Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

explain plates and rack travel!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
explain plates and rack travel!

looking at pics of all these plates posted here im trying to visualize the fueling curves....ive been to the piers site and noticed the lever adjustment article..with the cutaway pic and the stock plate in there....that stock plate is very weird has no smooth parts whatsoever...its flat on the bottom and then as u travel up theres a sharp staircase...is this where the fueling stops? or does it go over that stair case and then all the way up the plate?? cause id have to feel that heavy defueling and then heavy fueling past the step!

then looking at the 10 plate which everyone is familiar with u start at the bottom lip/tip...then u have a smooth curve up to that spike and then its flat all the way up the plate.....is the whole plate being used? if so why the lil defueling spike?

can someone clear this up for me..cause then there's the 100 plate where the spike is hacked off THEN is the whole plate used?

compared to the stock plates all the other plates are smoother...why would the stock plate give high egts pushed forward? and the others wouldnt as much?

LOTS OF QUESTIONS (i hate guess work...like my truck too much)

Andrew
Old 02-03-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Only about 1/2" of any plate is contacted by the gov arm. Only the lower quarter of the plate is used.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 PM

thanx bill...so basically in the 10 plate the lever stops at the middle spike right?....and in the stock plate it stops at that staircase....travels up a flat surface ?and then boom nothing? im going based on that pic in the piers site if that IS the stock plate
Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 PM

more questions then....the fueling is determined by the amount of groove in the plate right? if the 10 plate had a deeper groove you would get more fuel?? this is the same as sliding the plate forward almost right? thats why people do it?

i wanna get a good understanding for all this hopefully everyone can help...gov springs will have me slide the lever up the same portion of the plate just a lil slower so "stertchign the fuel curve"...so where max fueling (in 10 plate ) in stock position would have been at say 1700rpm, then...addign the 3k gsk would make max fuel occur at 2000 rpm and 2300rpm with the 4 k gsk.....am i on the right page?

Andrew ( i love this tech stuff)
Old 02-04-2005, 10:45 AM

You've got it figured to a T
The plate placement is actually very sensitive, think of it like points on an old gasser. Sliding the plate all the way forward is heavy handed move that doesn't result in the most gain, backing off is a little is better. This is because the gov arm is designed for the plate to be in the stock middle position. This is also the advantage of an aftermarket plate over just sliding the stocker, you leave the plate in the middle where it was designed to be. The plate working better in the stock position is due the sensitivity of the plate combined with the angle the gov arm hits it.

Way to think of plate position is to picture the gov arm pivot as the point of a triangle, the closer or further the plate is from the pivot point the more or less distance on the plate the arm will travel. When the plate is all the way forward much less of the plate face is being used than if it was all the way back. No big deal if you're grinding a 0 or #100 plate with no nubs but plate position makes a lot of difference with an aftermarket plate. The whole idea of having the gov arm and plate decrease fueling is so you don't have to be as concerned with high egts, the plate does it for you. When the plate is ground or in a position other than stock you are more dependent on your foot and gauge. This is fine for some folks but not for others. I personally would rather watch the scenery than my pyro.

Hope this all makes sense.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

Bill, when you're flooring it, the scenery is moving too fast to watch anyhow!!

I drive my truck everywhere... daily driver, long road trips, etc. unless I'm "playing", I never have to watch the pyro...

I'd rather have a big gun and the responsibility that comes with it than a sling shot

Forrest
Old 02-04-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Forrest Nearing

I'd rather have a big gun and the responsibility that comes with it than a sling shot

Forrest [/B]
That's one way to look at it!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:27 PM

yes it makes sense Bill i can understand now why the stock plate is only good for the stock position there's not much room to work with it at all...i can also see from pics on here that alot of the other plates are heavier fuelers than the #10 ..i can begin to understand the versatility of the #10 now more clearly.....

Andrew
Old 02-04-2005, 03:21 PM

the lever only goes up about halfway on these plates huh...so if im idling at 800rpm its at the bottom lip on the 10 plate and then when i reach my cutoff 2800rpm then its at the halfway tip? if i coyld rev to 3500 with a 4k GSK then it would hit the halfway tip at that rpm?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:54 PM

The lever doesnt touch the plate until you start to build around 6lbs or so of boost. But that also changes with different tension springs in the AFC housing..

Rick
Old 02-05-2005, 12:35 AM

mr T asks some of the same questions that i wanted to ask, but just never could put the right words together to make it understandable, i'm learning too, kee askin questions! and i don't know why the stock dodge plate has that curve over top of the "stairstep" if the pump never uses the top section of the plate. you see how that top section has a bit of a curve to it.. why did cummins-bosch go to all that trouble to make it curvy if the pump never sees it?? maybe they just put it there to make us wonder....
Old 02-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Banned

the lever sees it... when you slide it forward, it might not see it as much... that funky lump in the middle of the stock plate is supposed to save the torque converter and tranny when it shifts at torque peak I believe.

Forrest
Old 02-05-2005, 12:26 PM

thats pretty lame...what part of the stock plate does it hit when im pulling at 2600rpm in 3rd gear?
Old 02-05-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by mr T
thats pretty lame...what part of the stock plate does it hit when im pulling at 2600rpm in 3rd gear?
The arm might not hit the plate at all if you're just cruising along, as it doesn't kick in till you exceed 6 psi boost. Part of the governor's (plate, arm springs) funtion is due to load as well as rpms and you feel it's effect mostly during acceleration.