Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Diesel Fuel Additives & Marvel mystery oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the day I bought my truck, I have been experimenting with additives in small quantities. I've used Stanadyne, Power Service, Howe's, CPFF (sold at truck stops), MMO, Lucas UCL, and now FP60 from LubeControl.

The majority of additives bother me because they have such a high content of #2 diesel. HELLO- - I ALREADY HAVE A TANK OF DIESEL! Why would I need more?

Power Service is the worst- it's like 75% diesel fuel. Readily available, but nothing that special, imo.

Stanadyne is great stuff, but didn't seem to have that much of a noticeable effect on the truck's performance (idle quality, mpg, etc). Stanadyne isn't as easy to find as some others are.

Same for MMO. Truck didn't seem to mind it or hate it. It's very inexpensive, which is nice. I've never had a problem finding it, either.

CPFF seemed like a total waste. At least is a small package and doesn't smell like diesel.

Howe's looks like it's just repackaged canola oil. They market it mostly as a lubricator, not so much a cleaner or cetane improver. It's good for lubricity, but I think BIO is a better bargain for lubricity.

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant is one of the few additives I'vce tried that gave me a noticeably smoother engine. I generally have a dislike for Lucas products (snake oil to me), but THIS PARTICULAR product is a good one. (that, and their atf additive). Its sold at most truck stops and Advance Auto as well.

Finally, the jewel in the crown: FP60, or Fuel Power, from www.lubecontrol.com
I stumbled onto this product (and it's companion, LC20) from theBob is the Oil Guy website. It's given me a solid 1.5mpg minimum increase around town, and up to 5mpg increase on the hwy.

The folks on BITOG are very big fans of these two products, so I decided to try them. The FP60 has given me mpg increases as well as the best performance my engine has given yet. It's smoother than ever, and starts effortlessly even when cold (it's into the 30s now here at night).

I also noticed that the LC20 is working well in my Nissan car. The valvetrain previously had a lot of this dark looking varnish on it, identical in appearance to an overheated turbo ("the tan" if that makes sense). It's dissolving that varnish, because I can SEE that the varnish is disappearing. The oil is also getting dark as it dissolves the varnish. Very impressive! My Nissan is loving the Lube Control products as well.

Try the Lube Control and see for yourself if you don't just love the stuff. If nothing else, the SMELL is addictive (keep away from teens, lol).

Justin
Old 09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried the MMO when I first got the truck, but it didn't seem to accomplish anything but make my filter blacker quicker.

I get my Powerservice and Lucas at Autozone, they also sell the Marvel.
Keeps me as far away from Walmart as possible.

I mix the PS 2/3's to Lucas 1/3.

I'd try Stanadyne if I could find it anywhere, don't want to order a large quantity online if it doesn't do much.

phox
Old 09-26-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proverbial third-hand advice - friend of mine says a Cummins tech told him not to use MMO in fuel. It creates carbon deposits on the valves and cylinder heads in diesel engines, the tech said.

Anyone know?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when I talked to cummins they recamended power service. I usualy run 1 pint per fill up or every few fill ups depending on how ofterim gettin fuel. The silver bottle is suposedily better cleaner but has no anti gel. So I run white bottle all year round. it has antil gel and cleaners/lubrecants. the red bottle I keep in is emergancey antigel and I think its good for a load of bad fuel with water too. I *think* im noticing a 1mpg improvement with power service too but its really hard to tell. to many varyables to tell 1mpg.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear Poet
Proverbial third-hand advice - friend of mine says a Cummins tech told him not to use MMO in fuel. It creates carbon deposits on the valves and cylinder heads in diesel engines, the tech said.

Anyone know?
This I know to be a fact.
MMO was once very popular for gas airplanes, you used to see drums of it around airports. After a some engine failures not directly attributed MMO but a common factor in the failures the FFA asked MMO to provide testing and an ingredient list. They refused and the FFA banned the use of MMO in airplanes.
To this day the ingredients of MMO are a mystery. The material safety data sheet for MMO list the ingredients as a trade secret.