Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Diesel Tuner Shootout??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Tuner Shootout??

I jusy picked up a copy diesel tuner magazine and it has a three way shoot out with superchips, hypertech and edge with the attitude. I thought edge would easily beat the others but according to the shootout hypertech won the whole thing. I was about to buy the edge with attitude for my 01(in the test they used an 02). The dyno showed the edge with the most power but the actual road test has different results. No towing shows the hypertech at 1/4 mile at 17.904mph, factory tuning at 18.340 at75.08mph, edge level 5 at 18.440 at 76.56mph(slower than stock?) and superchips at 18.700 at 69.84mph. The shoot out says that on level 5 of the edge has egts at almost 1500degrees and is always looking for a different gear, it also says nothing about air flow mods(exaust and air in take) and if it is pre turbo or post turbo, but the others were fine anyway. the test was also put on by hypertech. Did anybody else read this and have these types of problems with the edge attitude, I always thought it was the best one.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Ive got an issue of Diesel World and there is a Hypertech ad in there very similar to what you are talking about.

The experiment is aweful in my eyes.

Three trucks are used.
2002 dodge 24v 2500
2003 F-250 6.0
2004.5 Chevy 2500 6.6 Duramax

They tested each of these trucks with with an edge (assuming comp) because of a disclaimer at the bottom stating "edge cautions towing on anything above level 2 and hard driving in level 4 & 5 are not recomended" They tested the three trucks with the Superchips on Tow-Safe because Superchips cautioned towing in High Perf mod due to possible engine, transmission, and drive train damage. But without regard to Hypertechs own warning they tested there own tuner in stage 3, the hottest stage.

They tested each truck towing a 9418lbs. in the 1/4 mile and stock in the 1/4 mile.

The only results they show in the ad are the 1/4 mile numbers towing 9418lbs, no stock 1/4 times are posted.

Here we go.

I can see that Hypertech used their high perf mode against SC tow sage mode which they will win everytime. Also, turn up the edge and let that tests EGT's raise a little and I think edge wins. Then turn loose a 3rd Gen with all those new trucks and let the Juice be used in level 3 with a 6spd and I think that dodge will win. But were not camparing trucks, just an ad so Hypertech can claim they make more power than SC and Edge. If the test were conducted with all tuner and chips at their maximal performance mode I think then you would have clear unbiased results, and maybe some melted pistons. But those companies are rich, let'em do it.

Enjoy,
Jamie

OK after I posted the results got all jacked up, you couldnt read them. The first numer is 1/4 et, then 1/4 mph, HP, TQ and EGT's Good luck, I think there might be a another test on Hypertech's website Ill check it out.

Here the link

http://www.hypertech.com/roadtest.html
Old 05-07-2006, 01:43 PM

After reading some fine print on the Hypertech link I posted I see this under the dodge chart

2 - The vehicle experienced reduced power mode during 1/4-mile runs with the Superchips Microtuner, and Diagnostic Trouble Code P0216 was set.

But only with the SuperChips
Old 05-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Chapter President

I don't get it. Why didn't they use a 3rd Gen truck in their testing?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Using a 3rd Gen would have made alot more sense. But, so would have running the Superchips in the same mode as the Hypertech and letting the Edge chip be used on setting 3 or something similar. Anyone can put together a test to show that their product is the best, and the average diesel owner will not see the fine print and will not know the difference.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 PM

I also thought this comparo was a joke and an obvious Hypertech add.

Heck, they had the Juice defueling on all the trucks and didn't get to make maximum power.

They also dynoed the Dodge with an auto, the Ford and Chevy with a manual, and couldn't figure out why a Superchips for an LLY wouldn't work on a 6 speed truck which only comes LB7(duh!).

I can understand using the defueling feature of the EDGE while towing a pass, but for 1/4 mile and dyno readings, disable the defueling! No wonder EDGE lost at the drag strip, if the thing is defueling the whole time.

I have never been a Hypertech Fan. There stuff for gassers is joke compared to a custom tune and I wouldn't even think of putting one on my Cummins.

Also, on the 1/4 mile times seem like a big of a joke. I ran 17.8 @82 MPH in my 6 speed on Level One @ 5000 ft elevation. Granted mine is an HO, I have exhaust and air intake but also have 35s and 3.55s and am rowing through the gears and that is not a perfect launch either. I would think an auto would run much faster with stock tires on Level 5 then an 18.4 @ 76 MPH.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Glenn that was towing 98xx pounds.

Ya that didn't have all the split times on the hypertech runs.

I will never buy anyhting hypertech ever. Its one thing to be proud of your product but wow make up some more lies.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM

In the magazine diesel builders, they do three comparos

Empty, towing like 5000 lbs and towing 9400 lbs.

I was referring to the empty times and dyno runs. I don't think you need defueling for quick bursts.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM

Well of course you need defueling if your hypertech so you can win, because theres not a chance in hell you can compete with edge.

I still dont understand why they used a 2nd gen in the testing. The hypertech gives like 3hp to the rear wheel or something like that.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Arrow

They used a 2nd gen because they didn't (don't?) make a product for a 3rd gen HPCR system.

Also, the whole thing was put on by Hypertech....Gee....I wonder who's going to win?

Also, from the codes they were gettin out of the Dodge they used...looks like it had some issues.

One other thing to consider. Look at the dyno numbers. The Hypertech on Stage 3 (highest setting) produced almost the same power (within 1hp and 1 ft/lb) as the Superchips on Tow Safe (it's lowest setting). NO WONDER there's no "towing restrictions" with the Hypertech unit!

The "hesitation" they talk about when using the Superchips was present in my truck too. I figured it out that it was defueling due to the MAP sensor telling the ECM there was an overboost ocurring. Thing fell flat on it's face at 2400 RPM or so. I added a boost fooler and Whamo! - no more power loss. Hypertech doesn't do this because it never adds enough fuel to reach high boost #s. Guess it sounds like I'm defending the Superchips. Don't mean to sound that way, just wanted to add some facts to the el crapo article.

As far as the dyno numbers go, a stock SO 24V will put about 200hp and 400tq to the rear wheels. I've seen about 5 different dyno curves from different shops, and they are all about that level. Both the Superchips on low (tow safe) and the Hypertech on high (stage 3) put down about 240hp and 500tq. The EDGE was right in there too, within a few percent. That isn't a whole lot, but it's perfect for me right now. I plan on adding some tranny upgrades, then some RV275 injectors later. Then I'll be done (ya right!).
Old 05-08-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by GlennRMK
I also thought this comparo was a joke and an obvious Hypertech add.

Heck, they had the Juice defueling on all the trucks and didn't get to make maximum power.

They also dynoed the Dodge with an auto, the Ford and Chevy with a manual, and couldn't figure out why a Superchips for an LLY wouldn't work on a 6 speed truck which only comes LB7(duh!).

I can understand using the defueling feature of the EDGE while towing a pass, but for 1/4 mile and dyno readings, disable the defueling! No wonder EDGE lost at the drag strip, if the thing is defueling the whole time.

I have never been a Hypertech Fan. There stuff for gassers is joke compared to a custom tune and I wouldn't even think of putting one on my Cummins.

Also, on the 1/4 mile times seem like a big of a joke. I ran 17.8 @82 MPH in my 6 speed on Level One @ 5000 ft elevation. Granted mine is an HO, I have exhaust and air intake but also have 35s and 3.55s and am rowing through the gears and that is not a perfect launch either. I would think an auto would run much faster with stock tires on Level 5 then an 18.4 @ 76 MPH.
noticed you have the juice with attitude, how to you like it, and what are your egts like, i'm thinking about getting one instead of the EZ, just have get some tranny upgrades first.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Does anyone know which Edge chip they were using?? The Edge EZ should put you close to 260 at the wheels.... that's what I dynoed with the EZ... and would be pretty comparable with the Superchips or the Hypertec. The Edge Comp(or the new Juice) should put you between 300 and 320 at the wheels and isn't even in the same ballpark. I wouldn't see EGT's being an issue when running the EZ as it's very mild and within the stock fueling parameters of the ECM. The Edge Comp can get pretty hot but there are plenty of guys who tow with it and don't have any problems.

but we all know what that 0216 code usually means....
Old 05-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From what I see...you guys are pretty critical of hypertech...I havent read the magazine...just the online article on hypertechs website...and I have to say it definetaly sounds like a sales pitch to me. But I have a hypertech programmer for my truck...and I must say it definetaly woke my truck up. From what I have experience when I dyno'd my truck ...and what hypertech says their programmer will do on their dyno charts....I have to say that they are pretty accurate.

My truck dyno'd on stock programming at the rear wheels > 250 hp 534 tq

My truck dyno'd on hypertech stage 3 at the rear wheels > 270 hp 719 tq

I have got 275RV injectors so that helps a little both stock and stage 3. And overall I only gained 20 hp (peak) and 185 tq (peak)

But, If you look at the dyno chart I gained almost 90 hp at 1800 rpms. From stock programming to the stage 3.

While I dont think that the hypertech is the best programmer out there...nor does it give you the most power...It does work and does give you very usable power.

Late last year I was took 3 FEMA trailers down to southern mississippi (I live in northern indiana) I am estimating that they weighed in at about 7000-8000 lbs. (pic in my gallery)
My truck had no trouble towing that trailer in 6th gear at 70 with 3.54s and 285 tires going uphill...and if I wanted to I could accelerate pretty easily (there is no way my truck would be able to do that stock). There were a couple of times I had to let off because of egt issues...but for the most part that stayed in check and I had more that enough power...this was all BEFORE I got the 275s as well.

now that I have the 275s and hypertech....on stage 3 I can get the egts past 1300.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM

I have 2 agree with andy505 I have a hypertech that i got for free and it did wake it up a lot. and if I run it with my comp It keep on fueling and I'm not sure when It will stop.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:16 PM

I only have it in EZ mode, as I have warranty till July. Also, have my clutch waiting to be installed and Mach 1.6s on the way.

Quick Reply: Diesel Tuner Shootout??