost. I can only pull around 26-30psi on the smarty alone. I tried towing with just the smarty, man it made my tranny shift alot as I powered out climbing hills. I have to turn on my comp box and put the fuel up to 3X3 just so I could get up the hills with out shifting down. I'm thinking that I would rather tow just using my box and remove the smarty. The throttle thingy just make the truck lay down at full throttle. I could use my cruise with my smarty for the first time and I didn't get the constant speed-up and slow down. I guess you have to hook-up 10k of weight to get rid of that.