Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Cold Weather Timing Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Weather Timing Shudder

I can not run any timing box in the fall/winter months. I am thinking of bumping up to mach 4 running fuel only. Who else tows daily with a set up like mine with just 150hp sticks.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:52 AM

I have never had timing shudder from cold, here in oregon or when I lived in Missouri. what exactly are you describing? make sure all connections are clean and good for your edge and you vp tap. are you getting enough fuel? is it just when the truck is not at full temp? etc. describe more if you can
Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 AM

I am sure it is cold weather related. I can switch to a tst power max and it does not do it or use a smarty on even numbers and shudder disappears. I have studied this on these forums for a couple years and it always seems it is the 2001 year trucks.

I know everyone is saying just run the tst. I would really like to just figure this out. Also I have tried different MAP and IAT sensors.

My truck gets used everyday for towing. I am just thinking about going old school for power that is why I am asking about the 150s
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM

I have also changed both fuel and water filters, and took all connections apart and used dialectric grease when put them back together.

Also this happens when temps hit app. 50 on down so on a day when it warms up it will go away.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by HevMetl
I have also changed both fuel and water filters, and took all connections apart and used dialectric grease when put them back together.

Also this happens when temps hit app. 50 on down so on a day when it warms up it will go away.
well you could play with your timing on your smarty. see what is the less worse combo 150 are great I didnt loose any mpg when I went from 75's to 150's I know on my truck since its a HO I have alittle more timing than a SO pump I cannot run high timing on my truck. I get a timing knock. same for the fuel saver mode if to much timing is added. but I will get this year around. but I can say on the mornings that the temps if they do get to freezing my truck is really a donkey anyways untill I get it warmed up. I try not to go more than 15lbs on boost. I know long ago people were having a cold timing issue with the edge EZ when it came out long ago.
I'm assuming on your smarty you have the REVO software on it.
good luck
Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 PM

I had the revo and switched it back, but funny thing is with sw 3 (revo or OE software) I struggle to hit 27 lbs of boost. and get the shudder. With sw 2 I can hit 32 and no shudder. I tow daily and do not mind the torque management sometimes I think it is the only thing that keeps my tuck alive.

I also had the cold weather shudder with the old VP I now have the special X and is much more pronounced.

I am almost tired of tinkering with boxes and programmers. That is why I am wondering about larger sticks the mach 1.6s alone are just not enough.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 AM

Isnt the special x vp the one with more timing to help with mileage? May be a dumb question...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Yes it is but it also shuddered with the old one that had 250,000 miles
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with Edge boxes has always been to have some cold weather timing rattle. Not harmful in my opinion....just there when engine is cold.
I believe the Smarty has a more advanced (progressive) timing advance, and that explains no rattle when cold.

RJ
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM

This happens with warm engine and driving speeds when you start getting on the skinny peddle and start building boost.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HevMetl
....funny thing is with sw 3 (revo or OE software) I struggle to hit 27 lbs of boost. and get the shudder. With sw 2 I can hit 32 and no shudder.
I
Makes perfect sense. SW3 (and all odd #'s) on Smarty adds timing..... on top of the Edge timing. SW2 (and even #'s) does not!

RJ
Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 AM

I have NEVER stacked them like that only one at a time or smarty on even#s (fuel only) plus the edge.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Don't feel alone, my '02 does the exact same thing, when the temps drop I tone down the Juice & turn up the Smarty. Summer is usually Juice on 6 (hot) and Smarty on 2 or 4. Winter is Juice on 1 or 2 and Smarty on 8. I have just gotten used to it and yes it is the timing, the cold temps advance the timing on these engines and the Edge boxes push the envelope with timing, combining the two equals our current predicament. We just have to adapt our approach, don't let it keep ya up at night like it did me before I learned what was going on.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM

Hey I just noticed we have pretty similar builds!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM

Well I pulled the mach 1.6 out last night and put in my old RV 275. With the smarty on 3 and the tst either on or off it ran just fine (500 mile trip last night and today)

I just got done removing the tst and smarty and put the edge comp back in and all seems OK (short test drive) I will know more in a few days.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Timing Shudder