Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Control arm options? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/control-arm-options-325224/)

high bid 05-29-2016 09:17 AM

Control arm options?

I have skyjunker control arms and it is now time to replace the bushings...again.
I'm running 3" Carli coils w/king shocks...what options do I have?
I don't mind swapping to a long arm kit but just don't want to break the bank doing it....options and ideas welcome.

SIXSLUG 05-29-2016 11:57 PM

Thuren makes a nice set with rebuild able ends....

City Rat 05-30-2016 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3305036)
Thuren makes a nice set with rebuild able ends....

Curious what was wrong with the skyjacker control arms? I'm getting their 4.5 lift kit and always thought that if I needed to at some point I could swap their out. So curious. Thanks.

high bid 05-31-2016 06:09 AM

The bushings seem to easily wear out and then it creates alignment issues. I wouldn't recommend their lift....been there done that. Their product may "lift" your truck and if that's all you're looking for then good but the ride quality isn't going to be the best.

BarryG 05-31-2016 11:05 AM

Mine are Carli and so far so good. Don't have any experience with others but here are a few
source automotive known for good products and services
Carli known for their stuff and appears you have some
Have heard of hellbent but know nothing, same for synergy and rst
And as a previous poster noted Thuren known for their products

Dodge Adjustable Control Arms, Adjustable Control Arms now.
Carli Dodge Ram Control Arms and Suspension System Components
Dodge Ram Adjustable Control Arms Hell Bent Steel
SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Dodge RAM Truck :: Synergy Dodge Control Arm Kit
https://rstgarage.com/featured/featu...ol-arm-set-red
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pr...trol-arms.html

City Rat 05-31-2016 11:20 AM

Interesting. Good info. I committed to their kit already a) because it was one of the few kits for a 99 2500 4x4 and it priced out cheaper as a kit than to "build a kit" from separate parts and (b) because it came with a gaurantee that my 35's would clear lock to lock no rubbing. That said I always thought that their control arms looked on the less beefy side and that their add a leaf was a joke. My plan was to run the kit and if the control arms fail, at the bushings or elsewhere, upgrade them to Carli or Thuren. Right now my rear leaves look fine but if they fail them swap them out for Atlas mil wraps. I see that you are running Dever leaves, didn't think that they made any for Dodge trucks. How do you like them?

BarryG 05-31-2016 04:11 PM

City Rat
I have a set of Carli Full leaf springs which I believe are made by Deaver. I put them on and liked them a lot. They worked fine for towing our little trailer but then we upgraded to a 5th wheel with substantially more weight. The springs allowed the truck to squat to much for my liking. I could not put airbags on due to my B&W gooseneck hitch. So I ended up taking them off and putting back on my stockers with Kore minipacks. I miss the Carli springs running empty or lighter towing but ......
Guess I couldn't have my cake and eat it too.
So I have a pair of very lightly used (less than a year) Carli full replacement rear leafs sitting in my shed. Darn things are heavy and would not want to ship them but if you are wanting some, in or passing through the Denver Metro area let me know might be able to work out a deal

high bid 05-31-2016 08:45 PM

I only have the 5 leaf pack, not the full set. I don't think you're going to be happy with a SJ lift (you really want to go quality here). I run the carli 3" and have 35"s easily clearing.

Barry -watchcha looking to get for the full leafs?

Barry -thx for posting the links, the Carli arms look to be the best build. Any idea on the options to upgrade to a long arm kit?

BarryG 06-01-2016 10:11 AM

High Bid
I don't know anything about the long arm kits. I did no research on them as I didn't need one for my truck. So far the Carli regular arms are doing well no complaints at all. I am running Carli's Pintop 2.5 which gives a 2.5-3 inch lift in the front and there was not a need for the long arm kit with that amount of lift. IIRC their regular arms are 1/2 inch longer than stock and they are not adjustable.

As far as the rear leafs I will PM you about them.

City Rat 06-01-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BarryG (Post 3305201)
High Bid
I don't know anything about the long arm kits. I did no research on them as I didn't need one for my truck. So far the Carli regular arms are doing well no complaints at all. I am running Carli's Pintop 2.5 which gives a 2.5-3 inch lift in the front and there was not a need for the long arm kit with that amount of lift. IIRC their regular arms are 1/2 inch longer than stock and they are not adjustable.

As far as the rear leafs I will PM you about them.

Actually, I spent a lot g time on the Phone with SJ today as well as Bolsters and others I have very specific specs for a number of things and my truck but what I don't have is an eye to eye length for either Carlos regular control arms or, their high clearance control arms. Anyone running either of these and care to share a measurement?

Btw while on the phone with SJ they acknowledged that for some the control arm bushing wear faster, much faster, than others. The rep was very impressed with the Carli control arms.

high bid 06-01-2016 07:57 PM

If you end up going with SJ, they should have the correct length control arms. I have them and they are the last component on my truck.
Now that I'm thinking about my setup, I think I have my full 4" SJ lift if you're interested?

City Rat 06-01-2016 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by high bid (Post 3305234)
If you end up going with SJ, they should have the correct length control arms. I have them and they are the last component on my truck.
Now that I'm thinking about my setup, I think I have my full 4" SJ lift if you're interested?

High bid, thanks but I already jumped on the SJ kit as it had every thing that I need with a couple of guarantees from the factory.

Danderson 06-01-2016 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BarryG (Post 3305145)
City Rat
I have a set of Carli Full leaf springs which I believe are made by Deaver. I put them on and liked them a lot. They worked fine for towing our little trailer but then we upgraded to a 5th wheel with substantially more weight. The springs allowed the truck to squat to much for my liking. I could not put airbags on due to my B&W gooseneck hitch. So I ended up taking them off and putting back on my stockers with Kore minipacks. I miss the Carli springs running empty or lighter towing but ......
Guess I couldn't have my cake and eat it too.
So I have a pair of very lightly used (less than a year) Carli full replacement rear leafs sitting in my shed. Darn things are heavy and would not want to ship them but if you are wanting some, in or passing through the Denver Metro area let me know might be able to work out a deal

I concur on the ride afforded with Carli's full leafs.
I rode in a guy's 2012 F-250 with a Carli 2.5 pintop system with their leafs. Great ride with the airbags intact. They self destructed down there somehow.

All he's got on it is a fiberglass shell with contractors rack and a rooftop tent.
One trip to Baja and he's back. Too soft. Deaver added some extra leafs and
he's good to go.

high bid 06-02-2016 06:15 AM

Do you see the movie Tommy Boy and oil filter guarantee clip?
When my SJ track bar drop bracket made of solid steel began cracking, the SJ guarantee wasn't worth their words or written paper. They wanted me to jump through so many hoops and testing of their broken product it just wasn't worth it. Not trying to discourage you at all, just my experience. Rant off :)

BarryG 06-02-2016 09:38 AM

City Rat
I can say the Carli regular arms are 1/2 inch longer than stock. I will measure mine this weekend , well that is if I remember while I am under there doing some other maintenance stuff but will try to get it done.

Might be worth a quick call to Carli's to get it straight from the horses mouth as opposed to me giving it a good shot while they are attached to the truck.
Also while it may make no difference and shouldn't I know on the 94-02's there were two different size bolts that could be had (aside from the two different size bolts from the upper and lower arms). I wouldn't think that would change the length any but I don't know for sure. On my truck they were the larger of the two choices.